Alexander's Boutique Hotel of Oia
Anemomilos Hotel And Villas(Oia)(Great Value!)
US$362
Priceline
US$569
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsimperial suitecave househot tubroom upgradeevery morningunique experiencebottle of wineour honeymoonbreakfast is servedrented a carcaldera viewhighlight of our tripyogurtprivate jacuzzifew stepsbus stopthe main street
Reviewed 3 July 2009

I stayed at another hotel in Firostefani for 2 nights and deliberately booked this hotel for 1 night because of its location in Oia. I expected the view to be much better but realised that it didn't differ much from the view I got in Firostefani. Upon my arrival, I was told immediately not to flush the toilet paper into the toilet due to the weak sewage system of the island! I later saw tips from my eyewitness travelling book and realised that this is in fact true (weak sewage system), however I thought it was so weird to be told about this 1st thing when the manager showed us to our room (Opal Cave House). The room was just so so compared to the other hotel we stayed in Firostefani. The so called private balcony, as mentioned by some other travellers, was actually a shared area with the guests of the other cave houses. The staffs were not friendly too. Even though the manager appears to be friendly, I personally thought she was quite fake. As such, we didn't have a good impression of this hotel. I would definitely ask my friends (if they ever travel to Santorini) to avoid this hotel by all means.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mrs_hermes
Reviewed 25 June 2009

We planned our entire honeymoon to Santorini on our own, thanks to the TripAdvisor reviews, so I vowed upon return I would write my review.

After a hectic traveling- flight delays & lost luggage- we finally arrived in Santorini in the same shorts & flip flops we had on when leaving Florida 36 hours prior. Of course, with our luck, we landed on one of the few rainy chilly days of Santorini (May 4). We arrive to Alexander's (via white-knuckled cab ride... those cliff-side roads are curvy!) exhausted and cold. Vicki to save the day! She showed us into the Imperial Suite and explained there was a market right next door for toiletries to get us through the night and a taverna across the street for a warm meal. We only had a few Euros, as we were planning to use ATMs for exchanging money (highly recommend) but the Vicki told us the ATM was a 10-minute walk into town & we were not appropriately dressed for that walk. Vicki let us BORROW 20 Euros of HER OWN MONEY so we could grab a warm dinner. (NO hotel attendant in the states would let someone borrow their own money!)

The next day Vicki arranged a cab to retrieve our luggage from the airport, so we would not have to make the journey back to the airport, and she also washed our clothes for us, so we could atleast wear clean clothes until our luggage arrived.
Once our luggage arrived, we opened a bottle of wine & jumped into the our private jacuzzi to finally begin to enjoy our honeymoon... and from that moment on... it was a dream come true!

The weather warmed up as the week went on (the 1st week of May). It wasn't hot enough for a pool, so that wasn't a concern, but thoroughly enjoyed our private jacuzzi day AND night.

The Imperial Suite was lovely- nothing extravagent- but nicely decorated with Greek antiques and plenty enough for us! The view & the private terrace was PERFECT for our honeymoon.

Vicki recommended restaurants & offered to schedule tours- we enjoyed relaxing so much we only ventured outside of the village once, to visit Kamari Beach (an easy bus ride to the other end of the island).

I actually enjoyed the location of Alexander's. It's right off the road, so you don't have to haul your luggage down the marble path (no cars allowed) that takes you down the heart of the village, and our view was spectacular (check out the pics!) The walk to the village wasn't bad. Yes the road are narrow, but it takes all of 5 minutes to get to the marble path- no big deal at all.

Our lovely relaxing days consisted of: breakfast on the terrace, followed by easing into the morning just soaking in the amazing view. Clean up & into the village for lunch & seeing the most beautiful village in the world. After that, my FAVORITE part of the day, was soaking up the afternoon sun on my chaise lounge with a bottle of wine, having our own little siesta, a relaxing dip in the jacuzzi, then back out for dinner. After dinner, it was BACK into the hot tub to see the moon dancing on the water with more wine..... quite frankly, it doesn't get any better than that! THE ULTIMATE relaxing romantic honeymoon.

We raced to see the sunset 1 night out of 1 whole week- the whole island hauls up to the tip of Oia to see the sunset (somewhat cattle herd'ish). We (well Vicki) made us reservations at Kastro- which was an amazing dinner to sit & enjoy the sunset. After that, we went to a late dinner after the crowds left the village. (Granted, we are spoiled, we live on the beach and see the sunset on the water anytime... so seeing it every single night wasn't a priority)

Vicki did show us some cave houses before we left. And yes, some are somewhat claustrophobic- but for 1 or 2 nights in Oia- not too bad. Remember people, they are TRADITIONAL cave houses. Not current day hotel rooms. Our suite however, the Imperial Suite, was 2 bedrooms, living room, dining room, private jacuzzi & terrace... so if that is what you want- pay for it.

RECOMMENDATIONS: Getting a private massage in your villa (yes, they come to you). Kamari Beach & eat at Poseidon- right on the beach- BEST grilled feta EVER! AMAZING!
Other Restaurants: Roka (locals favorite- off the beaten path), Kastro, Skala, and Ambrosia- hands down, THE most ROMANTIC dinner ever.
One last thing- if you've decided on Santorini- you MUST stay in Oia. Don't skimp & stay in any other village- you'll regret it.

Couldn't recommend Alexander's enough! It made our honeymoon absolutely AMAZING & we are counting down the days until we return!!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank thenewlywedLloyds
Reviewed 21 June 2009

After receiving a (large) upgrade, we stayed a fabulous 5 nights at Alexander's in the Ruby Villa. It was gorgeous, spacious, and decorated in a shabby chic minimalist style. We had a private patio with a gorgeous view where we were served breakfast every morning!

The service was great, but HUGE props go to the general manager, Vicki. She gave us the best recommendations ever, and our trip would have not been as spectacular if it weren't for her hospitality and service. Not only did she reccomend two amazing restaurants, but planned an entire day-trip on a map for us to drive and pointed out specific places we should stop, and the order in which we should take in the sights!

No, the hotel doesn't have their own pool, but I knew this when we booked the hotel. I don't understand why people think this is misleading. And seriously, the walk to the pool is two minutes, and once you're there, it's peaceful and beautiful. I was the only one at the pool for an entire day. It was pretty great. Plus, the hotel has a nice taverna with delicious food. So stop being lazy or complaining.

One SLIGHT negative is the actual location of Alexanders. I didn't realize it was slightly out of the downtown of Oia, and walking there could be a little tricky, just because of the large buses and lack of sidewalk. If you have difficulty walking, are older, or handicapped, I wouldn't recommend Alexanders. But then again, I don't know where I'd recommend in Santorini at all.

• Stayed: May 2009
Reviewed 1 June 2009

At first we had a little trouble with our Cave House (Citrine) because we were told that all the rooms have Caldera views, but when we arrived, our room was really like a cave..with only the front door as our window, and that only looked out onto a shared entryway, then onto the maid's laundry quarters (in which they had to go in and out of constantly). The balcony was shared with 3 or 4 other cave houses (which we were told it would be private), so basically it was just an expensive room to sleep in and it felt too claustrophobic for us, and nothing like we expected or paid the higher room rate to receive for our one night in Santorini.
After speaking to the really nice owner, Alexander, and understanding manager, Gabriella, they were able to fix it by upgrading us to a Superior room that was exactly like what we thought it would be, and we didn't have to pay any more monies in this case.
Just a note: the Villas and Apartments are located about a 10 minute walk to the left of the main hotel and cave houses, by way of a stone walkway. We didn't mind at all because the unit was really beautiful and very quiet and more private, and the walk was nice because we could spend more time looking at the Caldera views. Plus, they helped us with our luggage and gave us a ride by car since it was very hot and we just arrived.
All and all we left being very satisfied and would recommend this place again.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with family
1  Thank bfrances
Reviewed 27 May 2009

The first page of Alexander's website shows a picture of a lovely pool....but they don't have one! That pool belongs to another hotel down the street; yes, you can use it but you have to go buy the reception, pick up a towel, and trudge down a busy street a block of so. The website also states that all villas have robes, safes, and at least a 21" TV. This was not the case for us. No robes and no safes, which made me uncomfortable. I like to be able to lock up my passport, iphone, camera, etc. The TV was a tiny 13" with very few working channels. Santorini is fantastic and we made the best of it but there are better places. The place right next door to Alexander's has a great pool and quoted up a price 60 euros less.

• Stayed: May 2009