“Fantastic experience” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #8 of 55 Hotels in Oia
NJ
“Fantastic experience”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2010

Stayed at this hotel for 3 nights in early September. I had just spent some time in Athens, and on Rhodes, so this was the last stop for me. From the moment I arrived, it was an absolute delight. The staff were wonderful - helpful and accommodating. They went out of their way to make sure your needs were addressed. I arrived before my room was ready, and was quickly ushered to the pool area for some breakfast. The staff there were wonderful, and made sure I had everything I needed, And, the breakfast was delicious and fresh. All of the facilities were very well maintained and clean. I was lucky enough to get a room upgrade, and it was truly special. I ended up staying in one of the original cave houses. The bed was set up on the loft area inside. The whole room, including the bathroom, was spacious. I loved the dressing area that was down a few steps from the main living area. Breakfast was had daily on the balcony in front of my room. I was also steps from the smaller infinity pool overlooking the caldera. Wonderful way to start the day. Food and drinks from the pool area and mini-bar were pricey. Since the hotel is right along the main pedestrian pathway in Oia, I was able to quickly and easily find meals and water off the premises. Great location for a say in Oia. The only thing I could possibly complain about was all of the stairs. But, I don't think you can expect much else from a hotel built into the side of a volcano. It made the experience that much more memorable.

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (139)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Canandaigua, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

From the minute you arrive on property you will have the vacation of a life time.
We were greeted by Alex the General Manager who helped make our stay absolutely amazing. We were quickly checked in and shown first of all the property and then to our room. Lugage whisked to our room and was offered to be unpacked by the valet which we graciously declined....but we knew that this was going to be top notch service at this small luxury property.
Our room was perfectly comfortable and immaculate.
Breakfast each morning was graciously served to us on our terrace overlooking the caldera and was terrific. What a way to start your dayWe also enjoyed the onsight restaurants as well.
The property has two infinity pools overlooking the caldera as well as a hot jacuzzi as well as a cave pool. This provide many restful areas to enjoy the views of the caldera and the steps down to Armeni wharf.
The resort is located right off of the walking path providing many shops and tavernas nearby.
The entire staff was most attentive and highly professional.
I truly hated to leave this property.
The only issue at this resort would be for travelers with issues negotiating stairs.
I would definately wish to return someday to this property and location in Oia.

2 Thank tcimike
Fairfax Station, Virginia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2010

We just got back from Santorini, and we moved to the Katikies Villas from the horrible VIP Suites. Katikies was heaven on earth. Everything was white, and all the incredible staff wore white. The bed was devine with tons of beautiful pillows, and everything we touched was modern, clean, and comfortable. The wifi was free, and transfers to and from the hotel were also free. We were given a cell phone with a pre-programmed number so that we could contact our personal service person 24 X 7. We paid $500/night but it was worth it after finding bugs in our bed at the VIP suites. If you can afford it, stay at Katikies Villas.

Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2010

Katikies is an excellent hotel, with 5* service and it made the final few days of our honeymoon very special. The shuttle service from the ferry port was very prompt and our driver was very friendly, giving us a lot of insight into Santorini as we drove north to Oia. Once in the village, the hotel was very near the beginning of the tourist route, which stretches along the last mile of coastline.

The hotel is a cliffside village of traditional house shaped into caves, and all connected by staircases. The shared pools are on the lower levels, out-of-sight from the tourist street. The views in all directions are nothing less than dramatic!

Ok, so big plus points: The staff are exceptional - helpful, friendly and likable. The poolside restaurant has superb food and drink selections - and not overpriced! Having breakfast served to your room or private veranda is a must. The views out to the cresent bay of Santorini are spectacular, and although the sun will set over he far side of Oia from the hotel, the town itself acts as a beautiful horizon. The small restaurant in the hotel (only 4 tables) has an exceptional menu, but staff will also make any further recommendations on restaurants (and sightseeing) throughout the island - let them book your places, you will always receive excellent service when you get there!

The few minus points I have are mainly in the layout of the hotel: Although our veranda was spacious, we shared with one other suite and it was well-overlooked by the tourists just one level above. The room was basic and we were a little disappointed in the whirlpool bath. The areas around the shared pools can be a little cramped when the hotel is busy and with absolutely everything painted white, the brightness of these areas (even with sunglasses) could become overbearing.

Katikies is definitely one for couples. The service provided by all staff and extra activities such as wine tastings will really impress on a romantic break. The location is handy for the busy tourist spots of Oia while being on the quiet end of the town center. A swish modern hotel that lacks some character in appearance, but more than makes up for it in service.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 August 2010

We loved staying at the Katikies hotel! I would definitely recommend it!! The staff was excellent, the room was excellent, the pool was excellent and the view was spectacular!! I can not say enough things. If you wanted anything someone was right beside you to help. Actually, they would ask you if you wanted anything before you even actually realized you wanted it.. Ice cold drinking water at the infinity pool... done, Would you like the pool umbrella opened, done. Do you need a taxi into town...done. Right in the middle of the heated afternoon they will come around the pool area and offer you ice cold towels that have a nice and relaxing scent. The service was as if you were the only couple in the hotel. Breakfast is included and fantastic you can have on the balcony outside of your room or by the pool area while looking at the Caldera view. Even after we checked out they continued to help us with restaurant reservations and ATV rentals. The room was so nice and clean. They even have an I-Pod playing relaxing music when you first walk into your room. Would definately recommend this hotel!!

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 August 2010

I went to propose to my girlfriend. I called them up and asked for a room with a balcony over looking the caldera to propose. I arrived and it was taken care of personally by Alexander the hotel manager. They gave me a mobile to call him directly. I had a butler for the night and Alexander kept all arrangements secret from my girlfriend.
As a surprise he upgraded us to the honeymoon suite for one night. Service went beyond expected. Best ever been to.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2010

I went to Katikies with a wonderful swimming pool picture in my mind, as reference of what was expecting me. For my frustration, Villa Katikies is not Katikies Hotel, although if you stay at Villa Katikies you can join the services offered by its "cousin", the superb Katikies. With rates a bit inferior of the lasser, Villa has a small pool and only one guy to help you with everything you need from the bar, meals and luggage. Nothing compared to its cousin, except the brilliant service offered by the guest relations, who help you with everything you may need in both hotels. Villa stays 100 meters from its cousin, and for sure you will spend the day at Katikies pool, joining the food, drinks and nice music.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oia
Kirini Suites & Spa
#18 of 55 in Oia
Filotera Suites
Filotera Suites
#1 of 55 in Oia

Been to Katikies Hotel? Share your experiences!