“HEAVEN ON EARTH!”
other travellers have booked this property

Review of Danai House

Check Availability
Request to Book
Make Enquiry
Very good
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

Sydney, Australia
“HEAVEN ON EARTH!”
Reviewed 30 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013
people found this review helpful

Having booked to stay here based on one review I was alittle anxious to see what Danai House was going to be like especially as Santorini
was our last stop on a 10day island tour.
I can honestly say it was just as I had invisioned and more! As soon as you enter the house you feel at home, I loved the décor with every piece of furnishing carefully placed with thought and gave it that traditional feel .Our only regret was we didn’t stay here longer !!!!!
I slept on the bed in the front lounge area so every morning I had amazing window view of the ocean with the sun shining in!!!
Every morning we would have breakfast outside in the courtyard and even our last night we decided to eat outside on the courtyard and take advantage on the beautiful view!
There was aircon which was great as August was soo hot and humid.,The house is right in the heart of Oia, 2mins away from the famous spot where
all gather around to watch the sunset..and convenient to all shops and restaurants.
I cant say enough about Maria and Vasilis.We were greeted by Vasilis who graciously carried our suitcases and pointed out to us where to find bus stop,atm, best restaurants on the way to the house and all the amenities within house.We saw Maria the next morning ,a lovely woman,very friendly,gave us advice on how best to spend our time
and was eager to help us in any way she could and gave us her mobile number and stressed to call her at any time.
While we were there for the unfortunate incident of power and water outage, Maria and Vasilis were fantastic! Vasilis came and supplied us with 6 x 1litre bottles of water which we found such a nice gesture and Maria came to check on us regularly to see how we were and if she could assist in any way.
This was beyond anyone’s control and the whole island was in the same predicament but it honestly did not affect our trip at all and as I said if this was going to happen anywhere in the world let it be in Santorini, heaven on earth :)To be honest,it was actually quite pretty seeing just candles lit up at night and made you think although no water and electricity at times, noone could take away such luxuries as Oias beautiful sunset!

The day we departed Vasilis met us at the house and helped us with our bags to the taxi rank and Maria came to say goodbye and could not apologise enough for the water and electricity which was certainly not her fault.
We definitely left the best till last!..I would definitely stay at Danai house again..probably in the quieter months as August was very touristy very busy.I don’t think
I would ever leave!!

How easy was key pickup/access to the property? Bedding & mattresses
Kitchen & utensils Bathroom cleanliness
Other facilities & amenities Service
Liked best: the courtyard
Liked least: restaurant on top
Travelling group: Extended Family
Friends getaway Large groups
amanda_IO...
Ryde, United Kingdom
“Wow ! I have always wanted to stay in an original cavehouse”
Reviewed 19 August 2013 for a stay in June 2013
people found this review helpful

We only stayed for 2 nights,but i will cherish the memory of our 30th wedding anniversary forever.We were met by vasilius,a warm and friendly porter who carried our embarassingly heavy suitcase with ease through the heat and crowds to Danai House.Got to the gate,and felt such a rush of happiness!This place is the real deal of cave houses.It is smart,original,homely,has nice touches,...It has heart. The outside area is all yours and you dont feel overlooked.Dani House is so central to everything ,yet a two minute walk and you find yourself near all the main restaurants and shops,but sitting on your patio looking at the caldera view you seem to have it all to yourself.If you like an original feel,superb location,a place to yourselves, you cant go wrong here.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: original cave house
Liked least: no kettle
Older travelers
MarcoJ764
Milano
“Beautiful views from a typical house”
Reviewed 12 August 2013 for a stay in August 2013

Conveniently located in beautiful Oia, despite being in the center of the village is quiet. Marvellous views. It is a traditional house thus there are little nuisances if you are staying in four people (access to bathroom is through main bedroom).

Victor N
Brasília, Distrito Federal, Brazil
“Gorgeous house in the most beautiful place in Greece.”
Reviewed 5 May 2013 for a stay in March 2013
people found this review helpful

When I first looked the photos of Danai's House I thought it was too perfect to be real. I went there and can confirm that everything is just like in the photos and the house is amazing, almost magic. It was the best choice in my entire travel to Greece. Maria is adorable and the house is very clean and comfortable. I will definitely stay there again in the future. I recommend it to all my friends. The house is located in Oía with one great view of the caldera and one spectacular moonlight.

Liked best: The house structure
Liked least: Nothing. Everything perfect.
People with disabilities Older travelers
Large groups
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
toveostre...
Stavanger, Norway
“Peace and tranquility”
Reviewed 22 April 2013 for a stay in April 2013
people found this review helpful

great location, perfect veranda (might get hot during summer but umbrella :)), the best service from Maria, highly recommendable

Liked best: location
Travelling group: Friends
Your age range 35-49
Friends getaway
Randy G
Melbourne, Australia
“Best spot in Greece - maybe the entire world.”
Reviewed 25 December 2012 for a stay in October 2012
people found this review helpful

You know how you find a property, you look at the pictures, then you look at the price, and you think, "hmm... I wonder if this place really is that good." Well this one really is!

We had an adventure from the moment we deplaned on the runway in Santorini. We hopped aboard the bus (1.60 Euro), and took our first Greek adventure to Oia (changing buses in Fira - really easy with so many friendly Greek people, and I would travel this way again for the authentic experience).

When we arrived in Oia, it was dark. I couldn't work out how to use the payphone, but my Australian mobile phone finally picked up a signal, and I phoned Maria, who sent her Porter to collect us. Moments later, a deeply tanned man named Vasilus arrived on foot, introduced himself, and hoisted one of our large suitcases over his shoulder to lead us to Danai house on foot at an absolutely cracking pace.

It was such a rich experience. He led us down the narrow streets and stairways of Oia for about 10 minutes dodging other tourists, pausing only to recommend places to eat (with discounts if you mentioned his name), until we reached the gate of Danai house. The property measured up to our expectations in every way.

It is a quaint little cave house of tiny proportions that served us perfectly. Since we were purely there to observe the beauty of Santorini, I couldn't have imagined a better place for us. It was so authentic - perfect for us.

When we woke up that first morning - I could see light beaming through the main windows. When I looked out the front door, I was amazed at the beautiful sunrise. I thought I was still dreaming. I took out the camera and started snapping pictures for about half an hour just from our doorstep - not wanting to miss the picturesque sunrise over Oia. Everything about this place was decidedly perfect. It felt like a dream.

I have attached a few photos to show what I mean - this spot is perfect. I am glad we stayed away from the larger establishments, and opted for the authentic experience here instead.

I couldn't imagine a better spot for us (a couple of photo enthusiasts); and to be honest, we didn't spend a great deal of time in Danai house. We were only there to sleep, wake up and take in the beautiful sunrise, make eggs in the mornings, and use it as a base while we explored Oia.

Danai house had a very basic, but sufficient kitchen for making eggs for breakfast. It had air conditioning, a small fridge (great for keeping a supply of cold drinking water), a toilet & shower (tissues in the rubbish, not the toilet), a basic queen bed (plus some couches to sleep others if required), and a beautiful outdoor terrace to eat in the morning. Perfect for two people.

The only caution I have is that for older people, the stairs in Oia might be difficult. But that means Oia would be difficult - not just Danai house.

This place was like a dream, and I would highly recommend it to anyone who is there for the BEAUTY of Santorini. I am so glad we stayed in Oia (not in Fira), and that we booked Danai house to witness the amazing sunrise that this place has to offer. It is not a 5-star luxury hotel, but it is so special in its own way that if I went back to Santorini, I would book it again in a heartbeat.

I have already recommended Danai House to family and friends if they ever head to Santorini - it was so unique and special for us that I would recommend it to anyone. My apologies if this doesn't cover all of the typical information that is shared in reviews, as this is my first one, and given the amazing experience we had at Danai house, and the fact that it had no reviews, I thought I owed it to write one.

I have added my photos to show the genuine beauty of Danai house using our wide-angle lens. Some of our best pictures were from the front terrace in the morning, which rivalled even the most beautiful sunsets that we observed in Oia.

I LOVED this place! Great value for money and great location! A photographer's dream.

Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: Sunrise on the terrace
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Night
Week
Month
Book Now
Or, send the owner a message
This property has Payment Protection
Never pay for your holiday rental by wire transfer.
Learn more about paying safely.
Do you own a holiday rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travellers
Set up your free listing