“Wow ! I have always wanted to stay in an original...”

Review of Danai House

13 reviews | other travellers have booked this property
Holiday Rental House 2 Bedrooms 1 Bathroom Sleeps 3 Pets not allowed Save
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

4.5 of 5 bubbles Very good - based on 13 reviews

amanda_IO...
Ryde, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 August 2013 for a stay in June 2013
Wow ! I have always wanted to stay in an original cavehouse
people found this review helpful

We only stayed for 2 nights,but i will cherish the memory of our 30th wedding anniversary forever.We were met by vasilius,a warm and friendly porter who carried our embarassingly heavy suitcase with ease through the heat and crowds to Danai House.Got to the gate,and felt such a rush of happiness!This place is the real deal of cave houses.It is smart,original,homely,has nice touches,...It has heart. The outside area is all yours and you dont feel overlooked.Dani House is so central to everything ,yet a two minute walk and you find yourself near all the main restaurants and shops,but sitting on your patio looking at the caldera view you seem to have it all to yourself.If you like an original feel,superb location,a place to yourselves, you cant go wrong here.

5 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 4 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
4 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: original cave house
Liked least: no kettle
Older travelers
MarcoJ764
Milano
Reviewed 12 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013
Beautiful views from a typical house

Conveniently located in beautiful Oia, despite being in the center of the village is quiet. Marvellous views. It is a traditional house thus there are little nuisances if you are staying in four people (access to bathroom is through main bedroom).

4 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 3 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
3 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 4 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
Victor N
Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil
Reviewed 5 May 2013 for a stay in March 2013
Gorgeous house in the most beautiful place in Greece.
people found this review helpful

When I first looked the photos of Danai's House I thought it was too perfect to be real. I went there and can confirm that everything is just like in the photos and the house is amazing, almost magic. It was the best choice in my entire travel to Greece. Maria is adorable and the house is very clean and comfortable. I will definitely stay there again in the future. I recommend it to all my friends. The house is located in Oía with one great view of the caldera and one spectacular moonlight.

5 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 5 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
5 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 5 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: The house structure
Liked least: Nothing. Everything perfect.
People with disabilities Older travelers
Large groups
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
toveostre...
Stavanger, Norway
Reviewed 22 April 2013 for a stay in April 2013
Peace and tranquility
people found this review helpful

great location, perfect veranda (might get hot during summer but umbrella :)), the best service from Maria, highly recommendable

5 of 5 bubbles How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 4 of 5 bubbles Overall condition of the property
4 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 4 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
Friends getaway
Randy G
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed 25 December 2012 for a stay in October 2012
Best spot in Greece - maybe the entire world.
people found this review helpful

You know how you find a property, you look at the pictures, then you look at the price, and you think, "hmm... I wonder if this place really is that good." Well this one really is!

We had an adventure from the moment we deplaned on the runway in Santorini. We hopped aboard the bus (1.60 Euro), and took our first Greek adventure to Oia (changing buses in Fira - really easy with so many friendly Greek people, and I would travel this way again for the authentic experience).

When we arrived in Oia, it was dark. I couldn't work out how to use the payphone, but my Australian mobile phone finally picked up a signal, and I phoned Maria, who sent her Porter to collect us. Moments later, a deeply tanned man named Vasilus arrived on foot, introduced himself, and hoisted one of our large suitcases over his shoulder to lead us to Danai house on foot at an absolutely cracking pace.

It was such a rich experience. He led us down the narrow streets and stairways of Oia for about 10 minutes dodging other tourists, pausing only to recommend places to eat (with discounts if you mentioned his name), until we reached the gate of Danai house. The property measured up to our expectations in every way.

It is a quaint little cave house of tiny proportions that served us perfectly. Since we were purely there to observe the beauty of Santorini, I couldn't have imagined a better place for us. It was so authentic - perfect for us.

When we woke up that first morning - I could see light beaming through the main windows. When I looked out the front door, I was amazed at the beautiful sunrise. I thought I was still dreaming. I took out the camera and started snapping pictures for about half an hour just from our doorstep - not wanting to miss the picturesque sunrise over Oia. Everything about this place was decidedly perfect. It felt like a dream.

I have attached a few photos to show what I mean - this spot is perfect. I am glad we stayed away from the larger establishments, and opted for the authentic experience here instead.

I couldn't imagine a better spot for us (a couple of photo enthusiasts); and to be honest, we didn't spend a great deal of time in Danai house. We were only there to sleep, wake up and take in the beautiful sunrise, make eggs in the mornings, and use it as a base while we explored Oia.

Danai house had a very basic, but sufficient kitchen for making eggs for breakfast. It had air conditioning, a small fridge (great for keeping a supply of cold drinking water), a toilet & shower (tissues in the rubbish, not the toilet), a basic queen bed (plus some couches to sleep others if required), and a beautiful outdoor terrace to eat in the morning. Perfect for two people.

The only caution I have is that for older people, the stairs in Oia might be difficult. But that means Oia would be difficult - not just Danai house.

This place was like a dream, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is there for the BEAUTY of Santorini. I am so glad we stayed in Oia (not in Fira), and that we booked Danai house to witness the amazing sunrise that this place has to offer. It is not a 5-star luxury hotel, but it is so special in its own way that if I went back to Santorini, I would book it again in a heartbeat.

I have already recommended Danai House to family and friends if they ever head to Santorini - it was so unique and special for us that I would recommend it to anyone. My apologies if this doesn't cover all of the typical information that is shared in reviews, as this is my first one, and given the amazing experience we had at Danai house, and the fact that it had no reviews, I thought I owed it to write one.

I have added my photos to show the genuine beauty of Danai house using our wide-angle lens. Some of our best pictures were from the front terrace in the morning, which rivalled even the most beautiful sunsets that we observed in Oia.

I LOVED this place! Great value for money and great location! A photographer's dream.

3 of 5 bubbles How easy was key pickup/access to the property? 4 of 5 bubbles Overall condition of the property
3 of 5 bubbles Bedding & mattresses 3 of 5 bubbles Kitchen & utensils
3 of 5 bubbles Bathroom cleanliness 3 of 5 bubbles Other facilities & amenities
5 of 5 bubbles Service
Liked best: Sunrise on the terrace
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Week
Month
Make Enquiry
How to book this rental
Submit an enquiry to the owner using the above make enquiry button
The owner will respond with a quote.  We encourage owners to respond within 24 hours
You will be able to send additional messages and pay for the quote through the TripAdvisor Rental Inbox
Payments made through the TripAdvisor Rental inbox are covered by Payment Protection
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.