“Simply Perfect”

Ranked #5 of 55 Hotels in Oia
Dublin, Ireland
“Simply Perfect”
Reviewed 10 January 2008

This is truely an amazing hotel. Book in plenty of time to ensure you get the room you want. This was our second hotel in Oia and we had such a great time at the first one we were a little anxious if this place lived up to its great reviews. I can tell you is that it surpassed them. It was faultless. When I first went to book about 4 months in advance the hotel was completely booked up. I really wanted to stay there so about a month before we left I sent an email to see if they had any cancellations, and they did. It was fate!. The only catch was that I had to split our three day stay between two rooms, the sailor house on the pool level and the cooks house. They organised free transport from our other hotel and there were two people waiting to meet us, one to guide us to our rooms and the other to look after our luggage. As Oia is like no where else on earth we were guided down the steps to the small reception, they brought us to our room where our luggage was waiting for us and I was so impressed. The website gives an acurate indication of each room and they come with the most fabulous beds, reception has a great collection of dvds if you would like to stay in and the room service food was delicious, Greek Salad, Taziki and Club Sandwich are highly recommended! The breakfast served on the terrace was a highlight, served at your preferred time with a changing selection of fruit and pastries and then of course what you have ordered. The only thing that I could possibly disappoint (and I am afraid to mention this as it could unneccessarily put people off) is the pool, it was smaller then I anticipated but perfect for cooling off, and most of the time we had it to ourselves, on the rare occassion that we had to share it was a great opportunity for a chat and find out some tips on what else to do locally. As most of the rooms have their own private hot tub (we couldn't get one of these but I definately will next time!) The staff were amazing and would do nearly anything to help you. And most of all it was such a relaxing place, the atmosphere was so laid back, its a really fabulous and expensive hotel although you don't get any sniff of pretention that can commonly exist in similar hotels in that price bracket which generally puts me off! Lastly but certainly not least, the views, percehd perfectly to see the sunset for most if not all of the high season months you can most likely watch the sunset from your terrace. Trully amazing!

• Liked — Everything, Room, Staff, Views, Food, Location
  • Disliked — Nothing
6 Thank Jessicarenwick

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Greek first
New York City, New York
Reviewed 3 January 2008

My wife and I spent four days out of our honeymoon in Oia and we stayed at Ikies. We both had extremely high expectations but how could you blame us after reading all the gushing reviews. Were our expectations exceeded? Well, almost.

We stayed in the House of Antiquarian and when we arrived, we were greeted by Ileni and other staff members. We chatted for a few and then shown to our rooms. Once we saw the view, we were thrilledt. Nothing can be said about the view and location of Ikies that has not been said before. Yes, it is that spectacular. And what made our arrival even more enjoyable was the complimentary fruits and wine. We toured our spacious room and were pleased by the amenities. LCD TV, wireless laptop, two bed, two baths and the best part....the patio and its lounge chair and table.

All in all, we loved Ikies and found the staff gracious and the atmosphere relaxing. However, as I mentioned, we had extremely high expectations that were not met. The reasons are because the beds were uncomfortable. It was a futon on a board, not a mattress. The other reason, I ordered baklava and it was served to me frozen. Things that I would not expect from a five star rated traditional house. Enough for me to not give it the 5 stars everyone else has given Ikies.

Would I go back to Ikies? Definitely. We loved the service and the view, loved Oia and loved Greece as a whole.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the bed
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple
12 Thank BigCristo
New York, NY
Reviewed 1 January 2008

It's rare to have an experience that meets all expectations but Ikies does. There's not much more to say than others have said, but this is one of the only places I've stayed in where the reveiws were uniformly excellent and deserved. And I've stayed in a lot of very nice hotels.

The staff, Eleni and team, make the hotel unique. They are fabulous in all respects and can't do enough for you. We had to leave at 5am for an early flight, and she arranged our breakfast the night before and had someone there to haul our luggage up to meet the cab. The service is just unbelievable.

We stayed in the captains suite and our friends in the artisan's, and both were lovely. Oia is the only place to stay on the island in my view; we were disappointed when we visited Fira, which was noisy and a lot less charming. It was incredibly hot when we were there, but Oia was tolerable and we spent a lot of time on our terraces and in the pool (its smallness is the only minor complaint, but it does work to cool you off).

The place and area are both magical, especially at sunset.

• Liked — terrace, breakfast and service
  • Disliked — everything was great
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with friends
5 Thank luxlovernyc
nyc
Reviewed 31 December 2007

This place was EVERYTHING I had dreamed of, plus more, when I booked it for our honeymoon. I had always wanted to go to the Greek Islands & boy oh boy was this the place to be. The hotel was PERFECT because it is at the beginning of the path that goes into town and the tip of OIA where EVERYONE goes to see the sunset. Most of the other hotels you could see down into and you kind of had lots of others looking on, but this one you had more privacy. The hotel staff was incredible--they came during the day to clean out room and at night to turn down our sheets for us. The breakfast was increible and the room service menu was DELICIOUS (cold food only when we went). Their sangria was the YUMMIEST! The hotel also had access to restaurant reservations that no one else did---for instance they booked us at the restaurant KASTRO, front seats, to watch the sun set while we ate. Absolutely incredible. The view from our balcony in our suite was breathtaking. Everything was PERFECT!!! I wanted to book our room again for two weeks, the same time next year!!!!!!! I can NOT wait to go back!!!!! I have already recommended it to 3 of my friends, who have all gone and absolutely loved it too!!!!!

• Liked — the view and the cleanliness of the room and friendliness of the staff
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Melissa S
Houston
Reviewed 30 November 2007

We booked Ikies based mostly on what we read here on tripadvisor and were not disappointed. Most things about this hotel have already been repeated on this website but some of our key points:

- Every person on the staff was A+ from the planning process, arranging a car rental, welcome, dinner recommendations, general friendliness, breakfast delivered every morning, lanterns with candles delivered every night, everything really.

- We were so glad we got a room with a private hot tub. The view is just amazing and we spent a significant amount of time on our private balcony and in our hot tub. We weren't sure exactly how the layout of the rooms would be in terms of privacy, especially since the Boatman's House is next door to the reception area (which the staff was very up-front about during the booking process), but the layout was fine and we rarely saw anyone. It felt very private.

- The location of the hotel is the absolute best in Oia. Even hotels just a couple of doors down don't get the same view of the sunset against the water. We thought the walk to town every night for dinner was perfect (if you are wearing the right shoes!).

- We highly recommend both Ambrosia and Nector and 1800 for a nice dinner.

-The rooms are fabulous in that they are themed and very fitting of the environment and it is clear that a lot of thought has been put into making them feel like home - fridges, dishes, candles and matches, etc. Our room did have a CD player and a flat screen tv, but you aren't necessarily going to find that the rooms are the top of the line with the newest, latest, greatest remodeled bathrooms, etc. - although some rooms and bathrooms are more updated than others since every room is totally different. Not bad at all to us - that is the only possible thing I can think of that would have you in any way disappointed in your stay at Ikies.

We would stay in the Boatman's House again (great value given its balcony and the hot tub since we were rarely inside the room anyway), but we were drooling over the Captain's House (right below Boatman's), and especially the Winemaker's House. Carpenter's is pretty cool too, over on the side, a little more private as well. I wouldn't stay anywhere else on Santorini other than Ikies and I hope to return someday!

• Liked — views, locaation, service
  • Disliked — ?
5 Thank beachtraveler404
Ontario
Reviewed 28 November 2007

Ikies is #1 for a reason. Beautiful clean rooms, AMAZING huge patios, great hottubs, terrific snacks (we miss the food!), fantastic breakfasts, terrific staff. We loved borrowing movies to watch on our flat screen. Every night at Ikies was perfect. We'd return in a second. The pictures on their site are accurate - we didn't take many room photos, mostly because the view was so incredible!

• Liked — The incredible view
  • Disliked — Comfy bed - although lumpy
1 Thank DutchessOfTravel
St. Louis, Missouri
Reviewed 13 November 2007

What a way to spend my 50th Birthday.!! Ikies was the last stay of our 10 day trip to Greece. We stayed 4 days in Mykonos, 2 days in Firastefani, Santorini and 4 days in Oia. We loved the hotel and loved being in Santorini during the quiet time. The only issue was that a lot of the resorts and restaurants had already closed down for the season - but the trade-off for no crowds was well worth it! The staff and the hotel were top-notch. We stayed in the Artisan House and it was lovely. When we had issues with our spa...they offered to upgrade us to another suite for the evening. The breakfasts were large and good (no hot food, however). It was extremely relaxing and very, very private. We enjoyed the small kitchenette with refrigerator - so we could have wine and cheese with the wonderful sunset views. We were on the far end from center of Oia - but enjoyed the walk into town twoice a day. We rented a car for the last two days and toured the rest of the island and some wineries. It was a wonderful trip and I would highly recommend Ikies Traditional Houses for a stay in Santorini. I did miss a hot breakfast after four days - but other than that the food was very good. Oia was our favorite destination of the trip.

Randy and Joni

• Liked — the private setting and deck with spa...and the sunsets
  • Disliked — Missed being able to order hot food for breakfast or lunch
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled as a couple