“great honeymoon” 5 of 5 bubbles

Atrina Canava 1894
Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Oia
“great honeymoon”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2009

The view is worth the price of the hotel room alone, plus the service is exceptional. My husband and I went for our honeymoon, and stayed in the Senior Suite. The hotel is family owned, by four sisters, and because of this the experience was exceptional.

We didn't have an adapter for our digital camera, and no one sold it on the island. They went above and beyond to locate one for us, from one of their friends, without which, we would've been without pictures for the entire trip. Any questions we had were promptly answered, as they provide you with a cell phone, so between 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. you can call them directly on their cell.

The only other thing I'd like to mention is it's rustic decor, so if you enjoy long baths, this isn't the place for you. Because the showers weren't very comfortable, but it's understandable because you're staying on an island in a traditional place.

I would definitely recommend this place to everyone, and I would definitely go again. =) Thanks guys for the wonderful service, we had a lovely honeymoon.

P.S. I loved the loofahs!

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DSSaluja

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (134)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Stamford, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 October 2009

Had a delightful experience at Atrina. The apartments (little houses with kitchen, living room and bedroom) were all different. We stayed at Tholos, close to the top and therefore not a lot of steps to be navigated. Tholos along with the other houses at the upper level had the best view! They looked down on the rest of white washed houses of Atrina as well as the other apartments and resorts lower down that had many, many more steps to be climbed. The staff couldn't have been nicer and were always trying to please. The breakfast of fruit, Greek yogurt, pastries, fresh orange juice and choice of coffee or tea kept us satisfied until diner! We did however hold onto the pastry basket in case there was a need to snack during the day. Having a kitchen with a frig was great for keeping cheese, wine and bottled water chilled. The kitchen was actually equipt to cook a meal if that was your thing, but with all the great restaurants close by, why bother. There were mini markets a couple of hundred feet in either direction for food and wine shopping. Sometime, life is good. Atrina is good.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GWHconnecticut
Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 October 2009

We spent 5 days in Oia at the end of August '09. I booked Atrina, based on the good tripadvisor reviews and was a bit nervous because I went with my girlfriend who is Swiss and rather well traveled, so her expectations are high.
I can honestly say we were both extremely happy with Atrina.

The hotel is a family run operation and the owners and staff put their heart into it. The service was friendly, welcoming and helpful.

We stayed in a Junior Suite one night, then moved to the Studio for the rest of our stay (we agreed it in advance to save us staying in a more expensive suite for our lastminute trip).
The accommodations were wonderful, traditional houses tastefully restored to a high standard. The furniture was all high quality and comfortable, the equipment (TV, HiFi, AC) worked fine, bathrooms were simple but comfortable and never ran out of hot water. Rooms were spacious, well maintained, and very clean. Rooms were cleaned daily and new towels supplied (including large ones for the beach/pool). I could have done with a softer mattress but I'm a bit spoiled that way. Certainly it was not a problem. WiFi was spotty but the owner was taking it seriously and technicians were installing booster antennas on the days we were there.

Each room has its own balcony though in some cases people need to walk in front of it to get to their room. This is common in Oia (no way to fully isolate the tightly packed houses), so if privacy is hugely important to you, ask for one of the rooms at the outer ends of the hotel where practically no-one will see you. We were never bothered by our neighbours nor felt we lacked privacy. We are not swimming pool people so didn’t use it, but I noted it was on of the largest in Oia (space is scarce so most pools are very small).

Breakfast was served in our balcony (10 mins after ordering), and was very satisfying. You get fresh orange juice, croissants, buns & pastries, fresh fruit, coffee or tea, Greek yogurt, plus honey and marmalades. Everything was fresh and good quality. The person serving was friendly and attentive. I also used the room service to order iced cappuccinos in the afternoon and found it quick and inexpensive.

I won't spend time describing the view, since everyone else seems to concentrate only on that;-) I'll just say that Atrina, has spectacular views of the caldera from every room. The location is worth mentioning, as it is at the beginning of Oia, not far from the road, and without too many steps. Staff carried our bags anyway, but it was still extra convenient for exploring in every direction.
The top rooms are just below street level (no problems with noise, since cars are not allowed in Oia) and the lowest ones 3 levels down. Very easy to get to, and an good place from which to explore. I saw some other places that I almost booked and thank my lucky stars I didn't. A lot of popular places were in some very inaccessible locations, sometimes 50 or more steps down some very uncomfortable walkways. We were happy to walk through these in mornings when we were exploring Oia, but trying it at midnight after dinner and lots of wine is not my idea of fun.

The owners are pleasant people, and will helpfully arrange tours, or recommend restaurants and sights. Be careful if you’re on a budget because most places in Oia are on the pricey side and the quality can vary quite a bit. In fact the same applies to hotels so it’s best to set your expectations. Hotels in Oia seem to fall in two broad categories: “luxurious and very expensive” and “traditional (less pricey) but very basic”. The first category seems to over promise – I don’t see how you can possibly offer luxury or even 5 star services in Oia. It’s just not made for it, as you need purpose built facilities which is a no-no in a regulated settlement like this. I suspect if I had booked in one of those I would have been disappointed, especially given the exorbitant prices.
On the other hand the “traditional” places are often too basic and just trade on the view, offering barebones service and quality. If you expect nothing and just go for the adventure, you may be happy but I wouldn’t like it. I don’t expect plush in a place like Oia, but I place a high value on cleanliness, comfort, pleasant surroundings and friendly service. I felt Atrina managed the perfect balance and offers that ”just right” level of service.
All in all, I can sum it up by saying we are already planning another visit next year!

5 Thank dkazaz
Stratford CT
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 October 2009

We just arrived yesterday at gorgeous Atrina Houses. I knew Santorini was lovely, even knew Oia was breathtaking... but I cannot put into words how stunning, warm and inviting this place (Atrina) and its staff are! The previous negative review should be stricken from Trip Advisor! We are in Atrina's "Tholos House" and are relishing every beautiful and comfortable second! While there are many choices in Oia, I cannot imagine being happier than we are here. Melanie, Mina, Athina and Nikos have been friendly, funny, accommodating and lovely. (They even understood and could immediately accommodate my desperate need for wireless internet!) Will take more pix and post by trip's end-- but wanted to dis that nasty last review in case it put someone off of visiting here. (PS: we have only been here one day and have already been supplied with fresh towels!) This place gets a A+++ in our book-- wish scores could go higher than 5!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank KGHTravel
new york
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 September 2009

We stayed at Atrina for our honeymoon in August...we chose this hotel based on the great reviews..to be honest, it was just ok...first of all, the staff is not that friendly...maybe im just used to american service, but for the amount of $ they charge i expect them to be at least pleasant. Melanie was on the border of being plain rude. She definitely acted like everything she did for us was a huge favor. Our room (Melanies suite) was nice, with a great private patio..however the bathroom would flood every time we showered (there is no glass or shower curtain or even a ledge to separate shower from the rest of the bathroom), and the whole room would smell moldy if we didn’t keep the windows open at all times. The towels/toiletries supposedly get changed once every 3 days (but we stayed for 5 days and had to call them to get anything done) The breakfast - although nice, is exactly the same every day. Plus, there's no front desk or pool bar or any kind of services. You're given a cell phone to call if you need something, but the staff is always at home and you feel like you're disturbing them. To sum it up, I don’t think this place is worth the $, there were plenty of nicer hotels w/ better service from what I hear from friends who stayed there.

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
5 Thank youngtraveler25
Lahti, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2009

We stayead at wonderful Atrina for one week last august.We have a lovely cava Minas house.I think we have the best patio at Arinas.Atrinas is so charming,beatyful and peaceful place.The breakfast each morning was amacing,so big!The owners are so frendly and Nikos is the best,always smailing!!!The wiew was breahtaking!Every morning,when we wake up and see the wiew,WAU!! And then comes Nikos whith breakfast,what a life!Room,patio and pool was great and location too. OIa is so beatyful and charming.best village at Santorini.Like Atrinas!We have fantastic week at Atrinas:I miss Minas house and Oia...And callery Oria too...

2 Thank Kottis
Mason, Ohio
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 September 2009

My friends and I just returned from a wonderful week at Atrina in Oia. For some background, we are 5 women in our early 30's who spent 6 nights at Atrina and 2 in Athens. We stayed in the Cavana 1894 house. The hotel had a great location and wonderful service from all of the staff. the pool and view is breathtaking.

There are many positive reviews on this site, so i will try to add things that have not been mentioned yet to help plan any upcoming trips:

- As stated above, we stayed in the 1894 house which holds 5 people. The apartment was large enough for 5 to sleep comfortably; 2 in each room and 1 on a futon in the main room. The apartment had a large private balcony where we had a wonderful breakfast every morning.

- Cavana 1894 does not have full walls/doors that separate the bedrooms from the main room. Sound echos throughout the apt. So if you are parents who want to bring your kids along to stay in the second room and want some 'alone time', your kids will get a bit of an education ;).

- Not all balconies are created equal: because all rooms are built vertically into the cliff wall, some balcony's are walkways to other rooms. Our room had a private one, but from what i saw it did not look like it would be bothersome to have one that was not 100% private. In fact, you would get to meet many neighbors that way.

- Wireless internet can be found sporadically throughout the property, but from our room we were unable to access the signal. To access the internet we would go up to reception. To be honest, this was almost a blessing as it helped us from being 'connected' all the time, but if you are the type that needs the internet all the time be sure to ask for a room with a strong signal. Plus, internet was free! Hard to complain about that!

-The breakfast was awesome and very filling; we fell into a pattern where we would only eat two meals a day. Atrina allowed us to keep the extra pastries to snack on throughout the day.

-Regarding Santorini: we stayed on the island for 6 days. I would encourage any individual contemplating a trip to Santorini to take note of their "vacation style". If you like to sit on a beach/pool/relax/take things slow, 6 days should be about right. If you like a more active vacation, i would recommend staying 2-3 days on santorini and combining with another island. Personally i like an active vacation and can't really sit on a beach and found there was not enough to do to keep me occupied. But my friends in the group who like a slower pace thought the length was perfect. I would recommend renting an ATV/moped to tour the island, the hike to imerovigli, and a sunset cruise. The staff at Atrina can help arrange all of these activities.

- Regarding the staff; they were wonderful. They made recommendations, helped us with whatever we needed, and really go out of their way to make their guests feel at home.

In short, it was a fantastic week in a great location. I have already recommended Atrina to several friends who have been interested in Santorini.

Opa!