This was our second visit to Santorini and we wanted to stay in Oia for the views and the charming village atmosphere. I also didn't want to drive around much and the small foot paths are perfect in the Oia village. We knew we could go for a coffee with a view anytime and climb down the stairs to Ammoudi bay when we wanted a nice swim while viewing the volcano. And calamari after that at the port side tavernas with a cold beer or an ouzo.
We had taken a great massage the year before at the Caldera Massages Studio which is connected with the Sea Captain's House. We booked a week and got a reduced rate, the rates on the web site are the full price but always ask them for any specials. They also have a couple of separate houses next door for rent that are less expensive. We met a couple staying for a month in one of the houses, great idea.
The views are worth it all and without many stairs to climb up or down each day. We had the smaller Venetian suite with terrace enough for our breakfast table and reading chairs. Excellent breakfast served when we wanted it. We found the rooftop terrace the best for sunbathing and for simply gazing at the caldera during the sunset hours - your mind just empties as you gaze out. Very zen-like.
We had massages on the rooftop too - amazing ! Better than what we have had in Bali or California. They make it a whole ritual from selecting our aroma of essential oils to lounging with a hot tea afterwards.
During our stay there was also a rooftop, susnet wedding which was nice, they offered us a glass of champagne to celebrate with them. There were only six in the wedding party and not as wild as a Mama Mia wedding !
We really felt at home at the Sea Captain's House and the staff made it all easy.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Top-of-the world direct views to the Santorini volcano, caldera and sea from this three suite, all with antique canopy king bed, luxury guesthouse hotel with full services. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Hotels.com, Odigeo, Travel Republic (UK), Ebookers and Evoline ltd so you can book your 1864 The Sea Captain's House reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- 1864 The Sea Captain`s House Hotel Oia
- 1864 The Sea Captain`s House And Spa
- 1864 The Sea Captains Hotel
- 1864 The Sea Captain's House Santorini/Oia