“Beautiful hotel”

Ranked #5 of 55 Hotels in Oia
London
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Ikies is the place to go if you want to get away from the bustle of the tourist herds. It seems to be the furthest from town, overlooking the caldera and the volcano. It was a bit tricky to find - look out for the sign to the water desalination plant. You'll drive past a cemetary and look out for the walkway on the right at the top. If not, give reception a call and they'll very kindly come and pick you up if you're nearby. Parking if free and very nearby.

The walk to town is quiet, taked about 10-15minutes and in some parts not very well lit. However, it does give you an insight into living in the caldera.

Staff are exceptionally helpful and friendly. They are full of amazing advice - what restaurants to go to, calling a tourist destination ahead to make sure they are open, or even a more scenic route to drive along.

We stayed at the Artisan house. It is big, especially for two with 2 day beds. The rooms are very well equipped to keep you occupied if you don't feel like wandering around. There were books, an iPod docking station and free wifi. We were impressed with the available shows to watch on selection in the room. As some people have previously commented, privacy may be an issue to some as people can walk past your outdoor lounge area and jacuzzi. It didn't bother us though as staff were discrete and there didn't seem to be many other guests around. It was truly bliss to just sink in the jacuzzi morning or night. They put out candles for us on our last night! If you are going, definitey get a room with a private jacuzzi. Beds were comfortable and I truly appreciated the seperate dressing table outside of the toilet.

Breakfast overlooking the caldera and sea is definitely one of their strongest selling points. You can choose from an extensive menu but note they don't serve cooked food - more of breads, cheeses, cereals, etc. My only gripe would be the several cats that immediately come round 'begging' for food and pretty much stay put until you chase them away. There were some ants at the entrance of the room but I'm not sure what attracted them (maybe it was my fault!).

Ikies is simply beautiful, comfortable and felt like home. We were so depressed having to leave on our last day and this has never happened before!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank AnnualLeaveLover

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
New York
Reviewed 4 May 2011

Let's get it straight, Ikies is NOT cheap. My husband and I stayed only one night, but it was worth it. I loved the room! We stayed in the Boatman's House, which was a small cozy room but very private. (Note -- not all the rooms are this private, but the Boatman's House is at the top of the hill, so it overlooks all the others.) The bed was incredibly soft and plush. There's also a beautiful jacuzzi, which is AMAZING. Imagine looking over Oia both during the day and at night in your private jacuzzi! The breakfast was also very good...and I like the futon on the balcony as well. We took a tour of some of the other rooms, and we loved them too -- they're each unique.

Cons: Took us a while to find this place, we took the bus from Fira -> Oia, and Ikies is located waaaay on the edge of Oia. If you want to stay in central Oia, this isn't the place. we had to lug our luggage quite a bit looking for it. Also, if you book one of the lower down rooms, privacy may be an issue.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ladycaterina
Reviewed 27 April 2011

Wonderful and super pretty hotel with breathtaking view. Kitchen in the room provides a very convenient way to hv a simple easy breezy meal. Staffs are the most helpful and friendly. We couldn't ask for more.

• Stayed April 2011
Kansas City
Reviewed 11 January 2011

My hsuband and I stayed here in September 2009 (I just selected Feb 2010 from the drop down list because I am incredibly lazy and just got around to writing this) for our honeymoon. We came here after a hard week of traveling through Cairo, Luxor and Athens. It was a much needed respite. We stayed here for a week and did not want to leave!
Honestly, you coudn't ask for more. Breakfast delivered every morning to our patio overlooking the sea, amazing sweeping views, an easy walk from the village ... To top it all off our staff was incredible, very kind, helped arrange activities, and the food was terrific.
I would highly recommend staying here if you're looking for a romantic out-of-the way place. We were in Thira for an afternoon (after we hiked there along the trail) and while it was a nice change of pace (for a day) I much prefer the quiet of Oia. Also, there's plenty to do in Oia. We explored the town, walked down to the warf for lunch ... just much more easy going than it's neighboring city.
I loved the soft (feather-stuffed?) bed. It wasn't my husband's favorite, but it reminded me of the feather beds at my great-grandmothers that you just sink into.
The sunsets are incredible in Oia. Cruise ships will actually dock in Thira so their passengers can go to the castle to watch this spectacular site. If you stay at Ikies, you have your own, gorgeous view.
* I would attatch photos, but I'm at work (sorry boss!).

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank KCtripper09
St Albans, United Kingdom
Reviewed 11 January 2011

Santorini has been on my ‘must see’ list for some time and to be honest with the wealth of luxury accommodation options to choose from, I was struggling to decide where to stay until I read the numerous glowing reviews for Ikies. Having now been there I can truthfully say it rightfully deserves its place as the top rated accommodation in Oia.
Ikies was one of two properties we stayed at during our visit to Oia, and whilst on the pricey side, I think worth every penny. We opted for the Boatman’s Suite, which enjoys its own spacious terrace and hot tub. Perched above most of the other rooms, it was not only very private, but also offered stunning views of the caldera and Oia from its terrace.
The room itself was simply furnished and the bathroom on the small side, but to be honest we spent most of our time relaxing on the suite’s private terrace from morning through to sunset. Breakfast each morning was a real treat, with staff sneaking in to set up a tasty spread of fresh fruits, pastries and yogurt on the terrace before we rose. Though for me the highlight each day was enjoying a glass of wine (or two!) whilst taking in the island’s stunning sunsets from the comfort of our own terrace or hot tub!
Oia itself is very pretty and offers a wealth of fantastic restaurants, but like us I suspect most guests were reluctant to leave this gorgeous little hotel unless they really had to. So if you’re looking to celebrate a memorable occasion or simply somewhere that bit special, then Ikies is for you. As the saying goes, ‘once bitten, forever smitten’...I’m now looking for an excuse to return!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
4 Thank nic068
Huntington Beach, California
Reviewed 10 January 2011

This was a spectacular hotel. My husband and I chose it based on Tripadvisor reviews and were not disappointed. We stayed in the Honeymoon Suite (Winemakers House). The room and the bathroom were both huge. We also had a private hot tub outside as well as inside. Also had a steam room. Unfortunately there were a couple of other rooms above us, that could see us when on our balcony, but other than that it was very private. The room also stayed nice and cool despite the sizzling heat from outside.
From the beginning, from booking the hotel to leaving for the airport, the customer service was amazing. Loella is a wonderful hostess, and helped us with absolutely everything we needed. She even helped us book our flights back to Athens from Santorini. She was very knowledgeable.
Every morning, the staff would bring us breakfast at our designated selected time, and would gently knock on the door to wake us up. Stepping out on to our patio with a full breakfast with coffee made up for us, while looking out at that breathtaking view was just wonderful!!
Keep in mind, this is the furthest hotel from downtown. However, I would not have changed my selection, because it offered the best views of the sunset and the island. The walk is also not very long at all (maybe 10 minutes). There is a safe walking path off the main road.
OK - only one problem. I wish someone had told me about the mosquitos. This particular room at least had very lush, beautiful surroundings. Lots of plants and grapevines. I think this might have attracted the mosquitos, and I was eaten alive the first night. This might not happen to most people however. Bugs seem to love me. I bought bug spray right away and was fine, and they never touched my husband...
There is not restaurant in the hotel, however, there was a large kitchen/fridge in our room, and a grocery/wine store a couple blocks away. Also has a great room service menu and will bring you dinner any time at night.
Another thing we really liked about this hotel was that there are no children allowed. It is strictly adult, which makes it very calm and quiet.
I would definitely recommend this hotel for honeymooners & couples. The staff was just wonderful and attentive, yet stayed out of your way if you didn't need them. Location was excellent, and the rooms built into the side of the cliffs make this place very authentically beautiful. Happy travels!

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Carrie B
atlbride09
Reviewed 15 December 2010

We stayed at Ikies in the Gardener's Suite for our 1 year wedding anniversary the second to last week of September. This was one of 6 cities that we visited in 3 weeks and it provided one of the best views on our trip.

I had read many reviews here on TripAdvisor and seen so many gorgeous pictures of the rooms and views, so I knew I wanted to stay here. We chose the Gardener's Suite, because honestly, that's the most we were willing to spend on this leg of our trip (it was actually a little more than we wanted to spend). As far as the room, it was definitely small, but we were used to this after coming from small hotel rooms in Athens. However, everything in the room was extremely nice. The bathroom is completely tiled in different colors of blue and purple, which looked beautiful, the bed was queen-sized and covered with a pillow top cover, and there was a little kitchenette with a fully stocked mini-fridge and marble countertops. It was really very nice. Our luggage fit perfectly into the closet, so it was never in our way (we each brought 21" rolling suitcases-any bigger and I could envision an issue).

The views from our balcony were absolutely amazing. We did not like the fact that the veranda directly outside of our room belonged to the room next to us. For this reason, we felt that we always had to close our drapes. However, the views from our private balcony on the other side of the pool more than made up for it. A couple people even commented that we had one of the best views at the property.

The service is what makes this hotel stand out. I had a cold for our entire visit to Santorini (it really felt like the flu), and Katerina came and brought ginger tea to me every morning free of charge. It was so thoughtful and appreciated and definitely helped my horrible coughs (I think I actually caused the couple next door to us to request a different room because they got so bad at night . . .)

They also had rose petals scattered on our bed when we arrived in honor of our 1 year wedding anniversary.

It really was a great place to stay and we will definitely come back someday!

More details can be found here:

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple