“Quiet Hotel”

Perivolas
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed 2 August 2007

We stayed at Perivolas July 18 - 23

Room: Our room was very nice. Upon arrival they greeted us with a complementary bottle of wine along with a fruit and cheese tray. We stayed in the executive suite. My husband and I went, along with a friend of ours. We had two bedrooms. After being there a while, I realized there was no television in our room. I thought this would bother me b/c I usually like to watch tv before bed. However, there is so much to do in Santorini and I was very tired by bedtime, so who has time for tv? However, we did have a cd player in our room. (If you like to have your music with you, it's a good idea to take your iPod and speakers with you.) The shower was on the bathroom wall (about waist high, like the typical European showers), with no walls around it. So, if you use it the entire bathroom floor gets wet. However, our suite also had a really nice steam shower that was enclosed, so we usually just took our showers in there. We had a private pool which was very nice. We had a great balcony area with the pool and a table.

Sidenote: They had a converter for American appliances, but it didn't work. Luckily we took our own. My friend who recently went to Europe had a converter, but her Chi iron still melted. So, I took a straightening iron with different temperatures and set it on the lowest. It seemed to get really got even on the lowest temperature.

Staff: Very accommodating. Room service is prompt. Kelly at the front desk is a Greek-American. She is very nice. Front desk staff is very helpful. The room service staff brings what you request, quietly and inobtrusively.

Pool: We had our private pool, so we didn't really use this one, but looks very nice. We went to it one afternoon, but it was really quiet (and we're not, haha) so we went back to our pool at our room. The pool temperature was nice, for the few minutes I was in it.

General: This is a nice hotel. It definitely has great views of Santorini. It was a little to quiet for us, but I'm sure this is just what some people are looking for.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Luci_1213

Reviewed 1 August 2007

We went to Perivolas for a perfect two night three full day stay in a junior suite at the Perivolas for our five year wedding anniversary. It seems as though the people with negative reviews in previous posts had different expectations for Perivolas. As noted in the Perivolas website, it is “intimate and informal” as well as coined by other reviewers, rustically luxurious. During the first two
days you could tell that all the guests there really were respecting the amazing views and rustic beauty of Perivolas. Each couple would quietly talk to themselves without altering the mesmerizing peacefulness that is Perivolas. Although the hotel was full my wife and I most of the time were the only people in the pool. The hotel never felt crowded. We so enjoyed the peacefulness and that we almost
embarrassingly only left the hotel for dinner and to stroll around Oia (the “center” is only about a 15 minute walk away) a few times. We quite happily enjoyed breakfast, lounged in the sun, went to the sauna, steam room, Jacuzzi, to the pool…and repeated the process over
and over again. It was such a relaxing stay. The views of the caldera
from everywhere on the property are astounding. When we first arrived
and throughout our stay, we were mesmerized watching toy sized giant cruise ships puttering across it.

The hillside perched infinity pool really is beautiful. My wife and I often hooked our arms on the side of it and just stared down across
the caldera. It is not a huge pool (probably 10 feet by 20 feet give or take), but at such a small hotel and property at such a premium is
a larger pool really needed? I appreciated that the pool and Jacuzzi were open 24 hours a day; we noticed other hotels that closed theirs promptly at sunset.

And yes, as noted by negative reviewers Perivolas is not the Ritz. However, the cave rooms are very distinctive and unique. The floors of the caves are finished in a smooth cement and the walls are a white plaster. There are no T.V.’s or CD players; and a phone and small refrigerator is really the only modern convenience in the room. The beauty of this is that you never hear a noise anywhere on the property besides people talking and soft music coming from the hotel bar (if you are sitting near it). The beds are quite comfortable and set into small cavey nooks in the rooms. Our bathroom
was small and cavey with a small (one person shower :^) which got the
floor a bit wet. The rooms are minimalist, but quite attractive. We had our own terrace, however due to the cliffside setting ours and most others had a walkway passing along next to it. We did not ever notice anyone passing on it besides the cleaning lady and our neighbors a couple times. We had a little kitchen and sitting area in our cave as well, but besides sleeping and changing, we spent a majority of our time in and around the pool. Our room was cleaned with fresh towels delivered twice a day.

And a complaint voiced by another person, is what I found as quite desirable. There is not staff hovering over you waiting to take your drink order or racing to be at your beckon call. But that is what makes this place so amazing. You and your special someone can sit undisturbed tucked away under an umbrella on the hillside for hours.
Anything you want is just a few steps away at either the pool bar or at reception. The hotel staff are very warm and friendly and were by no means hiding from you. When I asked for a beverage or a towel, they were delivered to you wherever you were sitting. Delicious meals
were always served piping hot and were delivered promptly.

Breakfast is “serve yourself” and consisted of fruit salad, fresh bread, jam, pastries, yogurt, cereals, honey, hard boiled eggs, cheese, cold cuts, nuts, dried fruit, fresh squeezed orange juice, pie, coffee/expresso…The “serve yourself” is very tastefully done, so erase any images of a college cafeteria. There isn’t a monster omelet station and waffle bar as maybe others might hope, but we were very pleased at breakfast each morning. You could chose to have breakfast in the restaurant/bar area next to the pool or bring it to any location you wanted (your terrace, by the pool, tucked away on the hillside…) and eat for as long as you wanted. I always brought my
tray back as a matter of common courtesy which was always met with a sincere thank you. I suppose you could request of the front desk to have breakfast delivered to you at your room, but with only 17 cave rooms none are that far away from the pool area. And besides what is cuter than wandering down to get your loved one a cup of coffee and pastry to eat on your terrace overlooking the Caldera. One morning I did that at around 8:30 and we headed down for breakfast #2 a couple hours later.

And if you don’t like cats, do not go anywhere in Greece or Cyprus. There are part of the islands charm I suppose and you will find calendars and postcards of the “Cat’s of Greece.” There are a few
“pet” cats roaming around Perivolas (and I’m sure every hotel), but they are by no means strays. We saw the same three or so cats during
our stay and enjoyed their occasional antics. There are not hordes of mangy cats wandering through the property begging for food.

Again no where is absolutely perfect, but Perivolas is pretty close.
Perivolas only takes cash/wire transfers/ travelers checks (no credit
cards), a laundry basket and cleaning supplies did stay on our walkway for a couple hours on our day of departure, the shower (no tub) was small, and the area around the pool could have used a one or two more umbrellas. We did not notice stained toilets or chipped fittings, as the complex is quite new it is surprising to hear another poster mentioning that. But possibly, maybe we were so content that we were not looking the little flaw here and there (I did notice a weed by the pool though :^) Unfortunately on the last day, two American couples arrived and broke the unspoken tranquility rule, and interrupted the two full days of peacefulness with constant
unending stream of loud chattering by the pool – oh well. We overheard them saying something along the lines of “I can’t believe we got shooshed” referring to a previous hotel stay, so hopefully they were just a Perivolas anomaly.

Yes, Perivolas costs A LOT of money, but at some you just have to bite the bullet and accept that this is going to be a very pricey part of your vacation and forget about the exact dollar amount you end up spending. If you are concerned about the price, are the nitpicking don’t want to lift a finger are going to count every cent you spend and each one better be worth it, and are expecting a Paris Hiltonesque she she Ritz Carlton, do yourself a favor and stay elsewhere. We are by no means “high rollers,” but for us on our anniversary this two night splurge was so worth it. The rooms are so strikingly unique, the views are incredible, and hotel grounds are beautiful. Our memory of Perivolas will be cherished as our honeymoon was five years ago.

One final thing, if you do go to Perivolas, please try and speak softly and remember the “unspoken tranquility rule.”

• Stayed: June 2006, travelled as a couple
6  Thank bulamrpaul
Reviewed 9 July 2007

We visited in the first week of July 2007 and had a supremely relaxing time in a beautful hotel with great service.

I really do have to question the type of people who have written poor reviews of Perivolas - where, I wonder, would they be happy? I'm sure its not somewhere I would want to go !

This is a place to come to for relaxation. If you want lots of action or a beach holiday - this is not the place. If you want to drink in one of the most stunning views I have seen anywhere and to use the spectactularly positioned swimming pool, this really is the place.

The view is simply breath taking - we and others just spent hours looking out over the pool to the unbelieavably blue sea, enfolded by the far rim of the caldera. There are other good hotels, but the pool and the general layout are not rivalled anywhere.

The staff were always available if you needed anything, but not at all in your face. Complementary cherries, grapes, iced tea were circulated to people round the pool area. We were welcomed to use the hotel facilities outside the check in and check out times - which we did - using the pool and showering before leaving.

The place is not over run with cats.We saw 3 in total. They stayed outside lazily sunbathing. I am highly allergic to cats- but these were no problem at all.

The most annoying thing was a couple of guests who plugged their mobile phone in by the poolside and spoke in out of place loud voices. They were very much the exception. And after a couple of hours, like everyone else, gave in to the realxed vibe.

The sunset at Oia is best from behind the hotel - go up a little way uphill - or from the tip of Oia - you need to see a lot of exposed sea to the West get the best effect.

If you book directly with the hotel, complementary transfers are arranged. A guide book and quick internet work before going there will give you all you need for out of hotel activities. There is also a tour operator office a short walk away in Oia. Mini market shop one minutes walk away. Nice reasonably priced (hot) food was available at the hotel all day long.

We stayed in a suite (room 18) for 2 nights and a studio (8) for one night. They were both great, with all you need and terraces with amazing views. In the studio, the shower does wet the floor -but so what ? Its Greece, and the staff clear it all up before you return to the room.

We stayed at a cheaper hotel in Kamari for 3 days as well, as a base for sightseeing and swimming in the sea - but we couldnt wait to get back to Perivolas for our last night to relax and soak up the views and setting.

It is a lot of money, but if you use it properly, its well worth it. The small number of clients meant that the pool, teraces, jacuzzi, steam room etc were never over run.

• Stayed: July 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank michaeluk
Reviewed 15 June 2007

We just returned from a two week vacation in Greece. We stayed at Perivolas for four nights in early June. I am a seasoned traveler and my husband and I have stayed in many 5 star hotels. I am also a bit of a hotel freak and I am very picky about the places we stay. We were absolutely enchanted by Perivolas. I can honestly say that this is the most special place I have ever stayed. I completely agree with other positve reviews that point out that Perivolas is not about opulence or overstated luxury. It is about subtle luxury and the experience of the hotel.

The views are breathtakingly gorgeous and you can sit out for hours and just stare out over the caldera and loose track of the day. The infinity pool is gorgeous (although it is kept at a cooler temperature as is common in Europe. Americans have to work their way in to the pool!). And the outdoor jacuzzi is wonderful. The gym is well appointed and has the same amazing view of the caldera. I found the "spa" area of the hotel particularly nice - it includes a sauna, steam room and multi-jet showers. My husband and I used it almost every day !

We stayed in suite #5 (which I believe is the next category of room above the junior suites). We loved our little house. The furnishings are lovely and it was very nice to have our own kitchen. We bought snacks and cold cuts at the mini market nearby and sat on our terrace for lunch each day. The light blues of the bed spread and sitting area pillows were such a nice complement to the white cave walls. Extras such as welcome wine and daily bottled water were very appreciated. #5 is near the pool area, but we felt it had a good deal of privacy. It had a nice large terrace with an umbrella, 2 chaise lounges and a table and set of chairs. No terrace at Perivolas is completely private (nor is any terrace in Oia, as they all look out to the caldera over each other). However, some terraces had more privacy than others. We were comfortable with our privacy, knowing that occasionally guests or staff would walk by but that mostly we could sit and look at the uninterrupted view.
The bathroom was certainly not the focus of our suite, but we had no problems with the shower. Yes- water would get on the floor of the bathroom but it was really not an issue. The shower was a typical European hand held shower nozzle that had a stand for it to be used as an overhead shower.

The staff at Perivolas were amongst the most professional, experienced and unobtrusive that we have every seen. They are always available but never intrusive. Especially the restaurant and pool bar staff keep constant watch over the guests to anticipate any need they may have. And we truly enjoyed the breakfast buffet every day. We found it to have a wide range of offerings (yogurt, cereal, baked pastries, meats, cheeses, sweets) and you could also have eggs cooked to order. You can have the breakfast brought to your room, but we so enjoyed the service of the staff and the views from the pool that we ate at the restaurant every morning.

Periovlas' location is very nice. You are away from the road and the hustle and bustle of tourists but you need only walk 15 minutes to Oia . We really enjoyed the walk to and from Oia on the evenings we went in to town.

This is a very special place and I would especially recommend it for a romatic getaway!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
6  Thank luckyshannon
Reviewed 11 June 2007

We just returned from a three-week stay in the Greek Islands and our four days at Perivolas were clearly the highlight for both of us. The hotel is by far the most special place either of us has ever stayed; everything was perfect, from the room, the view, the first-rate service, excellent food and personal touches, such as fresh bottled water and coffee in the room.

I'll try to be a little less gushy and a little more specific. The owner created the place himself, building the romantic cave-houses into the side of the island, the result of a volcanic eruption. The rooms have a spacious and etherial quality, all white paint with a few pastel accent colors.

The view? To cliffs, perfect white houses and the sea. The only sound is the sound of the wind, as it causes the ropes to clank gently against the umbrellas. There's no sound of automobiles, noisy tourists or even the staff. We realized after a few days that the staff take such great care in their service that we had not even heard the sound of dishes clanking carelessly as a table is cleared.

The food? First-rate. The chef? A wonderful and welcoming character. We encountered the chef as we were leaving the hotel in search of food. An outgoing and charming Englishman, he said to our request for where we could find a good dish of lamb, "Actually, I make rather a nice lamb right here." We took him up on his offer, eating our meal with a view to the infinity pool and over to the sea as the remanents of the setting sun lit up the last of the view. And, like all good Englishmen, his commentary on his lamb was "rather an understatement." His lamb was terrific, and he generously shared his recipie.

We agreed that the service provided by the staff - understated, professional, and exceptionally competent - rivaled the Ritz Carelton, one of our favorites.

We plan to return!

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
4  Thank gogogo16
Reviewed 5 June 2007

I just stayed here with my partner for the weekend. We had a great time. The location of this place is just superb. Everything is near by and the service is impressive. The room was immaculate and spacious. It’s a small hotel, which made all more charming. The best part is the view that looks the Aegean Sea, which was breath-taking. Another thing is that there is parking. This is great for couples not family oriented location. This hotel is truly a gem! I cannot say enough about the staff as well as the hotel itself. This was an excellent choice for us. We will definitely be back ~

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
3  Thank stevense
Reviewed 26 May 2007

We stayed in Perivolas for four nights last week. It was a great break, lovely setting and very relaxing but the place is just too overpriced for what it is.

Our cave room was pretty basic, it was impossible to have a shower without soaking the entire bathroom and the resulting dampness meant the place was infested with woodlice every night. The shutters on the doors and windows had been painted with such a thick coat of paint that most of them would not close (to keep the woodlice, cats and dogs out)!

The staff were very friendly and the pool and sauna area are lovely - especially the power showers (which I resorted to using instead of soaking the room). My husband also thoroughly enjoyed the trip but he doesn't know how much it cost!

I think Perivolas was only about half-full last week while other places I tried to book back in February were already fully booked then. I think the high prices must be taking their toll on bookings.

There is also the issue about not accepting credit cards - this means carrying a vast amount of cash or travellers cheques. Plenty smaller establishments in Oia accept cards so I don't see a legitimate reason for demanding cash payment.

All in all, I would definately go back to Oia - it's beautiful - but I would book earlier and stay somewhere other than Perivolas. I'm quite sure you get better standards and the same view for your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple