“A dream but pricey”

Ranked #21 of 55 Hotels in Oia
froth007
“A dream but pricey”
Reviewed 23 April 2010

One of my ultimate favorite. All the white and blue dream! We absolutely adored our room/little cave. It is so romantic and peaceful. I want to go back already...if only it was not so pricey.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
United States
Reviewed 12 April 2010

I've stayed in a lot of nice hotels in my day and been to Greece several times and, well, I think Perivolas is kind of overrated. First the good stuff! The hotel is charming and it's a very, very beautiful view (absolutely breathtaking). It's built into the cliff side like most of the hotels in Santorini and overlooks the ocean and part of volcano. Amazing sunsets! The rooms are white, beautiful and clean.

Now the bad stuff! The pool is small and it felt like we were constantly trying to compete with other guests for "pool time," which is ridiculous for hotel this expensive. Also the service wasn't very nice. Some of waiters and staff had attitude and were very rude. They also don't have enough help. It took forever to get anything (room service, towels, etc.). It would be fine if the place was considered simply a nice hotel but for as expensive as it is, it is not worth it.

• Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
9 Thank wanderlust050
Alice Springs
Reviewed 27 February 2010

There is, a little piece of Heaven, right here on Earth. A year ago I dreamed of going to Perivolas. 10 months later, I am now dreaming of my return next year. Peace of mind, magnificent surrounds and caring staff who attend to your every need can be found there. Whether you want solitude or a base for exploring Santorini's many wonders, Perivolas is a sanctuary, day and night. The staff, rooms, views, and resturante are outstanding. The wondrous sounds of the wind along the cliffs, birds, church bells and an occasional fishing boat chugging along the caldera waters sets the perfect scene for "stepping off" our busy world for a short time and taking time to rest the soul. Go there!

• Stayed April 2009, travelled solo
3 Thank AliceSpringsSmiley
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 28 November 2009

This review is well overdue. We stayed at Perivolas in the first week of May as a sort of belated honeymoon / last trip together holiday. We scoured the internet for weeks trying to choose our accommodation and while there are certainly several great places to stay around Oia, this was our first choice. Thankfully for us, they were running a deal during April and were kind enough to give us the same rates and an upgrade for our stay. Although paying the deposit is a bit annoying - ie: had to send a cheque - everything else went smoothly. The staff were amazingly helpful and friendly. I was 26 weeks pregnant at the time and they very kindly upgraded us again - we didn't ask - to a superior room. This meant I didn't have quite so many stairs to climb! The pool is as beautiful as the pictures and alhtough it's not heated, my husband made it in a couple of times. It's not for the faint-hearted though! I'm sure it would've warmed up significantly over the following few weeks. That said though, the jacuzzi is great, as is the sauna. We ate in the restaurant all but one night as we found the ambience idyllic (we were often the only ones eating there), the view spectacular (over the pool and out to the sea) and the prices were pretty much the same as those in restaurants in central Oia. The food was great but more importantly, the service was fantastic.

It's true there aren't many amenities in the rooms. There's no TV, but we survived! There is a little stereo though so it's worth taking some CDs with you. We didn't have any but the reception staff kindly loaned us a couple of theirs which were perfect to listen to while reading outside. The superior rooms are very private with your own balcony area.

The thing that made this stay for us by far was the service. From the cleaners to the reception staff to the waiter in the restaurant, everyone was friendly and overly helpful. It was 5 star service withough the arrogance that you often get in big resorts. These people treat you like good friends and are happy to chat if you want, without being intrusive.

We also thought the ferry/airport pickup/dropoff was amazing. The website says there's a cost, but when I enquired, I was told it was free. It's a long drive from the ferry so much easier than trying to get a taxi or bus.

All in all, it is definitely a pricey option, but if you can get a good rate, I would highly recommend it. Just beautiful!

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CTS29
atlanta
Reviewed 26 November 2009

After reviewing several hotels on tripadvisor.com we decided to stay at Perivolas.This hotel was a rare experience. If you are traveling to Greece do not miss staying in Oia on Santorini. Pay the extra dollars to stay in Oia it is worth it. Trust me. This hotel offers great views and walking location to Oia. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tgpashley
New York, NY
Reviewed 14 October 2009

My husband and I have been fortunate enough to be able to travel quite extensively over the past few years and we both agreed that this was one of, if not the most beautiful hotels we had ever been to. Is the service the best we'd ever had? Maybe not, but it was definitely very very good, and the sheer beauty of the hotel, pool and our room, the bounty of the breakfast and the amount of fun we had laying by the pool drinking and eating to our hearts content way overshadowed any complaints we might have had about the service (of which we can think of none, by the way). Is it cheap? Not at all, but if you can afford it, this place is a little piece of paradise in the Cyclades.

• Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank nickandb
chicago, il
Reviewed 11 October 2009

This may sound like an oxy moron but the great thing about Perivolas is that you get the feeling of being in a traditional Greek home (including having to put your TP in the trash can and minus a shower curtain) but with the most amazing views, a fabulous restaurant and incredible customer service. This is the place to stay in Oia and Santorini for that matter. Anytime we told anyone where we were staying they had heard about it or had seen it. It's perfect because you're close enough to the village of Oia to walk to restaurants and shops, but you're far enough away that it's off the beaten path. The views are breathtaking, the infinity pool is probably one of the prettiest in the world. I could have stayed at Perivolas for my entire trip... if only I had the money. The restaurant has traditional Mediterranean food with an upscale slant. The rooms are beautiful white washed caves with blankets and linens that I think they loomed themselves at Perivolas. The staff is so friendly and the rooms are cleaned twice daily. We stayed here for our honeymoon and it was well worth it. If it wasn't our honeymoon though, I think I might have considered one of the other Oia hotels that I've heard are amazing and half the price.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple