“A place we call home”

Ranked #45 of 54 Hotels in Oia
Athens, Greece
“A place we call home”
Reviewed 22 January 2013

I have been going to santorini for several years, and for me oia is the only place to stay on the island. We went to nikos villas for the first time in 2007 with our 7 month old baby, and since then we go every single august for minimum 10 days. The view of the caldera is absolutely stunning from most of the rooms, the pool is excellent as you always get some windy days in august where you do not want to go to the beach, though our son absolutely loves the crazy waves. There are rooms on the top of the caldera for families with small children as well as the iposkafa rooms carved in the caldera better suited for couples or families with older children. All rooms have their own kitchenette facilities. The owner is very nice and always around to offer his guest a glass of wine and a plate of grapes from his vine. Breakfast is simple but fresh and all you really need and god did I mention the view?

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
  • Greek first
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 23 August 2012

I have traveled to over 40 countries. I have stayed in an array of hotels. What impresses me is simple: state, in no uncertain terms, the strengths and weaknesses of what you have to offer and aim to please at all times.

Here is an accurate description based on my experience there:

Nikos Villas has a fairly good location. It is located just outside the town of Oia on Santorini. The hotel is along the coast and has a good size pool. The pool is well-maintained. To get a towel, you must go to the front desk, wait for someone to appear or try to find someone who works there and ask.

The breakfast that is included in the stay is a slice of bread or two, juice, coffee and an egg. Not my favorite.

The rooms are old fashioned. The beds seem like they are at least 10-15 years old. The style is Greek quaint.

While they say there is wi-fi, there is only wi-fi, sometimes, in the lobby, it barely works.

Where this hotel goes drastically wrong is with their attitude, service and amenities. They are not into any small touches. If I am paying over $300 a night for a hotel, I expect, at a minimum, that details are taken care of. When I purchased this hotel, they did not charge my card, as instructed in the fine print. I had to follow up with them 7 times in order to get it paid for.

Their service is the absolute bear minimum, at best. They do not seem to care about the happiness of their guests. The young man who helps out there is great but everyone else could not be more careless or lazy, if not downright rude.

I assure you that you can find a much better place to stay where they appreciate your business for significantly less in the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
8 Thank the_real_scoop_0000
Laguna Beach, California
Reviewed 11 June 2012

The views were stunning, the pool delightful, but the rooms looked like a 1950s motel. Double bed, very hard; antiquated bathroom with only a shower, and handheld at that. The breakfasts were good but nothing special. Staff was great, however.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Anonymous52905
Hebden Bridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 June 2012

You know when you go back somewhere and hope it will be as wonderful as your first visit... well it was... Nikos Villas is in the most stunning location overlooking the town of Oia, that in turn overlooks the sunset... why tromp to the end of the town when you can watch the sun setting from your pool or balacony? Then on thother side you have the breathtaking centre of the volcano. No wondre so many people choose to get married here!

It was early season and Nikos was finishing putting the final touches to his Villas - so everything is freshly painted and looking spectacular.

I first visited three years ago with a friend and loved it. This time there were five of us and my friends loved it too. A great place for stunning views and a lovely relaxing holiday.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank Dawn F
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 22 July 2011

My family (husband, wife and two children, ages 21 and 15) stayed at Nikos Villas for 2 nights and three long days in June of 2011. It was selected by an Athens travel agent we used to assemble our trip to Greece. It is clean, comfortable and has a wonderful location on the edge of the caldera. I didn't check out all of the different rooms as they spill down the cliffside, but our location was good, the room adequate (though certainly not modern or luxurious), and we were right by the pool and walking path to Ia, so I can't complain about the hotel. We opened a bottle of wine on the pool deck with friends and had an excellent view of the sunset. Staff were polite and respectful, though didn't go out of their way to be helpful. Breakfast substantial and sufficent, though not spectacular. Bottom line for this: you come to Santorini to see the island, the sunset, the clifftop villages, and the cute little white sugarcube buildings with blue domes that hang precariously over the Mediterranean. Any adequate and comfortable hotel that puts you in the middle of all that fits the bill. I would guess that there are more luxurious hotels in Ia, but I was satisfied with my stay. If I went back to Santorini (which I'm not sure I would, because there so much else in the world to see), I would check out the others.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
5 Thank Familytraveller31
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2011

Much better hotel than some of the reviews would suggest. great room (15), helpful staff, beautiful pool with super views. Only a short walk into the main part of Oia. Not good if you hate cats (in which case pick another country) - there is a resident tabby mum and ginger kitten plus a few visitors who seem to know whenever ham is around......

Oia is much nicer than Firastefani - better choice of restaurants and some great art shops.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank gibbsgirls
Munich
Reviewed 22 June 2011

I read through the reviews of the Nikos Villas dating back as far as 2007.
As a world traveller (10 Years Airline Staff Member) I was a little sceptical about booking the Nikos Villa with my family. I must also state that I have 8 years of training staff in customer services at Europe’s leading number 1 airport.
Reading through the lines of many of the complaints I can see emotions combined with higher expectations. The fact that Nikos Villas has four stars is to be taken into consideration 4 Mediterranean stars. (Now come on guys, four Greek stars are definitely not to be compared with four United Emirate stars). Also reading the behaviour pattern of the owner Mr. Nikos I certainly thought it would not be the correct place for my family.
We had booked the Nikos Villas, Superior 4 star with breakfast for my family (wife and 15 year old daughter) due to the fact that it was recommended by a very good knowledgeable colleague that works for the tour operator that books the Nikos Villas on a regular basis and he personally gave me a guaranteed recommendation, even though I had read the pretty negative reviews in the trip advisors.
I e-mailed the Nikos Villas 2 days before arrival and asked that the management order a bunch of Red Roses for my wife’s birthday (on arrival day) along with a bottle of local white sparkling wine.

We arrived very punctual at the Nikos Villa complex with the tour operator’s transportation. As promised by the tour operator the service staff would be waiting at the side of the road to help with transporting the suitcases and baggage. (Don’t forget if one books a hotel on the edge of a mountain cliff one MUST expect a few hurdles and not
Complain that a small path leads to the hotel entrance). The fact that all guide books quote the magnificent island of Santorini that is reachable via Donkey, should be enough of a HINT that narrow roads, paths and winding rocky entrances are to be expected all over the island.
The young lady at the reception spoke a very pleasant and clear English, not as written in many of the reviews, meet and greeted my family. She very kindly guided us through the complex explaining everything we needed to know and very kindly answered all our questions. The superior room was that of what one could expect for a 4 (Greek) Star facility. All the amenities functioned well, the room was very traditionally decorated with traditional Greek furniture, pictures, a wonderful living room section with the ordered red roses and a bottle of local white sparkling wine (not like in previous reviews that someone said you could not trust Nikos words or even ordering a taxi).
The bathroom was immaculate with Nikos Villas, Soaps, shower caps, crisp white towels, foot mats. Basically everything you could imagine for a 4 (Greek Star Facility).

The main reason I have decided to write this review is due to the fact that I visited the islands of Greece 28 years ago on the Magic Bus from the United Kingdom and ferried across to all the islands. Back then the Islands had a different impression than today.
If you are looking for a clean and luxurious villa complex (United Emirate Luxury or the US Luxury that is offered in the United states) then you are in the wrong place!
If you are looking for a very clean and well managed facility with the most impressive views of the volcano and the village of Oia managed by local traditional Greek family with an international team of staff, then you are in the correct place.

The breakfast was a traditional European, cheeses, ham, salami, bread rolls, fresh orange juice, tea, coffee, and cereals. A very charming service staff member very politely every morning served the breakfast in the English language.. The breakfast choice was that of a European 4 star facility.

As the Nikos Villa is not a “Modern Sleek Boutique” as some one kindly listed (Jerico Travelers). I am fortunate enough to say that I can now afford a higher standard in travelling compared to 28 years ago in a magic bus, as some other reviews have shown the other reviews came from authors who have worked in top class hotels and they where not satisfied with the service. I can recommend that those travellers coming from the USA and UK should possibly read a book about Culture Shock before travelling through the Greek Islands (ISBN-13: 978-1558683594).

As I have been testing some of the worlds highest class hotels, restaurants and airports over the past 10 years in Europe to find that 90% of the discontent of most travellers is due to the lack of intercultural awareness.

If you hear a Greek manager shouting and being (Plain Rude) as pointed out in past reviews, you probably don’t understand that the Greek language allows a louder tone (like the Germans) and that the hands and facial expressions are totally different to the US or British.
After 7 days of splendid, ultra clean overnights in a Superior Villa apartment, with a pleasant view of the Volcano, looking down at a very clean pool (cleaned every morning).
The pool bar was manned daily as published in the brochure and at the reception.
The Sun beds has cushions (Nice white ones, with sun umbrellas)
The food and drinks served at the pool bar was priced at the average Santorini price range.
Low cost products are on sale in local supermarkets if needed. (low budget travellers)
The fact that cats run around the facility is an issue of its own on the Island of Santorini! Cats and dogs belong to the island. If you are against cats and friendly dogs running around stay at home! If you just ignore them they will eventually go away (like smokers).
To close this review with a clear oversight of the Nikos Villas in June 2011:
Impeccable Service
The cleanest facility one could expect (Superior) If you want to stay in cave style traditional house, I am sure the highest standard is difficult to keep as they are musty and clammy even in the highest class on the island, due to the hot and humid climate).
Value for money is definitely given.
Friendliness is Mediterranean style and respectful
The cleaning staff kept our room in a very clean state during our seven days and made sure that when we arrived home after a long day of hiking, sightseeing, shopping or whatsoever that our bedroom, bathroom and living room was impeccable.
I hope that this review has shed some light on the past comments of Nikos Villa in Oia.
When I left the facility this morning and read all the lovely comments hand written by guests from all over the world in various languages thanking the Nikos Villa’s team for their wonderful hospitality and excellent service just shows that things have definitely changed or where possibly over exaggerated by travellers with high expectations in a European, Mediterranean environment.

Room Tip: Room 29 is a superior room with a nice view