We stayed at Ikies for our honeymoon in June 2008 on the basis of all the fantastic reviews on this site. We booked more than nine months in advance but the popularity of the hotel meant that we had to book two different rooms for our stay. We started in the Artisans room for the first three nights. Our first impressions of the room were that it was large and spacious and beautifully furnished. It also had a really lovely bathroom with the shower set back into the wall and mosaic tiles from floor to ceiling.
On arrival because we had booked the honeymoon package, we received a bottle of sparkling wine and were reminded that the current contents of the mini-bar were complimentary. Each morning we woke to a champagne breakfast served on the terrace and cocktails in the evening.
Outside was a beautiful terrace with a large hot-tub overlooking the coast-line. The only small down-side for the terrace was the fact that to get to it, you had to walk across the terrace for the adjacent room and vice versa for the room on the other side. This did not matter though and was not intrusive.
After three nights, we moved to the Boatman's. The room is smaller than the Artisans but also beautifully furnished. The terrace was differently laid out with a corner hot-tub with an amazing view. The terrace is probably one of the most private of the whole hotel apart from the Collectors which is directly above it.
The staff in the hotel, as has been mentioned numerous times before, are superb. On arrival we had a luggage disaster with dye from a bag in our suitcase leaking all over our clothes. The hotel staff didn't think twice about driving into Fira to take them to a dry cleaners which was above and beyond the call of duty.
The staff were also happy to recommend restaurants and trips and give you advice about your stay as well as helping organise trips and restaurant bookings. On seeing members of the staff on our excursions into Oia (a ten minute walk from the hotel) they were always friendly and greeted us by name.
Our only minor niggles about the hotel were to do with the fact that maintenance on the terraces/hot-tubs was carried out early each morning in both rooms (7/7.30ish) and woke us several times during our stay. Also, we didn't find the beds the most comfortable we've slept in as they are very soft but that's probably a matter of personal preference.
Overall though we had a fantastic time and we wouldn't hesitate to return if we got the opportunity.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Ikies Traditional Houses is a special type of hotel. Its small size, exceptional location, traditional design, range of accommodation (honeymoon, maisonettes, and studios) and professional operation result in a rare blend of intimate and personalized service offered against a setting of unique physical beauty. Located at the edge of the picturesque village of Oia in the northern part of Santorini and with commanding views over it, into the caldera and of the surrounding Cycladic Greek islands, our guests at Ikies quickly tune themselves into the complete tranquility of the romantic village. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Bookgreece.com, TripOnline SA, Evoline ltd, Cancelon, HotelQuickly, Ebookers and Agoda so you can book your Ikies - Traditional Houses reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Ikies - Traditional Houses Hotel Oia
- Ikies Traditional Hotel
- Ikies Traditional Oia
- Ikies - Traditional Houses Santorini/Oia