“Absolutely amazing!”

Ranked #27 of 55 Hotels in Oia
Chicago, Illinois
“Absolutely amazing!”
Reviewed 12 June 2012

My husband and I stayed here during our honeymoon, which included stops in Greece, Germany, France and Spain. By far, our favorite stop was Santorini, and that was in large part due to the great experience we had at the Sea Captain's House. First of all, Tony was extremely helpful in planning our trip to Santorini. He recommended a winery tour and a sailing excursion, both of which were excellent recommendations, and he helped us make restaurant reservations. Tony was extremely responsive to all of our emails and really could not have been more helpful prior to the trip.

Once we arrived, we could not have been happier with the location of the hotel or the room itself (the Sailing Suite). The hotel is located in Oia, which was definitely our favorite part of the island. It's located just below the main pedestrian walkway in Oia, so it was very close to restaurants and other activities, but was away from the crowds. The room was large, well decorated, and very comfortable. The balcony outside was absolutely amazing. We had breakfast on the balcony every morning. The food was delicious, and the woman who prepared and served it was very sweet and friendly, and directed us to an awesome beach.

I would highly recommend staying here! You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank alicia1328

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 June 2012

We have just returned from our honeymoon spent which we spent in Oia for a week in May 2012. Oia was like a paradise, stunning views, amazing food, interesting architecture and a large selection of artwork to peruse.

We stayed at the Sea Captain’s House. The hotel is absolutely breathtaking, the view alone is worth the money you pay with tourists coming from far and wide to take snaps of what we saw out of our window every morning. The hotel is in a great spot, just 30 seconds from the main high street scattered with restaurants, art galleries and craft shops a plenty. Each suite the hotel owns is unique and different, with vintage furniture, fout poster beds, cave like bathrooms and different views over the sea. They are all private and beautifully well maintained.

Breakfast can be ordered for any time of day, and were one of the big holiday highlights for us! Rumi is a goddess in the kitchen and each day she set up an amazing spread on our private terrace, thick and creamy Greek yogurt, honey, French toast and waffles were just some of the tasty items we sampled and they were all mouthwatering.

Tony the host is very kind and relaxed with excellent local knowledge. He recommended places to see and things to do as well as providing weather forecasts and bus timetables which came in handy. We also sampled one of his restaurants, Ambrosia Nectar which was delicious.

We’d really recommend this hotel if you want a unique holiday to remember.

Room Tip: We loved them all but our favourites were Falling Stars and the Sailing Suite.
3 Thank Morgan V
Minneapolis, MN
Reviewed 5 June 2012

My wife and I stayed in the Sailing Suite for 3 nights in May during a 2-week trip through Bulgaria and Greece and I can honestly say that this was one of the best lodging experiences I've ever had! It was definitely my favorite hotel choice for this trip (with the O&B Boutique Hotel in Athens in 2nd place). The view from the terrace of Oia and the caldera is the classic postcard photo - it is simply awe inspiring. To top it off, you get the privilege of eating breakfast each morning on this terrace while admiring the view. The staff is very helpful and friendly, yet unobtrusive, which makes you feel like you are staying at your own private villa. That is exactly the type of service I prefer - call me a typical midwesterner (I'm from Minneapolis) if you wish, but I can't stand it when staff are constantly in your face with a faux-friendliness that feels designed to simply suck away your money. The hotel is in a perfect location in the center of Oia - just a few paces from restaurants, shops, and the sunset view. I'd also recommend Tony's restaurant, Nectar & Ambrosia - we had a fabulous meal there. All in all, I have zero complaints and would recommend this authentically romantic hotel to any couple venturing to Oia for a few nights. Do not hesitate to book it!

4 Thank MNWahoo
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 28 May 2012

I stayed 3 nights in the Venetian Suite while on a grand tour of Greece in May 2012. I booked a room here since it looked like it would have amazing views of the caldera - it did not disappoint!! If you want a nice room, charming host, and great location then this is the place for you. It is literally steps away from the main walkway and the views are absolutely amazing.

Tony was very helpful in getting me transportation (including a donkey for my suitcases) and in making reservations for the sailing tour after I arrived. The bed was the best I had my whole stay in Greece and the pillows were even better!! The complimentary water and juice was a nice touch and only the best shampoos, soap, and lotions were provided. I was very impressed and would definitely stay here again.

Thanks again Tony for a wonderful memory. I appreciate all your help!

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank Joan J
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I personally would not call this a "hotel", rather a bed and breakfast. We Stayed in the Venetian room and I would say it was a bit disappointing. Our room was very musty and mold was growing on the bathroom wall. The Location could not be more perfect, however! I overlooked the problems because the setting was so wonderful! Tony was indeed very helpful and a good host. Breakfast on the balcony could not have been more enjoyable. I would say there were definitely "pros and cons" to the stay.

Room Tip: Wasn't a fan of the Venetian room but did not see other rooms.
2 Thank AHDonlad
melbourne
Reviewed 25 April 2012

We ended up here because we complained about the accommodation we had originally booked. The Sea Captain's Rooms was our compensation and what compensation it was! There's nothing I can add that others haven't said - we were so glad we spoke up and were offered this gem. It turned a bad experience into a great one.

Great view, service, food, breakfast, wine. Such an authentic experience that I'll never forget. Thank you for letting us stay here. I believe lots of the accom in Oia is monopolised or they at the very least work in tandem with other operators so if you're not satisfied keep asking for something better. We were turned down at first but my husband (being a native) persevered and we ended up here.

I'm not sure which room we were in but it was fantastic and bigger than any hotel I've ever stayed in. It was a little home , I just wished we spent more than a day and a half there. In fact we probably only ended up spending a few hours in the room but needed something more accessible than the other hotel we were at which forced us back into the room by 8pm due to the lack of safety/lighting. This hotel served us extremely well. Thank you!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank MforMelbourne
Cranbury, New Jersey
Reviewed 21 March 2012

We stayed in the sailing suite in July. The porch outside our room looked down at the caldera. The view is unbelievable it is the view everyone comes to the Greek islands to see and we sat eating our breakfast every morning looking out at it. The room was lovely, very clean and comfortable. Tony the host was amazing. My husband lost his luggage on one of the flights and Tony spent a huge amount of time speaking to airline representatives in Athens and London trying to track it down. He was charming and helpful with recommendations for restaurants and things to do throughout our stay. Romi who brought our breakfast everyday to our porch was great. The location was perfect. A short walk to all the restaurants and shops but the feeling of returning to a very special place when you get back to your room. The only thing I regret is not going to the spa which I did not look at until the last day. The good thing about that is I must return. Cheers to Tony and thank you for a wonderful time

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple