“Excellent location, hospitality and views”
Review of Chelidonia Villas

Chelidonia Villas
Ranked #31 of 58 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed 20 November 2012

Santorini visit was spectacular in thanks to our hosts, Rosa & Erika, proprietors of Chelidonia Villas. We had personal attention by having the fridge stocked with simple necessities and a bottle of Santorini wine. Kitchen had fruit, coffee & drip coffee maker, as well as electric hot water pot. Toaster and hot plate for cooking. Located among shops, bakeries and restaurants. Perfect location for watching sunrise & sunset on villa patio. We wanted rest and relaxation and the villa provided that environment. Daily maid service and assistance with getting to and from the hotel was much appreciated. This was a step back to a simpler way of life with no TV and noise. We stayed in larger villa that had kitchen, dining room (table for 6-8), private bedroom and full size bath with shower. The decor is simple but elegant. Picture of actual grandparents of former owner on wall in living area. We learned a lot about history of Santorini and how the hotel survived the earthquake in the 50's. This place is lovingly maintained by the owners and it was an honor to stay in their "home." For a full glorious 5 days we basked in the beauty of Greece and all of it's culture. I can't imagine staying anywhere else on a return trip!

Room Tip: All rooms have breathtaking views.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 November 2012

While in Athens decided to visit Santorini and we got this place as a recommendation....beautiful place!!! We stayed three days and enjoyed every single minute of our stay. The hotel is run by a family that takes care of every single detail making you feel comfortable and at home, thanks Rosa and Erika for your great hospitality! The location is very convenient is just located where all the restaurants and shops but very private looking over at the caldera that set the mood for a very romantic stay with my husband enjoying from sunrises to the most spectacular sunsets and the best pictures of our trip. The place is very clean and detailed, everything you need for your stay (no TV...but who needs one in a place like this!), upon our arrival they will greet us with a bottle of wine, fruit in our room, what a nice treat! We got a unit just perfect for the two of us, very cozy and cute, with a nice balcony to spend our time. We will remember this trip as one of the most beautiful locations we have stayed.

Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We spent a week in Oia at the beginning of October. The weather was glorious and our accommodation fulfilled all the promise of the reports we read here before we made our decision to choose Chelidonian villas.
Our villa looked east to the sunrise, sitting having a cup of tea on our terrace watching the sun rise each morning was a fantastic way to start each day. The villa comprised a main room with a dining table, a bedroom with an exceptionally comfortable bed (and a large ornate rock protruding from the corner of the room above the bed!), plus a small kitchen with shower room and wc at the far end. Our cave house certainly became a comfortable haven for us during our stay, with incredible views to enjoy, not only throughout the day, but in the evenings with a glass of wine in hand too !

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 September 2012

This is just a perfect location! We loved being able to sit on our terrace with a glass of wine, just drinking in the beautiful view of the Mediterranean, and waiting for the throngs of cruise passengers to clear out before venturing out for dinner. (We loved the neighborhood cat that adopted us while we were there!) The rooms are carved out of the stone and white washed, traditional cave houses - not fancy, but comfortable, clean and nicely appointed. The owner was very helpful, helping with internet access and laundry while we were there. We loved this spot, and look forward to a return trip.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DSHMinneapolis
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We stayed at the Chelidonia Villas this past August for 5 nights and had an incredible time again. Erika and Triantafyllos are incredible hosts that welcomed us back to the Villas as old friends. The Villas themselves let you step back into 19th century village life while still having our creature comforts. You truly feel like you are have your own cave home while you are staying here and the new caves they have added (the Honeymoon Suite, the new villa and the new studio) are beautiful and updated while still having that same traditional Greek cave charm. The Studio even has a large boulder that juts out from the wall that brings Santorini into the bedroom.

We had stayed at Chelidonia 5 years ago and though Oia has changed a little in that time, the incredible views of the Caldera and the village have stayed as timeless as ever. Having your morning coffee on your private terrace while taking in this one of a kind masterpiece paints a picture that will stay with you forever.

We were in the same Villa as the time before because it was only one level below the street and less than 30 stairs. I had knee surgery 4 months before the stay so I was not up to too many stairs but I must say that had I visited the new caves before we chose our room I would have stayed at the Honeymoon Suite. It was just a few more steps down a different path than our place but when you get there it felt even more private. That said our villa was wonderful. You have a small but adequate kitchen for making breakfast or afternoon snack, a dining area/living room and then a private bedroom with a large ensuite bathroom. The rooms were very clean and the bed very comfortable. We definitely enjoyed our time spent inside during the heat of the afternoon. The cave had AC and in August we ran it during our siesta but the caves themselves never get too cold or too hot and I doubt you would need it in other months. I think I finished one book and started another during our stay and I have not had time to do that for years. We went on a wonderful wine tour and also a guided tour of Akrotiri the incredible volcano buried minoan city (get Georgia if you can) but other than that we just enjoyed Oia, our wonderful Cave and a few of the restaurants like Skalas.

I know there are other villas that are more expensive and I guess they are a little more full service with breakfasts or bars or they have a pool but if you want to get away from it all in a quaint, romantic setting and with the same or better views then Chelidonia Villas is the best choice for getting the most for your money.

It also helps that the owners are wonderful people with Triantafyllos being one of the few remaining Oia natives living in the village. His story of the great earthquake in the 50's when he was a small boy to his running off to be a merchant sailor to his years spent in the US dodging immigration, learning English and painting famous NYC bridges to him and Erika's love story, to the two of them and their wild ride as Oia went from a sleepy village to one of the top vacation stops in the world helped bring Oia to life in a way that you don't get in one of those other places. Ask him about his winery or if he has any of his homemade Vinsanto around or just where the best gyro in town is and he will steer you the right way.

How Chelidonia Villas is not #1 in Oia on TripAdvisor is beyond me except they don't hit you up for reviews like some of the other places probably do. When we come back to Oia the 3rd time it will be to Chelidonia Villas and I'm already looking forward to it.

Room Tip: The Honeymoon Suite has a jacuzzi on the terrace and is very private. I will stay there the next ti...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank stressboy
Reviewed 3 September 2012

Oia is truly breathtaking, and the cave room experience it truly unique. This is why most of the cave rooms cost a small fortune. Chelidonia Villas; however, was very reasonably priced, and was just steps from the heart of Oia.

Every villa has phenomenal views of the caldera, which we enjoyed while sipping on our complimentary bottle of local wine. My wife and I stayed in a Villa XL with our two young buys. It was extremely spacious and well-maintained. We all loved it.

The owner is a terrific guy. He really went out of his way to make us comfortable. He even went out and bought me a bag of Greek coffee and taught me how to make it after I told him how much I liked it. (I made a fantastic cup, if I say so myself!).

Thank you for a phenomenal stay!

They don't take credit cards, but don't let that discourage you. Paying with Paypal is easy.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank winthorw
Reviewed 22 August 2012

We stayed in "villa xl" for 4 nights in mid July with our 2 teenagers. This was our first destination on our 2 week island hopping.
The villa was really beautiful, and the view from the terrace was breathtaking. The villa was very centrally located, just a few flight of steps down from the main street of Oia.
During our stay we booked a catamaran caldera tour through the hotel. Before booking we were a bit worried if the large boat would feel too crowded and considered a smaller boat. However the hotel recommended booking the day tour which would properly be less crowded. Thank you! This tour was just perfect. We were only 10 people on this fabulous large catamaran. Great value. When the tour ended 40-50 people were waiting for the sunset tour!
We also tried some of the restaurants recommended by the hotel and they were really nice. My personal favorite is Petros which serves really nice fish dishes.
This was the most expensive hotel on our holiday - but it certainly was great value. The villa was perfect and so was the location. And the Caldera view from the terrace ... I just wish I was sitting on the terrasse right now!

Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family