“Great location in the middle of Oia.”

The Museum Spa Wellness Santorini Hotel
Ranked #47 of 55 Hotels in Oia
Melbourne, Australia
“Great location in the middle of Oia.”
Reviewed 14 September 2013 via mobile

Had a great six night stay at this hotel; we stayed in a junior suite which was the perfect size.

Staff were all helpful; even offering to make me a smiley face omelette on my birthday after noticing the date on our check in form.

Hotel is right in the middle of Oia; fantastic location for anywhere you want to go, not right on the Caldera but still good views.

Only negative would be the overflowing shower that often flooded the suite.

• Stayed September 2013

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 12 September 2013

We stayed in this hotel for five nights in August 2013 and it was great. The location is very central to the whole village. I thought it would be sort of corporate, because it was affiliated with Best Western, but it was definitely a locally owned and operated. The staff was very friendly and helpful. We had a very cozy room that also had a great view of the sunset from our balcony (room 115). Breakfast was a nice spread.

The only bad thing I could say was the the bathroom was pretty cramped, but I have a feeling that is common in Santorini.

Room Tip: Room 115 has a nice view of the sunset.
Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Londen22
Canberra, Australia
Reviewed 4 September 2013

Overall the hotel was fine, and I got an excellent deal, pool outside the door, private room at the back, only 3 other rooms there plus 2 which were used as admin offices, so I could have breakfast out the front of my room and spend tine out there at night with the pool fountain playing happily. However, there was a challenge. I didn't realise that many hotels replicate the original cave houses in some of their rooms, this was one of them. The bedroom was a sort of mezzanine, but because it had the cave semi circular ceiling even I (at 5 foot 2) couldn't stand up in there. So all dressing was done in the entrance area. The bathroom was also fun as the shower curtain wasn't long enough so the floor got very wet, not that it mattered much because after room service all the floors were still very wet so it became rather slippery and dangerous. I ended up asking if I could keep the mop in my room so i could mop it myself. Having said that the staff were awesome, super helpful and in many respects I felt sorry for them as way too many things were just not quite right and they had to find a way of dealing with things that weren't their fault. I think management needs to have a few lessons in how to provide good accommodation. As I say though, I got a good deal so it was value for money.

Room Tip: Always check if it is a cave type room or a normal room. Do not take a cave room no matter how charm...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 August 2013

Stayed 9 days with my sister for a relaxing sightseeing holiday. Had a fantastic time. Hotel is quiet, perfectly located right in the centre of Oia. Our twin room was spacious, clean, no views but only 4 steps away from the lovely little pool that we relaxed in morning noon and night.. The staff were very helpful and friendly, they made us feel very welcome. Breakfast was fine if you avoid the tepid coffee and watery orange juice. We did have fresh orange juice a couple of mornings that was delicious. Three days of intermittent electricity and water didn't hinder the experience and the staff did all they could to make sure we had what we needed candles/lamps/water and even a burner to boil a saucepan for an evening coffee. Would go back to this hotel again but would probably book one of. The honeymoon suites with the 360* views. The last night we saw the sunset from the restaurant opposite which had 360* breathtaking views and the food was great too. Tip.... Get the local bus from the airport and back via Fira and save yourself a fortune! See the volcano, hot springs and Thirissa on a boat trip. Bus to Fira and beyond and visit the farthest end of Perissa Beach. The archeological ancient Akrotori is well worth a visit too, and tag onto a tour guide as they bring it all to life, amazing!

Room Tip: Honeymoon suites have the only views. But for the pool use the own stairs rooms were excellent.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 8 August 2013 via mobile

This was my second time visiting Santorini, and after staying in Fira last time, I choose to stay in Oia this time. The draw to staying in Oia is having a cliff-side room with a view of the sea, and that is what I booked. Unfortunately, when we arrived to check in at the hospitality center which apparently manages several hotels, I was informed that there was a problem with our room and that we were being moved to a different hotel. They assured me this was an upgrade (and that we were even being given the "honeymoon suite"), that I would not be charged extra, and I was even given a voucher for a discount on a massage at the spa in the new hotel. When we arrived at the new hotel, the Best Western, we found it in the middle of town so that we had lost the cliff-side view of the water we had wanted. The "honeymoon suite" was little more that a slightly larger than average room, it did have a rooftop deck, but that only provided you with views of air conditioning units and drying laundry. When we went to schedule a massage we found that the discount voucher we had been given for our inconvenience was the same discount customers receive if they pay in cash instead of with a card. Other things that left us sour about this hotel experience were the shower without a curtain or glass so that water sprays all over the bathroom, and a breakfast that has little more than bad coffee and cereal.
The only reason I am not giving this hotel a lower rating is that the staff was friendly and helpful. They assisted in scheduling transfers to and from the port, and gave advice on walking to Fira and general transportation options.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kurt R
London
Reviewed 25 July 2013

I was most pleased to see that the receptionist who greeted me on arriving in Oia village was the one that worked at the hotel. She was extremely helpful (carrying my rather heavy bag up several steps to the hotel) and advising me on where to buy the best gelato ... and she was right!! The Lolita's Gelato provided the best I have tasted. Anyway back to the hotel. Its very erm rustic and I was pleased as I had booked a single room and they had upgraded me to a double. The room (No.16) was ok they have cooker, utensils, flat screen TV, radio. My room had a view of the pool area and the best view of the sunset that anyone could wish for. Shower was very tiny (I'm 5'10) and struggled, trying to avoid flooding the bathroom.
The hotel is very well situated amongst several lovely shops, galleries and restaurants. Its a good place to base yourself.
My only very small gripe was that the sun loungers were in the shade (sun hit the pool and an area where it would have been inconvenient to place a sun lounger. Other than that I think it was worth what I paid just for its convenient location and the sunset. I missed breakfast a couple of times as the continental fare did not really suite me. But liked the fact I had till 11am to have breakfast if I wanted it.
I would book with them again just to try the spa treatments which I did not have time for on this trip.

Room Tip: I think rooms 16-18 and those above them have the best view for the sunset which is truly amazing.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 19 July 2013

We stayed at the Museum Spa Hotel for five nights and in our view, it did not quite meet our expectations. Starting with some things you are very likely to enjoy: the hotel is nicely situated in the middle of Oia and you are within walking distance from the caldera or the main square where you can get a taxi/bus to Fira. The reception staff is friendly and the person who helped us with the luggage was exceptionally friendly and helpful. The breakfast is tasty and you will enjoy the sweet Greek watermelon or a very nice cheese omelette, freshly made and served warm. I would suggest not going anywhere near the orange juice though, it is quite poor. The rooms are spacious and we were happy our room was not especially noisy, especially after 12 or 1am but if you are a light sleeper (like me) expect that you might need earplugs before 1am, as there is a bit of noise coming from the street. But overall, the beds are nice, pillows and mattress were soft, so you will enjoy a good night's sleep. The room was spacious and we enjoyed how it the furniture was arranged, we were happy with the TV and we thought it covered our needs. The bathroom is small, but I would not say in a disturbing way, unless you are planning to have a candlelit bath or have specific expectations. We thought it was ok.

However, the room lacked in cleanliness.... The cleaning staff did not clean thoroughly, I found that they were cleaning the bathroom and collecting the rubbish only. They did not change our sheets in these 5 nights, not even once and on day 4, they never came in to clean (not even the bathroom) or collect the rubbish. The staff does not speak Greek... We know that English is a lingua franca and most people speak it, but there are non English-speaking Greek tourists as well and they are unlikely to find communication easy. There might be someone speaking Greek there but we never met them in 5 days, so did not enjoy that. The spa is advertised as luxury but they were only able to offer swedish massage I was explicitly told by reception, which was a disappointment.

It is not a choice you will regret and we felt that we enjoyed our stay, however we feel that more Greek speaking staff and more attention on cleanliness is more than needed. There is an informal atmosphere around the place, so not conventionally professional, but we did not mind that. Not great for a honeymoon but ok enough for a night or two if you are staying in Oia. Do your research before booking and before getting the transfer service from the port, try booking a taxi. It's cheaper by 5-10 euros and most likely to be more on time (we were collected 40 minutes later than expected with no notice).

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Tanguera1904
HotelMuseum, Public Relations Manager at The Museum Spa Wellness Santorini Hotel, responded to this review, 17 October 2013
Dear guests,
Thank for sharing your experience with us. We are pleased to know that you enjoyed the comfort of your room, the treatment you received from our staff and the breakfast. Still, we are sorry to hear that our hotel did not meet all your expectations.
As regards the cleanliness issue that you mentioned in your comment, we can assure you that service is our main interest and we pay very close attention to it, regular and random checks and inspections being performed both by the reception and the management staff. Therefore, in accordance with the hotel policy, in the case of a longer stay, the sheets are changed following two nights of stay. Since your stay included five days, we can assure you that your sheets were changed on the third day, as specified in our records and confirmed by our cleaning personnel. Please accept our apologies for the transfer delay that you experienced. Nevertheless, at that time, this problem was caused by a traffic jam which affected the entire traffic on the sector leading to the port. As regards the transport rate difference that you mention, we can assure that renting a taxi is not more convenient ( on the contrary ) since, besides the transport price, an extra charge is often added for the luggage or if there is a delayed arrival at the airport or port, clients are also obliged to pay an extra fee – recorded by the taxi meter – which would never be the case with our drivers who would wait for our guests as long as necessary without any extra charge.
We thank you for choosing our hotel and if your future travel plans bring you back to Oia, we will be delighted to serve you again!