“Read this if you are over 50 and overweight!!!”
Review of Caldera Villas

Caldera Villas
Ranked #43 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Nicosia
“Read this if you are over 50 and overweight!!!”
Reviewed 16 September 2011

Magnificent views, huge WOW factor. However... I should have been informed at booking stage that there would be 122 steps up-down from the street and 60 steps up-down from reception-breakfast. Totally unsuitable for anyone over 50 years old or over 65 kilos weight, unless you own a helicopter..
Excellent staff, very clean, very exciting, but I nearly left my bones there...

Room Tip: Don't go if you have a problem with steps!!
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
5 Thank Anarchitect

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
Montreal
Reviewed 14 September 2011

Yes, there are 70 steep steps to go down before you reach the reception but if you want the best view of the Caldera, that's part of the game and it's worth every drop of sweat (plus, if you stay long enough, you'll be thankful for the butt of steel it will give you). First, you will meet Sammy who will help you with your luggage. And then, right after you are stunned by the view of the Calderas, you will meet Elena, a wonderful host with crazy energy and great cooking skills that she might share with you if she has time.
Each room is unique and all the ones I have seen were very comfortable. Like I said in a previous review, in order to fully appreciate a new country, you need to leave your usual standards home and get over the lack of king-sized beds and designer bathrooms because you will miss out on too many things that are worth so much more than the comfort at the Hilton. And honestly, if you are not completely taken by the view in front of you, I just don't think we can be friends.

Room Tip: They all have a spectacular view but the bigger ones are near the reception (but might be less quiet...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Amblouin
Switzerland
Reviewed 4 September 2011

We just returned from staying three nights at the Caldera Villas. All I can say is that this small hotel offers tranquility, great value for the money has excellent views over the caldera and nice rooms. The staff is exceptionally dedicated and caring (thanks, Elena) and we felt being home right from the first minute we entered. There is a good mix of travellers (couples, familie, backpackers) and some privacy is given by the arrangement of the rooms, it is never crowded. There is even a small pool, the breakfast is fresh and tasty. I don't see the point why spending more money for a luxury hotel when you have it all at Caldera Villas, I even doubt there are better views over the Caldera than at this small juwel. We will definitely go back and recommend it further.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 August 2011

We booked a honeymoon suite and had very high expectations after reading so many wonderful reviews. However we were sorely disappointed. Yes, the views are spectacular and the host is great. But the suite we had was at the very bottom of the cliff. It took approximately 58 steps to get from our room to the pool/reception area and another 66 very steep and uneven "stairs" to get to the main street. Ok, we don't really mind the exercise but the 'suite' looked dingy and old. Jacuzzi in the bathroom hadn't been used for a long time, I guess because when we tried it on, there were black residues pumping out from the outlets. After that, we just gave up using the jacuzzi. So we used the shower instead. Water leaked from underneath the tub after showering and the floor was very wet. Not much bathroom toiletries were provided also. The shampoo and shower gel was a "all-in-one" in a pump. Overall, we would advise anyone who is booking the hotel to book the rooms as advertised in their website and be prepared. Most importantly, wear shoes with good grip because we have seen people falling down.

• Stayed August 2011
5 Thank Lady-GeneM
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 9 August 2011

My husband and I hit Santorini on our honeymoon and we were pleased as punch to have stayed here. The staff was fabulous and the views were amazing. They provided breakfast every day which was delicious, and the room was spacious and clean. There was a pool (which was a must) and there were ample loungers for sunbathing. It was also in a great central location in the village which was good for accessing the whole area.
The only negative was that it was down the cliff a few minutes from the main street in Oia, which basically all the hotels are anyway. The steps can be steep and uneven, but we felt that it added to the charm of being in Santorini. It certainly gave us a great workout before heading to the main street for dinner or drinks! It was part of the fun for us, but beware of this (for ANY hotel in Santorini) if you have trouble with the your walking or climbing.

Overall though, you will be happy you chose this hotel if you decide to visit Santorini. Its located in Oia which is the best village to stay in on the island!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank MikeandAshley529
Sydney
Reviewed 3 August 2011

The Caldera Villas are in the most beautiful part of Santorini, Oia (think every picture you've seen of Santorini... it's taken in Oia). The rooms are 'caves', meaning built into the rock. This was exactly what we were looking for, simple white traditional Greek rooms. However this does have some draw backs. As stated by others, there are lots of stairs (make sure you are greeted to take your bags down or up) and they can be rather slippery as they are traditional (meaning older).
We struggled to think if we would recommend these villas, first and foremost the view is stunning, the pool is lovely and Elena and Sam, our hosts were wonderful and very accommodating.
However there are a few things that you need to consider, one plumbing is not to western standards. We could handle tissues in a bin rather than the toilet itself however there was a very strong smell coming from the drains. We found this in two places in Oia so I couldn't tell if it was the location of the fact the same company ran both.
The other issue was the 'honeymoon' villa. There are actually several on the property with two of the being down the very bottom. These rooms are dark and gloomy and other guests have to walk through your 'private' balcony to get to their rooms. There is only one room that looks like the pictures of the honeymoon suit. If you like it, confirm it's the room you'll end up in.... we didn't. We asked to be moved and ended up above the reception in a two bedroom or more likely one bedroom with a lounge (with a double bed in it). I really liked this room, it's view, it's private balcony and it's layout was better than others. I think it was room #3.
So in summary, if something could be done about the drains and the pictures online weren't so misleading (each room is different... take pictures of them all!) I would give this 5/5.

Room Tip: Confirm the picture online is of the room you are booking.
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Wonderlusta
NYC
Reviewed 27 July 2011

Ok. So here is the deal. There are stairs. I booked this a few months ago and thought well the people who have written these reviews are probably not in the best of shape, and can't handle a few stairs. I was wrong, my apologies. There are about 65 steps to get to the hotel. However, they are big (so you have like two steps in between them) and they are not in good condition. Meaning, they are slippery (really have worn down from so much wear) they are jagged, there is nothing to hold on to when going down. At night I found myself wearing my most safe shoes, rather than my fashionable ones just so I wouldn't fall in the dark. However, once you get past the stairs, it is worth it. The view, the most incredible view I have ever seen, and that is saying a lot from the places I've been. The cave houses are not the best for people who are 6ft and over (myself and my boyf), however, we made do for our three nights. You should stay in Oia, I think better than Fira. And cmon, you won't be in the room too much, most time will be spent out and about, or just staring at the view for hours and hours (with wine, of course).

Room Tip: You might need to hunch over to get your hair wet in the shower
  • Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple