“Like Having Your Own Home in Santorini”
Review of Old Oia Houses

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Oia
Old Oia Houses
Ranked #40 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Chicago, Illinois
“Like Having Your Own Home in Santorini”
Reviewed 26 May 2012

I just got back from a 3 day stay in Santorini; residing in old oia houses. I'm part greek and my goal was to get the closets experience to what it would be like if I actually lived in Santorini and Old Oia Houses does just that. The hotel rooms are more like apartments, small kitchen with fridge and stove top, breakfast nook, and private balcony. Location is perfect right. You get a direct caldera view and are right near the Oia sunset hotspot; literally takes a minute to walk to.

A husband and wife own the houses and take great care of you; speaks clear English for those who are wondering. If your worried about ranging parties, don't be. Santorini especially Oia isn't that type of a place. I got the best sleep here and I can never sleep any where new. I stayed in room # two and was a solo traveler; this room would be perfect for either a single person or a couple. Price of the rooms are very reasonable for the location and I must say if you are traveling to Greece and Santorini is on your list, totally invest more money into your stay in Santorini--it's worth it.

Room Tip: There isn't a pool at this hotel. But hello you are on island so go to the beaches...that's...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Stade, Germany
Reviewed 22 April 2012

I found this place in Internet, I think through Tripadvisor. I made the booking through email; all questiones were answered and everything very friendly. There are several houses, we had Nr3, 1 bigger living room with 2 beds and 1 small bedroom, a small kitchen. We are 1 couple with 1 child. A simple breakfast is included, buy what you need additional. There are shops and restaurants around. Everything is simple but tasteful. The terrace has a magnificent view of the caldera. We stayed 9 days, I think only few people stay so long, most are asiatic or american tourists rushing through Europe. We were sad to leave. The sunsets at the castle area are beautiful. We were there during off season, this is highly recommended. The season starts actually on May, on April some restaurants and hotels open also. There are also during off season open restaurants, Blue sky and Lotza, Lotza belongs to the same owner of Old Oia Houses. It has a beautifull view of the caldera and the staff is very friendly. You cannot expect a cullinary great restaurant in such a touristic place. But its OK. Santorini is not cheap. Old Oia Houses is for me the best value in Oia, I would return and I would recommend it it to anybody who comes for the location and the view, not for 5 stars comfort. There are many accommodations for honeymooners on Santorini for 1000Euro or more. Despite off season (end of March, beginning of April) it was not boring at all. You can walk a lot, the views are magnificent. It is nothing for people who cannot walk, also many stairs. I would not like to be there during the high season with millions of tourists, avoid it if you can, must be terrible. During March and April you must be lucky with the weather, we were, 19-20°C, sunshine. The sea is cold, I was swimming 2 times but on the Island of Paros, maybe 17°C, it was nice. I would not go to Santorini for the beaches, but for the villages and for the view. You can go cheap and easy by bus. But you actually need a car for about 2-3 days to see the island. Fira is a place for few hours only, I like Oia much more. Lunch at the beach of Kamari. Drive up to Ancient Thira, the view is great. Go to the lighthouse of Akrotiri and walk around, its so great. Not far from it Red Beach. It is a small island but you can do a lot, 9 days were not enough. I didnt go to the Isl. of Tirasia in the Caldera again. A pity. A nice trip must be also to the Isl. of Ios. We came by plane from Athens and left by Blue Star Ferries to Paros, a great new luxury ship but cheap. Also nice to have a lunch at the harbour before departure. You can pay the room by credit card, if the machine at the office is not working then at the Lotza Restaurant. The owners are very friendly and helpfull. My conclusion: Old Oia Houses are a absolute recommandation.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Boracay99
Reviewed 26 March 2012

Old oia houses is one of the few cheap places in Oia and it has the best value! We spent 70 euros and 80 euros per night during low season for type A and type B.theyre same in size but B can sleep four instead of two. Nice view of the caldera from the private balcony and rooftop. Towels were changed once during four night stay. It's really nice to open the window and see the sea when we got up in the morning. Also interesting to play with the cats in the balcony. Perfect location to walk anywhere in Oia. The only downside is the Weak Internet connection

• Stayed March 2012
Reviewed 12 December 2011

Everything was perfect! The room, the view... Nothing to complain. It's the sweetest and the nicest place I've ever been. Recommend to have room either 1 or 2 where the room are the most gorgeous among others. The people we met at Lotza restaurant and Maria, the housekeeper were also so nice. This is what I'd call heaven on earth and I would die to go back again!

• Stayed October 2011
3 Thank Andromedra
Perth, Australia
Reviewed 11 December 2011

My partner and I spent 6 nights at Old Oia Houses at the end of August. We stayed in unit 2 which is just off a main pedestrian street behind a gate so whilst it was busy on the street, as soon we we got behind the gate it was quiet and private. The unit next to us also shared the same entrance so we saw them occasionally.

The room is a traditional cave house and was clean and spacious enough for the two of us and our luggage. The doorways were a bit low for my partner who had to duck to avoid hitting his head but that was part of the charm. The kitchen was well equipped and had a small fridge for drinks and spreads for breakfast. The bathroom has a window that faces out to the ocean so even when you're in the shower you have panoramic views!

Every morning we woke up early to watch the sunrise from our balcony, it really is worth doing. Fresh bread is delivered around 9am by cheery Anna who also cleans the rooms. We spent most of our time enjoying the views from our balcony but enjoyed getting out to explore early before the crowds set in. Our unit was close to everything, only a few minutes away to watch the sunset and a short walk to restaurants and shops. Whilst there isn't a few of the sunset from the unit, it is sheltered from the wind that is on the other side of Oia and it's beautiful at night seeing the lights from other towns on the island.

It was so hard to leave this paradise, and we will be returning again. This is absolute paradise.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Ontario
Reviewed 13 November 2011

I spent about a year researching accommodations in Oia. I wanted the perfect view of the whitewashed houses, blue domed churches, and the Caldera. In my opinion, the house we had offered one of the best, if not the best views in all of Santorini. I think the only other comparable views that I could see from other operators would be from either the Sea Captains House or Aspaki (both with much higher rates). We were in the Venetian house unit #1 (unit 2 also has the same view). It is located on the main walkway across from the clocktower accessed through a small private courtyard. The only stairs are the ones to the second floor bathroom or 3 floor balcony. It is on the top of the caldera (not a cave house) and I liked the fact of not having anyone above us. It also provided an unbeatable panoramic view below of at least 5 blue domed churches and the caldera. There was one small private balcony off the main floor bedroom and a roof top patio shared only with unit#2 (both amazing). It was a very central location but also very quite and private due to the topography and layout. The house was very clean and well maintained with authentic décor… I wanted to stay away from modern styled accommodations. Check in was simple and Gill was very friendly and informative.

There seems to be a newer part of Oia (south of the main square towards Fira) and an older part (north of the square towards the sunset point). I much preferred the older side and our house was in the center of it. The other OOH units are also on the old side but about a third of the way down and closer to the north and also have a nice view. They are cave houses so your choice is a cave house or a slightly better view.

We ate most of our meals on our private balcony, which were some of the best times of our unforgettable visit. The To Fourni bakery on the main road about 100 yards past the bus stop is very good… go at least once! Walk down to Ammoudi Bay at sunset for a meal… we enjoyed Dimitri’s. If you have time and are in decent shape hike from Imerovigli out to the lonely church on Skala Rock.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Mark W
London
Reviewed 31 October 2011

Stayed in Old Oia Houses' properties twice now (they have many to choose from) and both have been amazing. Whilst basic, they have alll the amenities you really need and to be honest, you'll spend all your time on your terrace staring open mouthed at the view. Oia is one of the most beautiful places on earth and these affordable properties are a great base from which to enjoy it. The traditional white cave houses are very quirky and offer staggering views, in and amongst the higgeldy-piggeldy paths and cliffs.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple