“An absolute dream”

1864 The Sea Captain's House
Ranked #29 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed 20 June 2011

We stayed in the Falling Stars Suite and it was just as everyone had said - just beautiful! It's not modern or funky, it's classic and classy with every little detail thought of - the art work on the walls, to bottles of water and juice in the fridge, also plunger coffee and a breakfast you can order for anytime between 8am and 2pm. We splurged on this place as we were reuniting after 4 months apart and this Sea Captain's House was just the romantic spot we were after. The views are to die for. We could see sunrise and sunset pretty well from the private balcony. It's right in the heart of Oia but very quiet as it's slightly off the main walkway. There is a loft upstairs with another double bed so you could share the place but it's just so beautifully set up you don't want to share it with anyone but your loved one. The breakfasts were brought in by a wonderful Australian woman who set the table each morning(inside table or outside, whichever you choose) with a lot of care and gave us good tips about the island. I highly, highly recommend this place!!

Room Tip: The Falling Stars House is just perfection!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank carolynandrews

Reviewed 20 June 2011

Beautiful rooms accented with antiques and vintage finds. What a delight! Views were superb too. The owner, Tony, was helpful and kind but reserved to the point of being a bit cold. Antonio, the masseur, was also a bit cold. Tony also owns 2 restaurants: (1) Ambrosia; and (2) Nectar and Ambrosia. The food is good, but pricey. Overall we had a fun and excellent experience. The a/c was down and the spa was not heated. Some mold growth too.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
TheSeaCaptain, Owner at 1864 The Sea Captain's House, responded to this reviewResponded 22 June 2011

Thanks - but a couple of easy corrections - 1. I do not own the Ambrosia Restaurant as my interest in it past some time ago to my business partner there. We do trade recipes however :-} 2. My restaurant is Nectar & Ambrosia - which most guests consider excellent but never 'pricey', check it out on Giada of the FoodNetwork and TripAdvisor, etc. 3. to say Antonio is 'a bit cold' is simply - silly; me - yes, I can be 'cold' if pushed that direction... which I didn't have from these guests at anytime during their stay. I thought we had some fun conversations about SF, Hawaii, the MidWest, real estate and their travels. I thought I was giving them their private time, especially when the greeting was "Thank you, Tony" 4. Yes, One of the two air conditioners was suddenly out of order in their complimentary upgraded suite - which was corrected by parts from Athens but sadly on the day they moved as planned to the Villa Ambrosia. Luckily we don't have heat spells in May. 5. The 'spa' mentioned is the outdoor jacuzzi of Villa Ambrosia that is heated naturally by the sun...in May at night that can be chilly, yes. 6. 'some mold growth' is not something I tolerate, ugh. Despite these - I'm glad they had an "excellent experience". We try our best.

Reviewed 5 June 2011

We stayed at the Falling Stars House which held a captivating view of the caldera from its balcony. Tourists were craning their necks trying to get shots of the view while we were able to see it all day and night. Tony met us from our taxi and was very gracious in answering any of our questions and was very helpful. The room was lovely and we were served a wonderful breakfast every morning as we enjoyed the view. The only room for improvement would be the bathroom which could use some tender loving care in updating its look. But overall the experience was memorable and we hope to return!

Room Tip: Ask for the Falling Stars House for the best view!
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank stravels6

Thank you. Nice to hear you enjoyed your stay, the breakfast and the postcard type views to the sea, caldera and volcano. I agree, the bathroom is next for some additional work, good point. Some marble to replace the tile work is planned. We'll keep the White Company linens and Bulgari & l'Occitane extras. Thanks !

Reviewed 29 May 2011

The accomodations are gorgeous, the views breathtaking. Everything you could hope for and wish for. Fantastic massages. Excellent location, a few steps from all the action, yet quiet and secluded. This is the place to fulfill your dreams. Great suggestions from staff, excellent care, gracious manners.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Denise2517
Reviewed 26 April 2011

Stayed 3 nights would have loved to afford longer. Oia is not cheap. We were able to sample the restaurants Ambrosia and Nectar and Ambrose which both served terrific food in different but beautiful atmospheres. Tony was able to help with all our travel plans geting to the island and providing all the information required. The massages available were superb, inluded in our package! We heard from another couple staying elsewhere on the island that they had also indulged and loved the massages by Stefan. Champagne breakfasts are not to be missed on the private terrace. Oia is spectacular and the Sea Captains House takes advantage of the relaxed charm starting from the arrival of our luggage by Yiannis the local donkey!

Room Tip: Sailing suite best terrace
  • Stayed: April 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank travelerCeels
Reviewed 11 April 2011

We stayed in the Sailing Suite on the recommendation of Tony, the owner. And the views are absolutely incredible. The hotel is in Oia, Santorini, which unlike the over commercialized Fira, is quiet, and almost tranquil. If you are not sure how you want to spend your time in Santorini, Tony, is extremely helpful with suggestions. And he has a terrific equilibrium regarding that. He is not pushy, in the least. We were on a tight timetable, so we could only stay for two nights. Three would definitely be better. Especially, if you wanted to take advantage of their spa. There is a terrific restaurant in the nearby town of Pirgos, which Tony graciously drove us to. The name of the restaurant is Selene, and it is a terrific change from the traditional Greek fare. If you are going to Santorini, this is the place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank tomshille

Thank you - it was a real pleasure to have you visit. And I was glad that as it was the low season, I had time to chat more and introduce you to Selene. It was one of the first restaurants I discovered when I was a first-time visitor here - some 14 years ago, no some 18 years ago. But now I'm busy with my own restaurant/hotel/spa and only get to Selene at the start or end of the Season. We'll await your return visit to Oia.

Reviewed 29 October 2010

Tony greeted my husband and me warmly when we arrived by the taxi he had arranged for us (airport transfer highly recommended). We stayed at the Falling Star House and to be honest we were dazzled by the caldera views from the balcony terrace of the House. There before our eyes were the blue Aegean Sea, the caldera cliffs and the famous blue domes of the church in so many postcards.
Ratings:
Location was quaint setting in charming Oia with unobstructed view of the caldera.
It was situated just off the Oia shopping strip and without many steep steps to climb to the house.
The house was comfortable and clean. The house design was simple village style with character
Hotel and Restaurant staff:
• Tony and his staff provided excellent service.
• Tony was most gracious and kind for he offered us (without our asking) late check out because he was aware of our late flight. How thoughtful is that.
Services and facilities:
• Breakfasts were served on the terrace and it was the best time of the day for us. We just soaked in the magnificent views of the blue ocean, caldera cliffs and the changing clouds and clear blue sky. We could even see the cruise ships in Fira.
• The small fridge in the kitchenette was well stocked with complimentary soft drinks.
• Dinner and welcome drinks we had at Nectar & Ambrossia restaurant were delicious. We got 10% discount for this and their other restaurant.
• Hotel provided free wifi with strong connection not like some of the other hotels we stayed in.
• Hotel did offer their car for rental at very reasonable rate but we decided not to drive around as we were not familiar with right hand drive.
I was so overwhelmed by the beauty of Oia, that on the first night of our stay I had to comment in my Facebook that Santorini was the most beautiful place on earth I had visited. My dream is to bring my family to stay at this hotel again. I strongly recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing holiday. The Nectar and Ambrossia restaurants must not be missed also.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple