I probably do more research than one can fathom when planning trips. Endless nights going through reviews on TA and Booking.com and others, hoping to find the perfect place with no regrets. With my wife and I heading to Santorini for 4 days to celebrate our anniversary, and there being 200 options to pick from, Esperas came out on top and was the perfect pick.
I'll admit that as we were driving to the parking lot above the hotel, I was getting worried. The view was weird and I had no idea where the hotel actually was. But then the bellboy straps your bags to a cart and you start walking...the views get better...you are getting lower...you keep walking...the views are amazing...and you're getting lower...you pass people and they are jealous that you're still walking...and then you get there, and holy crap, the views are breathtaking, the decor stunning, and the ambiance is everything you wanted it to be.
We had room 111 and it was perfect. It was around halfway down, had unobstructed views of the caldera and the sunset from our balcony, and just made you feel relaxed in every way. There are a few rooms lower that might have had a slightly better view, but we had no regrets at all.
Also, the breakfast is unreal! Served on your balcony, in your room, or in the main area, it's incredibly fresh and you get so much food (you fill out an order form when you arrive and can make changes as you want). It was honestly the perfect start to every day for us. I have no idea how they make their OJ, but it's delicious.
The hotel is located about a 5-7 minute walk from the main town area of Oia. The first time you make the walk you'll probably hate yourself for not doing more squats at home, but from then on it's a piece of cake. Also note that Esperas isn't a really big social scene. It's built for relaxing and unwinding. We met some other guests and they were all friendly, but people aren't raging until the wee hours or anything. If you want that, head to Fira.
The staff is also great. They are SO friendly, great with recommendations, and can help organize and book anything you'd ever need.
In terms of the views, they simple can't be beat. When you look up and see hundreds of people at the top of the cliff trying to get the same view you have from your balcony, you know you chose wisely.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Esperas is a unique full service hotel that offers you the opportunity to experience the traditional cave houses of Santorini coupled with one of the most breathtaking views on the planet. A five minute walk from the center of the picturesque village of Oia, the complex is exclusively situated on the edge of a hanging cliff side (the Caldera), overlooking the breathtaking sunset and the volcanic rocks. An ambiance of comfort and relaxation is present throughout the 20 houses, complemented by traditional furniture and antique pieces. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Ebookers, TripOnline SA, Agoda, Hotels.com, HotelsClick and 5viajes2012 S.L. so you can book your Esperas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Esperas Traditional Houses Hotel Oia
- Esperas Traditional Hotel
- Hotel Esperas Traditional
- Esperas Santorini/Oia