My sister and I rented the 'Falling Stars' suite at the Sea Captain's House. We couldn't have been more pleased. As with other 'hotels' in Oia, the little suites are disconnected, separate though close entities. Our cave house had a little entry area with a table big enough for two suitcases and then a living area dominated by a big bed. There was a loft with a low ceiling and a small bed plus a tiny kitchen (microwave, hot plate, sink, tiny fridge). The bathroom was clean and adequate. The linens are worth a special mention; rich cotton and the same white.as the famous walls of Santorini itself. Breakfast was ordered the night before and served in the room. There were very nice options, a plentiful meal--and champagne!
But of course the main thing was the tiny terrace overlooking the view. I woke each morning facing the quaint double doors that I'd left open. The other windows looked out in slightly different directions. But you see, when you choose a 'caldera view' place in Oia, there are no bad views! At night in September the house was cooled by breezes; during the day it was never hot because of the thick cave walls.
During the day, Oia is swarming with tourists, and since the public paths and staircases are everywhere, we could hear people just outside our windows and see them gazing onto our patio. One day we opened our door to find a photos shoot in progress: a Japanese bride in full bridal attire was being photographed with the brilliant blue sea behind her! Part of the charm of staying at the Sea Captain's House, however, is that you get the same beautiful location in the evening and early morning--but it's all yours for those hours! The early morning light in Oia took my breath away.
Tony was very helpful throughout the planning of our trip and during our stay. He gave information and advice about ferries, buses, restaurants, and called for reservations, arranged our extremely early taxi on departure, and carried our bags though it was 6 a.m.! He was a competent, reserved, and pleasant host.
I would love to return to this idyllic spot.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Top-of-the world direct views to the Santorini volcano, caldera and sea from this three suite, all with antique canopy king bed, luxury guesthouse hotel with full services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Hotels.com, Traveltool, S.L.U. and Evoline ltd so you can book your 1864 The Sea Captain's House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 1864 The Sea Captain`s House Hotel Oia
- 1864 The Sea Captain`s House And Spa
- 1864 The Sea Captains Hotel
- 1864 The Sea Captain's House Santorini/Oia