“Heaven on earth!”
Review of Katikies Hotel

Katikies Hotel
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed 17 April 2014

In my opinion, this is THE place to stay in Santorini (I did a lot of reserach and visited some other hotels during our stay). First of all, Oia is really beautiful, not as touristy or crowded as Fira and also more convenient regarding restaurants and shops etc. than Imerovigli. And in Oia, Katikies just has it all: The property is perfectly located at the beginning of the marble path that leads you to the centre of Oia. This bears a lot of advantages: Not only will you be transported right to the front of the hotel and you don't have to hike for another 10 minutes with your luggage. Its also very convenient to access your rental car or taxi. Also you can easily walk on the marble pathway and do not need to walk on the street with no sidewalk just to get to Oia (e.g. Perivolas).

The property is dramatically perched on the volcano rim offering breathtaking views of the Caldera and Thirassia. It has been upgraded for this season: The cave-pool has vanished. There is another big infinity pool instead on the same level. So, it's three (!) infinity pools now and there is plenty of room for lying down by a pool (compare: Perivolas only has one main swimming pool). The hotel is so tastefully designed. It's all white, very minimalistic but still providing the utmost in luxury and comfort. We stayed in a junior suite: Big room with king size bed and small sitting area. Nice terrace overlooking Oia and the Caldera. Suite provided BOSE Hifi with an iPod shuffle and some music playing everyday when you came back from your activities. Separate spacious dressing area with safety box. Bathroom very simple, shower only, but plenty of towels and great Bulgari (Thé vert) cosmetics (the big bottles). Also, a big bottle of water everyday, on arrival a bottle of white Assyrtico (thats the local wine) and fresh fruits and cookies delivered. Also, handwritten welcome note by the manager. Breakfast is included in the price and a la carte. You are allowed to order as much as you want. It is either delivered to your room and you can have breakfast on your own terrace or in the room. Instead, you can also go down to the pool and have breakfast there.

The highlight about our fabulous stay was actually the service: I have not experienced any place where everyone seems so genuinely friendly and interested in making your day. Front desk was awesome, esp. Sophia, Maria and Nikos as well as the manager himself. We arrived very early in the morning (7 a.m.). Since our suite wasn't ready by then, we were offered complimentary (!) breakfast by the pool. Everyone was even very apologetic about not being able to give us a room at 7 a.m. We got the our junior suite No.12 at 11 a.m. and were offered a possible upgrade to a senior suite after another hour. We declined since the junior suite was great. Also, instead of booking a taxi for visiting the Akrotiri excavations, they offered us their own hotel car at a price cheaper than a taxi as they were worried we would have a hard time finding a taxi for the way back since the Akrotiri excavations are in some kind of remote location on the other opposite side of the Island. The hotel's driver Dimitris was very nice! He even waited for us during our visit to take us home again and would not charge extra for the waiting time of approx. 60 minutes. We had a very nice conversation during the drive. When we asked about the opening hours of the museum, they would not just look it up but also ring the museum to inquire the actual opening times... On our last day, since we booked a late flight to Athens, late check out was offered at 16:30. And we were able to used hotel facilities just before our departure... Shortly before our departure for Athens, Sophia from the front desk even wrote us a list with things to do in Athens and places she thought we would like there.

I have become a big fan of Katikies and it's incredible team: Thank you so much for a wonderful (albeit too short) stay. We will be back soon, for sure!

Room Tip: Junior suite is fine! Double rooms tend to be a little on the small side
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
7  Thank xiaocai

Reviewed 17 April 2014

The hotel Katikeis was the best hotel I have ever stayed in. Not only were the facilities excellent but the staff were exceptional - attentive to every detail, friendly and made you feel at home. I cannot say more about Assistant Manager Sofia, Manager Alejandro and Maria. They fully accommodated our every need and always with a smile and warmth. The service at the pool was exceptional. Very professional and concerned to ensure that you were comfortable and having your needs met.

The location is impeccable and the facilities , view, pool, ambience and service top notch. I have already recommended to friends and Collin and I plan to re-visit.

We feel like we have become a part of the Katikeis family. We could never stay in another hotel on Santorini. Thanks Sofia, Alejandro, Maria and all your wonderful staff at the pool and chef for making this the best vacation I have ever had.

Hope to see you again this year!

Room Tip: a room with a balcony and view is worth it, if you want to have some privacy while taking in the vie...
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 April 2014 via mobile

Unfortunately I just have the option to give them a review of 5 stars if not it would be of 10 stars, the town is beautiful, the room is even better, the staff is extremely kind and helpful, nothing can't be better, thanks everyone

Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
3  Thank Mario M
Reviewed 16 April 2014

It is easy to find a luxury hotel , but it is not easy to find a hotel expressing the luxury in the most natural way of minimalism. The room, the swimming pool, and the view is the best. But my favorite parts are the music, food and staff. The music is softly existed every place in the hotel, even in our room.I have to say the hotel has the good taste to choose the music; The food is tailor made, which means you order the breakfast and the place you liked to eat; The dinner is wonderful as well, i don't want to go other places to have dinner after i had once in hotel; The staffs are very professional and proper,they don't interrupt you,but when you just show a sign, they come to check whether you need help,which is very considerate and decent; the reception is great and they always response quickly when you need any help . Of course, we will come back.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 April 2014 via mobile

From the moment you arrive to this gem of a hotel in Oia, you are greeted with overwhelming kindness to ensure a pleasant stay. The staff will do everything to meet your needs so you can focus on a relaxing...or action packed holiday full of dining, shopping and sunsets! If you are here for a specific reason, anniversaries/birthdays or the like, you will be given top notch service and pampered beyond your desires. Vacationers beware...there are about 200 (tiring) steps to the furthest room but with each step you will want to bask in the breathtaking views of the Oia city bluffs surrounding this magical location...

Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank ReflectiveEscapes
Reviewed 5 January 2014

We went to Katikes Hotel in late October and went on the recomendation of trip advisors reviews.

We were not disapointed it was out of this world with fantastic staff and facilities.

The view from the resort was second to none and the sunsets were breath taking.

We were there for 7 days and it seemed other guest which were mostly Americans or people getting married were only there for 2/3 nights .

We will definanitly be going back.

Room Tip: We were up graded to a superior suite which had breath taking views.
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
14  Thank ian s
Reviewed 17 November 2013

This place is all about pleasure and relaxation. I was afraid, very afraid, that this would not live up to my expectations (especially at these prices). I have memories of booking beautiful minimalist all-white hotel rooms elsewhere and ending up in what looked like an old couple's living room. This was a special treat for us, so I wrote in advance to the hotel to ask for an all-white room, to ask for a private balcony if at all possible, etc. I think we booked a Senior Suite. If you are afraid too, I can say this: I am certain that the wonderful management here will go out of its way to make sure you are happy (Alexandros and everyone were wonderful). Even in June we were upgraded to a Honeymoon Suite. There is never a hard sell, as I've sometimes found at other upscale hotels; when they needed a few extra minutes to prepare our room and invited us to sit at the restaurant while we were waiting, we were asked if we would like some water or anything else (rather than pressured to buy a cocktail or lunch, etc.) Santorini is a stunning, stand-out experience, as is this hotel. It's definitely worth it if you can afford to go at least once. I deliberated between this and Perivolas and I was glad we came here - we were right in town and Perivolas is a small walk from the main drag (not bad, but I like being able to run up to get a bottle of water or whatever in 2 minutes). The complimentary breakfasts are wonderful and you can order as many dishes as you desire. I don't understand the people who write to say they could not get loungers to sit by the pool all day, because I cannot understand being on such an historic island and wanting to spend the entire day at a hotel pool (Akrotiri? Red Beach?). We used the pool when we came back from our day and late afternoon it is no longer busy but just as spectacular. I loved it. We were in Suite 10, I believe, (the one nearest reception). I am going to try to post 2 videos of the balcony if I can figure out how!

Room Tip: Suite 10 is a beautiful suite very close to Reception and to the main drag if you want to climb less...
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple