“Disappointing - a vacation remembered for all the wrong reasons!”

Alexander's Boutique Hotel of Oia
Ranked #30 of 54 Hotels in Oia
Cincinnati, Ohio
“Disappointing - a vacation remembered for all the wrong reasons!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2011

I don't usually write bad reviews and was going to avoid giving one for this hotel, however 4 months after we stayed there, we are STILL talking about this terrible place! From the outset there were numerous problems with our room including electrics that didn't work, no hairdryer and a problem with the shower which were never properly dealt with. The so called "charasmatic" owner didn't want to deal with it. Unfortunately he was too busy socialising with what appeared to be friends to bother with the problems of his guests. Other guests that we met also commented on his lack of interest and the fact that he was incapable of even acknowledging or greeting any of us when we were staying at HIS hotel! We have truly never experienced such a thing before especially in such a small hotel - this was one of the reasons we booked to stay there. So please do not believe what you read about getting all this star treatment from the owner, we didn't see any of it and other guests commented on the same thing! The other most disconcerting situation was how the owner was regularly screaming and yelling at his staff in public, we even witnessed him yelling from the reception area across the cliff face to a member of staff in the laundry area, which is quite some distance! This really didn't make for a relaxed atmosphere and was thoroughly embarrassing to watch. We really wish we had done our research before booking to stay at this hotel. Unfortunately our vacation was ruined as a result and this place is expensive for what you get. There are certainly better hotels out there.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
6 Thank jpp60993
AlexanderBourtzoglou, Owner at Alexander's Boutique Hotel of Oia, responded to this review, 9 February 2011
It is very difficult to respond to a second negative review so soon after the last one, especially when they both seem to be personal attacks on me and are posted FOUR MONTHS after your stay.
All I can do is stress how important my guests are to me. As a people person I endeavour to greet all my guests and see to any issues personally. I enjoy socialising with my guests as much as possible and often we enjoy meals or drinks together. I understand that part of the appeal of my hotel is its peaceful atmosphere so do not yell across the cliff at my staff.
I do wonder why, if your stay upset you so much, it took you four months to post your review. I am, however, confused by the date of your stay as I was out of the country from 03 September to 14 October helping my son settle into his university in the UK.
I am genuinely sorry you did not enjoy your stay.
As for your comment about your room having no hairdryer - all our rooms have hairdryers hard-wired into the bathroom. Perhaps you didn't see it?
Any problems brought to my attention by guests such as the electrics or shower you mentioned in your review are fixed immediately as not doing so would be detrimental to my business and with such fierce competition in the hotel industry I cannot afford to be complacent about such matters. I am suprised to hear you experienced these issues as we undergo regular maintenence of all our electrical systems, water heating, and plumbing every winter in an effort to avoid such issues.
However, you have shared your opinion about my hotel and I appreciate your feedback and apologise you did not enjoy your stay. I do, however feel our hotel is competitively priced for the location and the amenities we offer.

Alexander

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Houston, Texas
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 January 2011

I only recently came across tripadvisor and decided I must say what I thought of this hotel as the recent reviews paint a very different picture to the experience my friendsand I had when we visited last year. Although I see there are many negative reviews about the overbooking problem earlier on. I am suspicious about how genuine many of the gushing reviews are as we found the way this hotel is managed to be an unbelievable mess with management who deliberately mislead their customers by double booking rooms then shun all responsiblity. We booked months in advance only to arrive and be told that our room was already booked to someone else and that we would have to be moved to a far inferior room. We were furious and had it not been for the long journey from the US and that we only had a few days in Santorini, we would have packed our bags and left there and then. Instead of being concerned about fixing our situation the owner was more concerned about sorting out what appeared to be a heated personal argument with a young male member of staff and to hell with us! We told the girl who checked us in that we wanted to speak with the owner and get the matter sorted out, he refused to deal with the problem and on seeing us standing there turned on his heels, left the hotel and drove off! Some customer service - a case of we've got your money and we don't give a damn about you! So all the comments we are reading about how attentive he is couldn't be further from the truth. I call it sheer arrogance from somebody who clearly doesn't understand that their customers are their future! The location is great but then all the hotels in Oia enjoy the same fabulous view and many are cheaper and better in that they have a pool on the premises rather than 2 blocks away. Alexanders is truely over-rated and I really don't think they deserve the credit they get neither my friends nor I would recommend this place to anyone.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with friends
3 Thank agmiller501
AlexanderBourtzoglou, Owner at Alexander's Boutique Hotel of Oia, responded to this review, 30 January 2011
As the owner of Alexander's Boutique Hotel I feel compelled to respond to this review. Occasionally, due to unforseen circumstances, we end up with an overbooking at our hotel. On the very rare occassion this occurs our company policy is to relocate affected guests to another of our rooms of a higher standard. We never relocate guests to a room which is inferior to the one they booked. I do strongly believe "my customers are my future". Although this review was written four months after the guests stayed at my hotel I am certain I would recall such an incident had it happened as I make sure to greet all my guests and personally ensure their stay at my hotel is enjoyable. I am saddened to hear that these guests did not enjoy their stay but value all feedback and use it to ensure our hotel continues to earn its reputation as a special boutique hotel, with great service, in a fantastic location.

Alexander
San Diego
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

The hotel is very well situated! Accomodations were really good, pricing was fair and service excellent!! Perfect place to spend your honwymoon.

Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Santorini, Greece
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 January 2011

Alex and his staff are absolutely wonderful. They go out of their way to make your stay a pleasant and enjoyable. The rooms each have a character of its own. They are clean, cozy, and quaint. We stayed at the cave house and I must say that it was very comfortable, not to mention affordable. Breakfast is served every morning over a breathtaking view of Oia's waters. It is just absolutely gorgeous! You are sure to find peace and serenity at Alexander's Boutique. I highly recommend this place for anyone who appreciates beauty, tranquility, and exceptional service at an affordable price.

Thank you, Alexander's Boutique!

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple
Manalapan, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 December 2010

Extremely comfortable and romantic getaway. Alexander himself is a delight and he looks after all guest needs, including dinners out at good local tavernas with fascinating local friends. Spectacular views of the Caldera from your individual breakfast terrace. Must be comfortable with stairs, as there are about 10 down to the hotel. One of the few hotels open in the winter season, when Oia is blissfully quiet.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2010

I do not know where to begin...our stay at Alexander's was incredible. We were treated like family and felt at home even though we were a world away from Los Angeles. The suite was beautiful, clean, spacious, romantic and comfortable. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Alexander made himself available to ensure our stay in Santorini was memorable, he is a wonderful person and takes a lot of pride in his hotel and his love for Oia. The veranda overlooking the Caldera was like something out of a dream and we toasted our wine glasses to a picture-perfect sunset each evening. The Jacuzzi under the Agean night sky was the best way to rest our bones after each day of exploration. It was sad to leave and we cannot wait to come back to our little home away from home and visit our new friends in Santorini. I cannot recommend this hotel more, it is a must! The location is great and I have nothing but good things to say.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Logan, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 November 2010

First of all, I must say that this is one of the few places open in November in Oia, with a Great view of the Caldera, walking distance to the sunset, spacious cave houses or cute and cozy ones, you have your choice. Very quiet and comfortable, very clean. Hot tub worked great! A lot more than just a continental breakfast; Angello was always available to help. The owner Alexander is terrific, he loves antiques and so do we. All the room décor was fantastic, great taste! By the way, Internet access is FREE! Very short distance to swimming pool.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple