“PERFECT for the Honeymoon!!!”
Review of Katikies Hotel

Katikies Hotel
Ranked #14 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed 2 September 2009

After looking at about 1000 reviews on tripadvisor, my wife and I decided to stay at the Katikes for the Santorini leg of our Greek honeymoon. What a great choice it was! From the first moment we arrived, the manager Vassiliki came out to greet us and gave us some nice champagne. We were very relaxed after the drive over when the driver came into the airport to help us with our bags after the long trip to Greece.

We were shown our room, given a tour and settled into our room. The room itself was very nice, it was a two floor suite and had wine and fruit waiting in the room when we arrived. The property itself is beautiful and in a nice part of Oia just at the beginning of the promenade with all the shops and restaurants. Yes...there are steps...but you are in Santorini, every hotel has steps. The pool is beautiful and the service at the pool is amazing to say the least. They serve lunch poolside which is very nice and the food was great. In the afternoon they bring by frozen towels and watermelon for the guests at the pool. What else could you want?

Breakfast was brought to our room every morning. Frankly, it was amazing! The greek yogurt was awesome as were the different "pies- spinach, cheese, etc." brought every morning. The view of the caldera from our room was amazing, but really every inch of the hotel has a great view of the caldera.

As as aside, like an idiot I left my hanging bag on the plane, Vasi the manager spent the whole week trying to get it back and succeeded. She TRULY went out of her way to help me out of the problem, and help with everything else during our stay as well. Alex was very nice to deal with and had some great restaurant suggestions.

While you are there, have lunch at Thalami, the food is awesome and the view is good too. Dinner at Sunset Taverna (get the spaghetti with lobster, its amazing) and Ambrosia were great. Also restaurant 218 or 208 is great as well, so was 1800.

* I noticed some of the reviews of people who had problems with their reservations. Please do not be deterred by this. We met some people who experienced these problems, it was a glitch apparently and they all seemed to be compensated very well for their troubles. Had

Overall, the Katikes was amazing. The rooms were great, property great and the staff was even better. I cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TravelandFoodFanatic
There are newer reviews for Katikies Hotel

Reviewed 21 August 2009

We island hopped in Greece, just got back. The trip included 2 nights at Katikies. Oia was beautiful and unique. I would definitely not stay in Fira if going to Santorini. The hotel: Katikies was great. It it stuck, literally, on the steep hillside dropping away from the start of the walking tourist area in Oia. The rooms were cool, caves in the hillsides, and the service was extraordinary. We were given frozen hand towels at the invisible edge pool. The views are amazing and all of the staff we met were friendly and open. Through American Express platinum our room included a daily breakfast, which was brought to our private balcony overlooking the Caldera. The area was filled with honeymooners and I wouldn't go there if I was single with friends. They were very helpful with transportation to the port. One slow internet connection if that matters and they had the usual collection of nice soaps and things in the room.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mooneysox
Reviewed 16 August 2009

The hotel has a wonderful location with an incredible view. However, the rooms are quite small and DO NOT have a view at all. There are no bathtubes in the senior suite. Moreover, the pools (3) are very small and there are not enough towels and chairs for all guests. The transfer from/to the airport is not included in the rate. The restaurant has 4 tables and you can book for a 30 min session for dinner. We have paid as much for a bungalow in other places, for instance Bora-Bora and St. Barth, but service, privacy and the overall standard were much better than here. Definitively overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank portoalegre11
Reviewed 12 August 2009

My husband and I celebrated our 5 year wedding anniversary at Katitkies in late June. We specifically booked with them after reading the rave reviews here and decided the splurge was worth it considering the anniversary. My worry is the reviewers here confuse the beauty that is Oia with the hotel. Oia is beyond beautiful, it is breathtaking. Sitting on our balcony, drinking wine was an astonishing site. However, that is the end of the beauty when it comes to Katikies. The best place to start is by saying that after I booked my hotel (through their own website), I emailed 3 times trying to get them to confirm they had our reservation and ask some questions I had about transportation to and from the port. Finally after no response I emailed the "Small Luxury Hotels" group and asked for their help. Not surprisingly I received an email from Katikies that was quite short and not apologetic about not responding. This should have been the clue that the customer service here was beyond repair.

Once we arrived at the hotel we were pressured into moving to their "sister" property that was probably 15 minutes out of Oia. We of course declined and had them take us to our room. The room was very dated. From the television (we never turned it on, but still) to the bedspread to really everything. The air conditioning was only in the bedroom, so the bathroom was always quite stiflingly hot. Our balcony was dirty and we requested it be cleaned time and time again. This is where we were to eat breakfast and there were dead bugs everywhere! My husband asked to move rooms and was told we couldn't move until evening the next day, so we dropped it and tried to make the best of it.

Again, the setting is beautiful and I will say one particular gentleman at the front desk was quite helpful in giving directions and renting a car, but the rest of the front desk lacked any kind of customer service. Even simply things like dinner reservations were met with attitude. Then, when we were not informed of a massage appointment cancellation we were treated horribly. We had rushed back to the hotel from visiting the black beaches to make 4pm massage appointments. Upon arriving back at the hotel we were told the technician was running late at another hotel and would arrive shortly. Then I was told to head back to my room and they would call when she arrived. Finally I was told she had an emergency and couldn't make it. I understand things happen, but why did the story change 3 times in the course of 15 minutes? Also, when I tried to speak with the manager about how I was treated regarding the situation she yelled at me. Yelled! I was speaking nicely and asking for something (like maybe a free drink or something) and she yelled. Completely inappropriate.

Our last night at the hotel we arrived back to the room to find a gigantic bug nestled in the sheets. This was the icing on the rotten, over priced cake. I would not recommend anyone to Katikies. Anyone. There are plenty of other beautiful, luxurious hotels in Oia and when we return our reservations will be with them.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
5  Thank cursedtravel1023
Reviewed 8 August 2009

We spent 5 nights a Katikies what a dreamy place - impeccable service and such dramatic scenery - Wow what a view!
Our room was gorgeous the bath products all Bvulgari outside there was an infinity pool that catered for just 3 rooms and was available to lounge at in the day
Breakfast was the highlight absolutely wonderful and so fresh and healthy the champagne in the mornings really set the scene!

I loved Katikies its away from the crowds and you can feel like an A List star do go and try it out

Dina & Murat

Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank D A
Reviewed 31 July 2009

me and my husband come back from our honey moon in katikies hotel santorini.
the hotel is absolutly perfect. The service more than super b.
we had a very nice room 32 right in front of the pool and we had breakfast every morning in our baranda.
The reception was very friendly and helpfull with EXCELLENT recomendation for dinners and activities around the island.
After 6 days in santorini we realise that our farydaile has ended and we promise that we will be back to katikies for sure.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 30 July 2009

When my newly appointed wife and I decided to head to Greece I must say that she was a bit apprehensive. We had agreed to live, eat and play as is tradition in Greece, which is a far cry from a typical day in Bozeman, Montana. We were both very much excited to try new things, but it’s a bit difficult for someone from small town America to adapt to things as exotic as Boureki, Lachanosalata, Ouzo, Leonida's Monument, and well all the other things that one hears about in Greece.

I must say that the people at the Katikies were fantastic at easing us into the life of an everyday Greek couple. They slowly introduced us to all of these different new things and encouraged us to proceed at a pace that fit our level of comfort. For the first couple of days we just hung out and the pool, took walks down the trail to the water and sampled the ouzo. When we retired to our room each evening, we felt relaxed and refreshed thanks to the massages at the spa. If there is one criticism I must give about this place, it’s that my wife seemed to enjoy the spa more than I did. I always came out of the treatment feeling like I should take a nap, but she was always giddy. The sunset views of the Aegean Sea from the room were spectacular and we made the most of each and every evening we spent there.

We highly recommend this place to anyone looking to experience Greece.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank IraLipschitz
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oia
Andronis Luxury Suites
Kirini Suites & Spa
Kirini Suites & Spa
#11 of 56 in Oia
Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel
Art Maisons Luxury Santorini Hotels Aspaki & Oia Castle
Atrina Canava 1894
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel

Been to Katikies Hotel? Share your experiences!