“excelent hotel”

Ranked #27 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Sao Paulo
“excelent hotel”
Reviewed 24 November 2012

We recommend a lot this hotel due to spectacular view, kindly atention, strategic location and low price. The very taste breakfast in the terrace is amazing because of the view.The staff is very kind and full dedicated to the passanger

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (48)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
Ontario, Canada
Reviewed 8 October 2012

Staff were outstanding and helpful. The caldera view from our balcony was spectacular. Beautiful large and deep pool with plenty of lounge chairs. We had a spotless 2 bedroom apartment, each with an ensuite bathroom, that was cleaned daily. Great location with a mini-mart next door and a great restaurant across the street. We flew into Santorini and my suitcase was lost. Michael checked daily for it and 2 days later found me at the pool, with my suitcase. Would definitely recommend staying at the Strogili.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Cathy S
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed 28 September 2012

We stayed at Strogili for a week in early September. I would have stayed more in town but I had waited too late to make my reservations (60 days out) and couldn't get a place for the whole stay.

It is a beautiful property with spectacular views and very nice rooms, beautifully furnished with many helpful details. I found the staff to be very friendly and helpful. The pool was very nice with lounge chairs, umbrellas and a beautiful view. The restaurant across the street was very good too. They let us use their laptop which was great although we couldn't get internet reception in our room so had to go up to reception to use it or outside on our patio at night (couldn't see screen in daytime out there).

There were a few cons for me:

-Location: You have to walk into the main part of Oia about 10 minutes, which isn't much but you will also do alot of walking in Oia, so for me it was too much as I have some back problems which flared up. The walk from Strogili to the sunset viewing point is about 25 minutes. If you have any issue with walking or being on your feet too much, I would recommend in more the center of the town.
-Hot Water: We had two rooms. The first was a suite with a separate bedroom which could sleep four. There was plenty of hot water for my husband and I in this room. Then they moved us to a studio which sleeps two. There was a small hot water heater under the bathroom sink which was not enough for even me to finish my shower normally. I had to turn it down to warm rather than hot and sometimes skip shaving because I ran out. I did get better at making it work, not wasting any hot water in the beginning getting the temp right etc. Luckily my husband doesn't mind cool showers because by the time he got his turn the hot water was usually gone. For this price point, that is a big disappointment. I needed a hot shower to recover from the rock hard bed! (which i know is typical for cave houses)
-While it was wonderful to have breakfast served to us on the terrace, it was the same everyday except for a fruit variation which was nice. We got tired of it about half way through the week. It was pretty basic - hard boiled egg, croissant, bread and jam, pound cake, greek yogurt, coffee, orange juice, and some fruit. One day they did include a greek pastry with feta in it instead of the croissant- we would have liked this more often in place of the pound cake.
-Bed is very hard on a stone platform, but if you are staying in a cave house I think it is pretty much expected to be this way.

As other reveiwers said, the rooms right next to reception are definitely less desirable as far as patio and privacy, so I wouldn't take those unless you get a real deal on them.

Overall, I think you do get a nicer hotel for the money with Strogilli than the hotels right in town if you don't mind a little more walking and taking quicker showers, so I would recommend it if those won't be problems for you.

Room Tip: Don't get a room by the reception on the top level unless you get it for a bargain price as the...
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Coloradan
mollymook
Reviewed 24 September 2012

We loved our stay at Strogili Traditional Houses in Oia. The location of the hotel is fabulous, a 5 minute walk to Oia, but just far enough out so as not to be noisy or busy. The views were spectacular and uninterrupted. You can also walk a little way up (2 mins) to a little church with a bottle of vino and watch the sunset, almost alone! theres a little supermarket on the corner which is super handy, as is their cousins restaurant across the road, which does great traditional greek food and takeaway, which was very handy when you couldnt even make the effort to walk across the road for dinner or lunch!!! Our flight from Rome was delayed by hours, so we arrived very late at night and Michael was there to greet us with a happy smile! We were two couples staying here for 2 weeks, after a 4 week holiday in France, Spain and Italy. We had the two apartments next to reception which were lovely, traditional, clean and comfortable. Gorgeous crocheted bedspreads, hot water, well equipped kitchenette. The rooms were serviced daily which was a lovely treat. Anything we needed all we had to do was ask, Michael, Poppi, and Constantina were always around to answer questions, book a taxi or take us somewhere. Breakfast each morning on our terrace was fabulous, always delivered when we wanted it and with a smile. The pool is a little away from the hotel which is a good thing as you don't get the noise if there happen to be kids jumping around in the pool!!! I would stay there again without hesitation and highly recommend it to others. !

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank s2539
Athens, Greece
Reviewed 6 September 2012

We were really satisfied with pur stay in Strogili. It was our first time in Santorini and book Strogili via online, without knowing deeply about this hotel. It turned out to be the best decision.
We rented a car during our stay in Santorini and Strogili has its own parking lot with remote controlled gate.
When we arrieved Michael, a charming gentlemen welcome us and gave us the remote control and started to give us a little orientation around the hotel. Next to the hotel there was a mini market open until midnight, you can find almost anything there from water, ice cream, until eggs and cooking oil. Across the hotel there is a restaurant, tradional greek one, that is not expensive and the cooking was great. And what's best is they also open until midnight.

The hotel itself is located in the main road of Oia, our room was located at the 3rd level, meaning we have to take stairs down towards the caldera view. We rented a room for 3, with small kitchenette, complete with cooking utensils and even the dish washing liquid and sponge.There were 2 bathrooms, not very big room but homey and very clean.

The view was breathtaking, direct non-obstructed view to the caldera. We had our own porch with pergola and chairs for sun bathing. What makes it unique is our breakfast was served in this porch everyday. So we just called reception and ask for breakfast and the staff will deliver it in front of our room, so we can enjoy the breakfast while enjoying the magnificent view.

Breakfast were great, greek yoghurt, assorted fruit of the day, bread, butter, and jam and also croissant, completed with orange juice and coffee, tea or hot chocolate. By the way the croissant was delicious.

The hotel is completed with wifi and also swimming pool. From our room we have to climb stairs and walk towar the mini market, because the swimming pool acces is located behind the mini market. The pool is nice and clean, with the view to the caldera.

Within walking distance we get to the Oia village complex with its stores and restaurants. And also the castle where we can see the famous sunset of Oia.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank irmakartika
Yerevan, Armenia
Reviewed 2 September 2012

We very much enjoyed our stay at Strogili. Beautiful property, charming apartments, thoughtfully arranged and spotlessly clean. The bed was extremely comfortable, furnishings very pleasant, and the shower in a cove had ample room and lots of nice hot water. The hosts are wonderful, gracious and considerate.

A very lovely touch - the breakfast (simple, generous and delicious) is served in the apartments, on the vast and pretty terrace with an absolutely stunning view of the caldera.

The caldera is gorgeous and mesmerizing at any time of the day and night, and you have it all to yourself at Strogili, away from the street noise and the crowd.

We thoroughly explored and enjoyed Santorini during our five days there, and returning to Strogili late at night felt like coming home.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
Alice Springs
Reviewed 8 August 2012

I had passed by this secret little "heaven" on 2 previous trips to Greece, not knowing what lay inside. How glad I am that I found it. I will return and stay longer!
Poppi and Michael provide you with every possible delight.
Pick up from the Port was quick and easy, Michael, an absoute gentleman and thoughtful to the letter!! He handed me a cold bottle of water as soon as I was settled for the safe and relaxing drive ( a change from those nerve wracking taxis) through Thira up to Ioa. Poppi was at reception, friendly, welcoming and a helped make it a smooth arrival. Consideration PLUS... "stairs a problem? " then, put me in a beautiful, quiet corner which I could not have imagined.
My entrance and courtyard was beautiful and the house...blew me away. My fascination with all things Greek-tradition... was well and truly delighted. In some ways I felt that it was a privilige to be staying in these magnificent rooms. The original tapestries, unfinished artwork on its easel, crochet tablecloth and bedspreads, and a very well equiped kitchen, made me wish this really was my "home" for longer than I was staying. Everything was SPOTLESS and simply beautiful.
Nothing was too much trouble for Michael ( carrying luggage up those stairs is quite a workout) who also served a delicious breakfast on a balcony which had the most amazing views of the Caldera and Ioa town.
It is ideally located almost across the road from a small, quiet supermaket which carries the basics - and some goodies - and the fabulous pool with Tea/coffee etc ammenities for Strogili guests. Also, it is a very short and pleasant stroll into Ioa village.... the prettiest spot on Santorini!
Considering the incredible heat and how busy they were, I was amazed by their calm, warm and friendly approach to everything. A lovely young couple who should be very proud of themselves. Their rooms, service and dealings with their guests are faultless!

Room Tip: Every room has magnificent views of the caldera! The rooms at the bottom of the steps are very qui...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled solo