“Esperas Was Fantastic!”

Esperas
Ranked #1 of 34 Oia B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 30 September 2013

We stayed at Esperas for 5 nights in early September for our 25th anniversary. It is hard to add anything new to the positive comments which have been written by others. I would just emphasize a few points. First, like some others, I also debated the question of the Sunset view at Esperas versus the full Caldera view at other Oia and Fira hotels. In reality, the Esperas view is also stunning and we had plenty of opportunities to see the full caldera view when walking about OIa or hiking to Fira (yes - we did the 9 kilometer walk). On the other hand, being able to sit on our deck and see the sunset, without having to fight the crowds, was a very special treat. As some others have said, if you like privacy or quiet, your room selection can matter quite a bit, as some rooms near the entrance or the pool have more people walking right past you (and you can hear the poolside conversations). We had a suite which was perfect for us because it was further down the hillside and thus quite private. Finally, a hotel can be in a lovely location, but if the staff is not friendly, the overall experience can still suffer. I am happy to say that we found everyone at Esperas to be wonderfully friendly and helpful, which really was the icing on the cake. In the end, we really felt that we made the perfect choice on Santorini.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Julia M, General Manager at Esperas, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you, thank you, thank you first for choosing Esperas and secondly for sharing with the world your experience. We take great pride in creating wonderful memories for our guests and it was exceptionally satisfying to read your choice in us payed off.

Reviewed 30 September 2013

We recently stayed at Esperas for 4 nights in room 105 . We loved our stay here , the staff were all extremely helpful , room was nice and had an amazing view ( as do all the rooms )
, breakfast delicious , views amazing . The pool was a welcome respite a on a hot day .

1  Thank MimiPerthWA

Thank you for your kind words and review. I was very glad to hear you had a great time at Esperas. I would caution future guests though that we do not have a room 105! Thank you once more.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

There are places that one cannot express the feeling. Oia is one of them and Esperas is the best place to be there. Rooms are fantastic and view is beyond imagination. Staff is super friendly and helpful. What a wonderful breakfast. Each room has a private balcony and terrace with chairs and umbrella. You will find very good restaurants for lunch and dinner close by. Everything is in walking distance. Where ever you go, make sure you are back at your room for the sunset show. You see hundreds of people on top of hill while you enjoy the magic show from your balcony with wine and cheese. Hotel pool is also wonderful and overlooks the sea. This Hotel is the best we have ever been anywhere. It is a different but pleasing and relaxing experience. Just make sure you ask the hotel to send a taxi to pick you up from airport and also to take you there.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you, thank you, thank you for your truly wonderful descriptions and accurate portrayal of Esperas. It is with great pride that I read all your kind words about our property and your overall experience.

Reviewed 29 September 2013

My friend Annie and I spent 5 nights at his wonderful resort in Oia in Santorini.
The resort has the most friendly and helpful staff for all services. The pool is just the right temperature and the views are out of this world. It is what you would think of a typical Greek Island hotel with the rooms carved into the side of the cliff. We had some fabulous meals around the pool, many glasses of wine, and everything was delivered with a smile. Our room had two terraces overlooking the Caldera and the views of the setting sun were spectacular. From booking to check in and check out everthing was handled perfectly....couldn't be more happy

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank PetAustralia
Julia M, General Manager at Esperas, responded to this reviewResponded 30 September 2013

The whole Esperas would like to thank you both of you lovely ladies for your wonderful review and kind words. Your accurate descriptions (pool temperature, meals, service with a smile etc.) help us and future visitors immensely!

Reviewed 28 September 2013

This is an excellent place to stay in Oia. I would have given 5 stars if not for one problem (explain at end of review), so I give it 4 stars.

We were in room 118, at the bottom of the complex, which is most private (other reviews noted this, which is why we booked this room). Because it is at the bottom, it involved the most steps. My wife had injured her leg about a month prior to our trip, but she managed the stays with a cane (slowly, but did fine). In Oia, you are up and down lots of stairs anyway (with our room selection, we just had a few more). Room was decent size for the locale. It was nice, comfortable, and clean. We had a fantastic sunset view from our balcony (Sun all the way into the ocean – many hotels will claim a sunset view, but you don’t get the sun all the way into the water). All of the rooms in this property would have this view.

The shower was not very big to look at, but it felt decent size enough, and was surprisingly refreshing. There was a tiny window at head high, so you had an ocean view during a shower (but was still private). The room has a very spacious balcony. The entry door was a little low (my wife called it a hobbit house) but the ceilings were plenty high enough. I’m 5” 11” and I cleared the door most of the time, but if I was wearing glasses on top of my head and not paying attention, I would hit. If you are 5’10” or less, no problems, but if you are 6’+ you will need to always play attention.

The staff here was very pleasant and helpful. On our first night, I called reception to book dinner at restaurant at Ammoudi bay below the hotel. There was a shortcut from the bottom of the resort (right outside our room) to the main walk down the hill. When we booked, we were leaving the hotel immediately, and one of the staffers was at our door with 2 flashlights to help light our way down. They also handled our bags on arrival and departure. The closest you can get a car to hotel is not very close, so unless you are a very light packer, the assistance with the bags was much appreciated.

Now for the one issue that bumped this property from 5 to 4 (and would have been even lower had it ended worse) . I arranged a taxi to our next hotel in Santorini the day prior to departure (which was Anastasis near Imerovigli, and BTW, gets 5 stars big time). Checkout was at noon, so I booked my taxi for 12:15 PM for 25 euro. Hotel desk said they would pick our bags up ~noon, we would go the parking lot where we were dropped on arrival (and meet by bag handler), and the taxi driver would call Anastasis when he was nearby so the hotel staff would meet us on arrival. Sounded great – but that is not how it went. About 15 minutes before check out, the hotel desk called my room and asked if we could take taxi at 12:05 PM instead. We were packed an ready to go, so I agreed. Our bags were picked up and we headed to the parking lot. There was another couple in our hotel waiting for taxi also. Turns out we were going to share. That was fine and taxi was and taxi was actually a decent size mini bus. The Esperas staff loaded up our bags, instructed us all to board, and off we went. So far, so good. But then the taxi stopped at the Oia bus stop and picked up as many passengers as he could fit. Then he drove to Fira and dropped those passengers off, then he dropped off the other couple. the driver expected us to get of there also. I explained we where not going there, and advised we were going to Anastasis apartments. He did not know were that was (so the hotel did not give him any of the info, so that is the hotel's big good). The driver asked for my booking papers (more like ordered me to provide). Well those were packed away, so I had to dig them out. I did, and the driver then he called hotel, and received instructions (I assume). But he was still lost. The driver finally asked someone on the street that knew were the hotel was (and fortunately Anastasis was on the main road). So we made it, but it could have been worse (particularly if we got off where driver was instructing us to get off, or if Anastasis was not on a main road). I expect Esperas made a little ore profit combining fares, which is fine, and they probably have now control of the driver loadig up the bus full at the bus stop (fare on a local bus would have been 1.60 euro per person, and it turns out there is a bus stop about 100 yards from Anastasis). But Esperas switching my taxi last minute (but they did ask or my permission) and not giving the booking details to the driver was a bad miss for them. Hopefully the read this review and train staff to not to make this mistake for future customers (and get all 5 stars from now on).

1  Thank Jims4214
Julia M, General Manager at Esperas, responded to this reviewResponded 29 September 2013

I would like to start by wishing your wife a speedy recovery from her leg injury. In your email correspondence with the hotel (and not the travel agency through which you made the booking) you had requested the particular room which was at the bottom of the hotel and so I hope this fact did not aggravate your wife's condition. As per the transfer incident, we take complete responsibility on the part of the transfer agency we use. I only wish we knew of this sooner (while you were still on the island) so that we could remedy the situation then and there. You should have been made aware at the front desk that the price quoted was for a shared transfer as there are only 39 licensed taxis on the island and that's the reason we use minibuses. This is because all the hotels in Oia are closed from November to April and therefore there is no one for the taxis to transport. We do NOT make money from the transfers of our guests and we always give detailed instructions to the transfer agency about where our guests are going by email. But as I said before, we accept the blame on behalf of the same transfer agency we have been using for the past 12 years. This sort of incident will never happen again simply because we will cease this cooperation at the end of the current contract (end of October). Please accept our sincere apologies for what happened and for spoiling what otherwise was a memorable vacation.

Reviewed 27 September 2013

Our family stayed at Esperas for 2 nights towards the end of our trip in Greece and we sort of have mixed feelings since we had 2 different experiences of the place, due mostly to the weather. Firstly, we were really impressed by the service when from the moment we arrived. There were staff that helped carry your luggages to your rooms, which we felt rather bad because our luggages were quite heavy. The staff at Esperas were very warm, friendly and helpful, and they did everything to make you feel at home. The highlight of our first day (and stay) has to be watching the sun set from our own verandahs, and having dinner while it happened.

The bad experience came on the 2nd night when it rained. This made the steps rather slippery and my sister even fell as she went down the stairs. I guess they could try to make the steps less slippery. Also, because of the rain, there was a bit flooding in the living room of my parents' rooms as well.

This might sound a bit contradictory, but overall we still enjoyed ourselves at Esperas despite the rain. There is probably no better place to enjoy the sunset other than in Esperas.

We hope to be back soon.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Thank you for your kind words and your positive review. I was very sorry to hear that the weather spoiled your stay in Santorini and that your sister slipped during the rain. Although we try to arrange a perfect sunset for every night, I am sorry to say we are not always successful. The service and the attentiveness to our guests though is something we take great pride in.

Reviewed 24 September 2013

Oia is the best area to stay in Santorini. Hotel Esperas has a wonderful sunset view from every room. The staff are friendly and helpful. They carry your bags down all the steps to your room, which are many! Do not stay here if you are handicapped, although they would probably carry you if you asked. The bed was comfortable. We loved our little deck.

Room Tip: A couple of rooms have decks that everyone can look into as they climb the steps to the lobby or the...