“Wonderful romantic hotel”

1864 The Sea Captain's House
Ranked #30 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We had a fabulous few days in this romantic hotel, the perfect setting to get engaged! The champagne breakfasts on your balcony with those views are to die for and the sister restaurant to the hotel is delicious! Head down to the castle at sunset and it's worth the trip down to the sea for a dip. The donkey carrying your luggage to your hotel is a lovely touch too! The house keeper was a delightful lady and really made our stay. The only thing missing is a pool but the large terrace with panoramic views and comfortable loungers more than made up for it. A must visit, quaint, atmospheric hotel in Oia.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Caroline G
There are newer reviews for 1864 The Sea Captain's House

Reviewed 11 February 2013

I am probably being a tad unfair giving this hotel 4 stars but hear me out before scrolling on to another review.
I booked this hotel as part of a multi hotel trip to both Mykonos and Santorini. We had stayed in 2 very good hotels in Anastasis Apartments in Imervogili and The Vencia hotel in Mykonos. Both with swimming pools and outdoor bathing areas. We stayed in Santorini in May and it was pretty hot. I knew the hotel did not have a pool before hand so i can't complain however if you are not aware of how hot this location gets you should definitely consider this when booking a hotel. Now on to the pluses. The location is right in the centre of Oia, one of the most beautiful little villages in Santorini, the rooms are built into the mountainside and have fantastic sea views. Our room was double height and very spacious with tea and coffee facilities outside of our door. The bathroom was nice with a powerful shower.

Room Tip: I think most rooms are the same, all nice with sea views. We stayed in the sailing suite and it was...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank danny78
Reviewed 8 October 2012

We stayed in two of the hotels rooms and both were absolutely gorgeous. Stunning rooms, beautiful linen and amazing infinite views made our stay so wonderful. On top of that were Antonio's massages and Romi's breakfast's. Wow! Both added so much to our already fantastic stay in Oia. Dinner Ambrosia Nectar is also must - the food is delicious and service is outstanding. Thanks to Tony and his great team - we'd love to visit again!

2  Thank Katherine Y
TheSeaCaptain, Owner at 1864 The Sea Captain's House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 December 2012

Thank you for your review and I'm really pleased you enjoyed your stay in the Captain's suite for 4 nights and also in the Falling Stars house for 1 night last September. I've passed your remarks along to both Antonio for the massages and to Romi for the breakfasts. I know that you also stayed elsewhere on the island and hope all of your visit was perfect ! We'll see you on your next visit here.

Reviewed 2 October 2012

Hands down, this may have been one of the most spectacular hotel stays I have ever had. The Sea Captain's House was an amazingly intimate, unique and truly special place. My boyfriend and I stayed for a short 3 day visit in mid July of 2012... our last stop during our tour of the Greek Islands. Tony, our proprietor did his absolute best to make our stay everything we had hoped for.
First, It is important to understand that The Greek Isles are ancient, mostly rustic islands made predominantly of lava rock. The old walkways of Santorini are NOT stiletto friendly, nor are they anything short of magical. There is a time and place for the ultra-fab, chic and modern mega-hotel...not here, not in Santorini. This resort is more of a charming, quaint and inspiring home, allowing plenty of insight into the traditional Greek allure Santorini is most known for.
After miraculously surviving the taxi ride from our water ferry, we were greeted by Tony, and a beautifully adorned luggage donkey. The Sea Captain's House is several "blocks" from the nearest driving road, so be sure to have some assistance for the large suitcases we tourists typically travel with. Our room was not quite turned over from previous guests, so Tony gave us a detailed tour of the intimate hotel. A little stroll and quick bite to eat nearby and our room ( Captain's Suite ) was ready. It was charming in every sense of the word, beautiful four post bed made with fine linens, domed and vaulted ceilings, large living space, lovely outdoor space and excellent quality bathroom products. Subtle little details such as a linen shawl for wear in the chilly evenings, to a homeade breakfast al fresco served by the lovely house-keeper. I could go on and on about the details that made out stay as special as it was, but I would prefer to keep to keep Sea Captains House our little secret.
Keep your mind open here, go wih the flow and take it all in. Everything may not go pefectly smooth, and maybe you'll get eggs when you've asked for granola, but when you are in a place as beautiful as Santorini do you really care? Thank you Tony, you truly made this experience one we will never forget. - (Danielle and John NY NY)

To mention:
No onsight restaurant, although breakfast is served every morning
No onsight swimming pool as these are very rare in Santorini
ONLY BRING COMFORTABLE SHOES, FLATS PREFERRABLE
NOT suitable for elderly or handicapped

Room Tip: There are only a few rooms, and I belive they book up fast. I can only speak of the Captains Suite...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
7  Thank DaniellaRose
Reviewed 23 September 2012

From the start the whole experience has been very good. The booking was easy with Tony being very responsive and providing details and costings. We booked the falling stars house. A traditional house with great views back to Fira and the volcanoes. Although away from the main house (about 60meters) it is like having your own place. The fit out and furniture adds to the charm. We also organised transfers and laundry (on the road for 15days) through Tony, both at a good price. Totally relaxing and enjoyable. Finally Ronni who delivered breakfast was exceptional, friendly and added to the experience. Thanks

Room Tip: Great views, great experience
4  Thank Europeoz
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We stayed here recently for two nights with high expectations on our 3 1./2 weeks on the Greek Islands (including 5 nights elsewhere in the South). We had also previously stayed on Santorini in Imerovigli.
I would say this experience definitely missed the mark and was our least favorite of the trip. It may be more of the room we were in, but did not enjoy ourselves as many of the pro's were bigger con's.
Pro:
1. Location - great location on the cliffs of Oia
2. Patio - huge patio
Cons:
1. Location - way to many people wandering around taking pictures as the walkway is not private like many other hotels in Oia
2. Patio - WAY to open ... read below
Location: The hotel is right on the cliffs of Oia. Great location just off the main strip which was very nice. Best time to enjoy Oia is 6am-8:30am before all the tourists load into town from elsewhere on the island and the cruise ships. Parking was available at the post office a short walk away. No offer to help with luggage was made at check-in or check-out. Normally this is not an issue for us but it was noon, the walkways very very busy and bumpy .. not fun to haul the bags
Room: We were in the Captains suite which is fantastic. Very charming and rustic, with enough room to sleep 5-6 people. The bed was great, and there was a fridge with water/juice along with a espresso machine. The bathroom was ok, one note ... the Jacuzzi does not work so if you want that ... book another room.
Patio: Here is where the problems start. The patio is fantastic as are the views BUT from 8:30am-9pm people are walking around taking pictures so there is zero privacy. We had people taking pictures of the patio, pictures of us on the patio, asking us to take their pictures ... it was brutal to say the least (if we had not pre-paid I would have checked out after day 1). The last day I almost lost it as at 8:30am while we were eating breakfast, we had about 8 people take our picture as we ate. As well, the walkway around our door had 4 dogs that stayed there regularly and their was dog poop everywhere ... disgusting. This hotel also does not have a pool (thought they did ... missed that somehow). There is a terrace on the top level with a hot tub (I heard it was out of order but did not confirm).
Breakfast: Breakfast was great and Romi was very friendly ... only problem was once again as above I did not want to eat on the patio
Views: The views are good though to see the sunset you really need to sit on the built in seats on the sides of the patio
Overall: The hotel feels like it could be fantastic but it is lacking on execution for sure. There was also an odd experience in the morning of check out that I will not get into but I will say I believe this hotel is currently for sale (found it listed on line). Did we enjoy ourselves ... no not really. Would we return ... no, and definitely not to this room. As for staying in Oia, stay in a hotel in the south of town or with one that has a private walkway. Or, stay just out of Oia in Imerovigli ... away from the crowds.

1  Thank d1289

Thank you for the comments and I'm personally apologise that your 2 night visit with us didn't totally meet your expectations. But we had no indication during your stay that you weren't happy, so we couldn't do anything to assist. I should be more proactive in this regard. Luggage - as you arrived by rental car, we did email ahead that you could phone us prior to arriving in Oia for assistance. No call was made as I remember and you arrived with your few bags. With taxi arrivals, our driver always calls us so we can meet at the parking as noted in other reviews. For the departure, I personally asked after breakfast if you needed help and was told no. Perhaps there was some confusion as this was also when I asked if we could show the room to others and was told it was fine. Although upon entering the room I realised it wasn't a good time and we cut the visit short. The viewing was an Australian agent for a private buyer and she was just in town from a cruise ship for a few hours. Her visit was earlier than agreed. Yes, the house is on the market as an investment property and the sale will be with a leaseback so that I maintain the hotel operation as today. Location & Oia - it seems you prefer Imerovigli which has it's point. I've also stayed there some 18 years ago as an island visitor. But personally, I find it terrifically overbuilt now. Oia has environmental controls on the caldera to try to prevent that happening here. From the reviews we have, our guests have found our views, location and the house's atmosphere what they desired. I understand a vacation is very precious for our guests and I'm really sorry the photographers were distracting. They do appear along the Oia pathways and then they leave...it's the same with the sunset visitors to Oia. They leave the village after the setting of the sun and the village's own slower rhythm returns.

Reviewed 5 August 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed here in July based on the TripAdvisor reviews that we had read. I am happy to report that all of the positive reviews were spot on! Our room was spacious, charming and unique. The amazing breakfast served on terrace overlooking the Caldera was one of my favorite parts of the day (a tie b/w that and the sunset!). The location is simply perfect. The hotel (more like a B&B, really) has unbelievable views of the Caldera and is extremely private and quiet, yet only steps away from the shops and restaurants in town.
Tony, the owner, helps arrange your taxi transfers and has a donkey carry your luggage to your room, ensuring a smooth transition from the port or airport (perfect for tired travelers!). The little extras like complimentary juice, water and an espresso machine in the room were definitely appreciated.
I had a massage in the spa while I was here, and the spa amenities were on par with any spa I would find back home in NYC. I would definitely stay here again should I return to Oia.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple