“A magic holiday”

Ranked #32 of 55 Hotels in Oia
Sydney, Australia
“A magic holiday”
Reviewed 19 June 2010

From the moment my wife and I arrived at Alexanders we enjoyed our week in Oia. Vicky, who runs reception in the afternoon/evening, sat us down under the umbrella outside the small reception room with a glass of wine while she finished attending to another matter. After ten or so minutes, she joined us for an informative run down of Oia and Santorini, and she provided suggestions for our time there whilst we enjoyed another glass of wine. By the time we walked down the next few stairs to our cave villa off the balcony below reception, we felt welcomed and received a pleasant surprise with our cave villa.

The cave villa we had, and the others we saw, are very tastefully fitted out and we had the feeling of living in a very comfortable and well decorated small apartment (well, small by Sydney’s more spacious standards). Alexander has collected some unique antique style furnishings and decorations which provided a lived in feeling to the cave villas. Our room was kept immaculate all week by staff cleaning, making the bed (a challenge in the cave space the bed sits in), washing any glasses etc in the kitchenette, etc etc twice a day. The breakfast was served on the balcony outside our room; it was fresh and refills were available. The balcony has stunning views of the ocean and islands offshore. What a great way to start the day.

We enjoyed meeting other couples staying in adjacent cave villas under reception and having drinks before and after dinner; the balcony area is conducive to chatting or keeping to yourself. We have swapped eMails with other guests to stay in contact. Alexanders is located towards the edge of Oia along the caldera, which keeps the hustle and bustle down. We enjoyed the short walk into Oia centre each day where we found some excellent restaurants/bar/coffee shops, let alone some good shopping.

The receptionist in the morning, Assia, was helpful and organised a rental car for us on a number of days and it was delivered to Alexanders. We followed the suggestions Vicky made and had a great time exploring the island.

We would definitely stay at Alexanders again.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Ooltewah, Tennessee
Reviewed 6 June 2010

From the moment we arrived, the staff did everything to make us feel at home. We stayed in the Emerald Villa and it was everything I imagined. Having been a winery years ago, there was a grape stomping vat in the closet floor! How cool is that?! Our friends stayed in the villa next door and that made it very convenient for nightly hot tub experiences and drinks/snacks on the terrace. This is the kind of place that you can sit outside in your bathrobe and enjoy breakfast overlooking the beautiful sea, windmills, and gorgeous white cave villas hanging off the cliffs. AWESOME!!!

We were presently surprised to meet Alexander himself on the first night. He and the rest of the staff made sure we knew the best places to eat. As an example, the taverna across the street from Alexander's offered the best Greek dishes. The patriarch of the family is the cook. Imagine having a plate of baklava arrive at your table straight out of the oven! Yum! We also enjoyed dinner at a great restaurant where part of Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants was filmed. Vicki (night manager) recommended this and we loved the cool atmosphere. The last evening included a stop at a nearby taverna where the owner/chef entertained us with Greek music. We ended the evening learning to do one of the Greek dances with the staff (yes, a couple of plates were broken, too!). Alexander joined us for the evening festivities.

While it was windy for the first couple of days, this was not typical weather for the island. The airport cancelled flights because of the high winds. We were lucky to arrive on time. After the winds subsided, we were able to charter a boat and sail around the nearby islands, swim in the hot springs near the volcano island, and experience the beauty of the sea. George was our captain and we highly recommend doing something like this. It was a typical wooden Greek boat and can accommodate up to 9 people.

We didn't rent a car and were so thankful because the roads are narrow. Thus, we used public transportation-nice air conditioned buses that stopped right at Alexander's! We visited Ancient Thira-a tough trek in a van up about 20 switchbacks and then hiking the rest of the way up. It was worth it to experience the village of at least 2000 years ago (reminded me of Pompeii). We also took a bus to the black and red sand beaches, Fira (rode the cable cars), and Thira. Ancient Akrotiri is still closed and you can't see anything from the road. We visited the museum in Fira to see some of the artifacts. It was free the day we visited.

If you want to enjoy a trip to a winery, there is one within walking distance of Alexander's. However, it's a nice hike uphill coming back to Oia.

The sunsets were as beautiful as described in the books. While we braved the crowds closer to the main windmill once, the best pictures we took were actually near Alexander's. Instead of going towards the town of Oia, go the opposite direction about 3-4 villa complexes away. There's a great hill that overlooks the city and the sea. We were the only people there!

In closing, our trip to Santorini was a trip of a lifetime. My husband and I traveled with two other couples and we had a blast. Thank you to the great staff at Alexander's for assuring that the experience was everything we anticipated! Between all of us, I think we took at least 1000 pictures!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
1 Thank TNVOL37363
Ooltewah, Tennessee
Reviewed 1 June 2010

Our experience at Alexander's was unsurpassed!. The facilities were immaculte, the staff beyond helpful, and the island gorgeous! This was a "10" vacation to be sure. We often commented that if we hadn't of stayed at Alexander's, it wouldn't have been the wonderful vacation. Staying at Alexander's made our trip (6 of us.) We could not have stayed at a more perfect place. I still owe him pics of the plates that broke in the typical Greek tradition. I will post those soon!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with friends
Baton Rouge, LA
Reviewed 18 May 2010

We just got back from our nightmare of a vacation to Greece (3 days in Athens, 4 days in Oia) and I have never been more happy to actually get BACK from vacation before! From the get go this place was a problem. At check in, we walked down to the reception area and waited to be helped. When the receptionist lady was able to get to us, she tells us we are early and we'd have to wait "5 minutes" while they got the key for the room and prepped the reservation or whatever, etc. Well, evidently in Oia, 5 minutes means half an hour, and to make it worse, you have to wait outside under an umbrella. Usually, no big deal, but at most other tropical or beach type of vacation spots, they'll give you some sort of refreshment to make your wait a little easier. Not at Alexander's! We had just gotten off of a plane, immediately hopped in a taxi, rode for 30 minutes, walked with our luggage, and they didn't even have as much as a glass of water! Totally inexcusable in my opinion.
Again, let me reiterate.... I am NOT a difficult person when traveling... I let a lot of stuff slide because I just don't let things get to me, if you know what I'm trying to say.
My wife and I tend to try to give the hotel staff a break when we stay somewhere so we don't require room cleaning everyday. After all, we are normal people, not royalty, so I don't care if my room is spotless every single day during my trip. To save on energy costs and water consumption, we'll reuse towels as well. Anyway, the first morning we put a do not disturb tag on the door before we ventured out to the town, because we didn't feel like we 1.) needed a cleaning of the room, since we hadn't even unpacked anything (got in way late because of a delayed flight, which was a very common occurance in Greece) and 2.) we generally don't like strangers amist our stuff, especially in a foreign country. Well, when we came back, the sign was gone from the door and the room had been done. I know most will read this and say "big deal", but these "little things" really add up at this place.
The entire time there was one guy there who spoke English better than the other male staffers, but he was pretty disgusted with a recent change to his schedule and frequently got into it with the other workers and managers. It just created awkward moments. Also, most of the male help there were a little too eager to get an eyeful of my wife, which I can understand, after all she is very beautiful, but damn, keep your eyes in their sockets, at least while I'm standing RIGHT THERE!!
We are not the type to watch a ton of TV on our trips, but I do think it's important to have some sort of news channel for all languages at every hotel. Had we had a news channel, we would have known about the volcano erupting again the Friday before we were supposed to leave and could have made a more informed decision once our flights got backed up due to a 2 hour delay in Santorini due to the high winds on the island.... the return trip deserves it's own page, but i'm not going to include that here.... Also, at least have the option of a mini bar! At 3am, when you are thirsty and there is no potable water, you are screwed if you don't lug a bunch of water from a near by local market.
And the major reason I decided to give my opinion on this place was how not helpful they were with the information at checkout. The day before we left we went to the office to check out because our flight was very early in the morning and we asked about taxi service. Our flight was for 6:55am, so we wanted to have the taxi pick us up at 5am, but the receptionist did her own thing, set it up for 5:30am, and swore up and down that 1 hour would be enough time at the airport for our flight. Well, let me tell you how DEAD WRONG this woman was!!! Normally, I'm pretty calm and collected, not really a vocally disapproving person, but if i would have saw the woman again, I more than for sure would have let her have it!!!! If the flight would have been on time, we would have missed it, as we were still waiting to get to the ticket counter because we were so far back in the line because we showed up so late due the receptionist's refusal to do what the customer wanted her to do.

I'm not going to tell you not to stay here, but I would say if you do book here, just beware that it will a headache and a half. Not all of the stress from the nightmare of a vacation came specifically from this hotel (we had to battle the threats of the riots in Athens, delayed flights,less than ideal weather, horrible winds, volcanic ash, an unplanned overnight stay in London, etc), but this place totally ruined Santorini for me, and Santorini was at the very top of my "to visit" list... majorly expensive dissapointment, to say the least

1 Thank chRxis
Winnipeg, Canada
Reviewed 12 May 2010

From the moment we arrived, the staff could not have been more friendly and helpful. The Diamond Suite where we stayed was charming and truly unique. The best part, the view from the terrace, was stunning. We enjoyed the hot tub each day after touring the island. Breakfast each morning was complimentary and very lovely. We received many helpful touring tips from the staff and enjoyed their company very much. The location is great - close to shopping, a convenience store and a nice restaurant across the street. Our experience at Alexander's was over-the-top and we would recommend it to anyone planning a memorable vacation.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Houston, TX
Reviewed 11 May 2010

My husband and I celebrated our 15th anniversary at Alexander's. We had visited Santorini and Alexander's a few years ago and knew we wanted to return. This time we were there for six nights and just had the greatest time. Besides the fact that it sits in a spot with breathtaking views in every direction, we just can't imagine a better place all around to stay. Not only is the hotel beautiful with every room carefully thought out, but Alex is a a marvelous host, Vicky and Acia keep things running smoothly and are delightful company as well and the other staff was just marvelous to meet our every need. We were in the Ruby Villa this time and were served a lovely breakfast on our patio every day. We loved the comraderie of the hotel staff and the other guests and in such a small hotel we met many of the guests and enjoyed evenings on the main patio with that spectacular caldera view. We can't wait to return to Santorini and visit Alex, Vicky, Acia and the others.

Seattle, Washington
Reviewed 26 April 2010

Alexander's was perfect. The cave two bedroom suite was amazing..the views from our patio were like a picture postcard. The location perfect ..we walked to dinner every night..hot tub was a treat..as the weather was still a bit chilly..nice breakfast served out on our patio..the entire staff was great and helpful..not a thing negative I could find..i would love to return soon

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with family