“Great option in Oia”

Ranked #3 of 55 Hotels in Oia
NYC, NY
“Great option in Oia”
Reviewed 10 April 2010

We stayed at the Atrina last August for a few days and had a terrific time. The location of the hotel could hardly be better. Easy walking distance into Oia, indeed you are right there. For us, Oia was the best location in Santorini. Especially at night it is just magical.

The views from Atrina are also superb. Looking out at the caldera is hypnotic. You can just stare, and look, and lose yourself. As has been said before, there are few other views like it in the world. If you are thinking about whether a visit to Santorini is worth it -- just go.

The room we had was large, with two bedrooms. High ceiling, built into the mountain. Bright. It was relatively well cared for but, in a few spots there was some obvious wear and tear and a few things could have been better cared for. The beds were comfortable, the room never hot.

Breakfast was served on the large patio, with a beautiful view. Big shade umbrella if you wanted to open it. Huge basket of fresh breads/muffins, huge plate of delicious yogurt and honey, excellent juice and coffee. Bkfst like that was terrific. The pool is small yet, it was certainly large enough to cool off and, even in August, the pool area was not crowded. Staff at the hotel was very nice, on the ball, efficient.

If there is one place the hotel could use some improvement was at the front desk, so to speak. While Atrina is a hotel, it doesn't really have all the services of a hotel, it is much more of a boutique. You need to be more independent as a guest. That is fine. Yet, in that situation we thought the owner should be more informative, welcoming. While she was happy to greet guests, there simply wasn't the "welcome" we expected or the willingness to offer suggestions, ideas, etc. We got the feeling that while we were welcomed, the owner would be just as happy if we weren't there. That might sound a bit negative, it shouldn't be read that way. Yet, some improvement would be helpful. Also, all hotels in Oia in August are expensive, including Atrina. With all its good points, its location, rooms, etc., it is still likely one of your best options.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 23 December 2009

My husband and I stayed here for several days in May and like most people posting reviews, decided on Atrina based on TripAdvisor reviews. Even before we got to the hotel, we were greeted with such service- due to some construction on the southern part of Oia, our taxi was stuck in traffic when one of the staff walked out to meet us and carry our luggage without any prompting from us! The cave houses are private, clean and unique. Each house has a private balcony with a beautiful view and breakfast is served every morning with fresh fruit, a variety of baked goods, freshly squeezed OJ and coffee. We even enjoyed listening to the collection of CDs in the cava acoustics so much that we bought one of them when we found it in a local marketplace.
The staff were so helpful and even volunteered to drive us to and from the dock when we took a boat out to the center of the caldera (hot springs) and when we were leaving the island! Such great service! If you're traveling to Santorini you must stay in Oia (much more quiet and less touristy than the other major towns) and if you stay in Oia, you must stay at Atrina!!!

• Stayed May 2007, travelled as a couple
1 Thank CamVon
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed 19 November 2009

My husband and I stayed for a week in September, 2009. We stayed in the Tholos room, which was enormous, clean, bright, and lovely. The staff was top notch, very very excellent service. We would have prefered having a balcony that was not on the main walkway down to the pool but this was not a deal breaker. All rooms have the same spectacular views overlooking the ocean. The breakfast was excellent. We would recommend staying at this hotel. We were so glad we stayed in Oia, we had time to visit the entire island during our week there.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CalifGirlie
Alexandria, VA
Reviewed 19 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at Atrina Traditional Houses as part of our honeymoon. The experience was absolutely perfect. Our accommodations were amazing. Each room has its own patio with table and chairs in addition to two lounge chairs. Service was amazing. Each morning breakfast was brought to our house and it was delicious! I can not recommend this hotel enough. The family that owns and runs it, are so sweet and they make you feel right at home. Not to mention the location, which is also perfect. It is beyond 5 stars!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank carebear72679
Reviewed 16 October 2009

The view is worth the price of the hotel room alone, plus the service is exceptional. My husband and I went for our honeymoon, and stayed in the Senior Suite. The hotel is family owned, by four sisters, and because of this the experience was exceptional.

We didn't have an adapter for our digital camera, and no one sold it on the island. They went above and beyond to locate one for us, from one of their friends, without which, we would've been without pictures for the entire trip. Any questions we had were promptly answered, as they provide you with a cell phone, so between 9 a.m. to 9 p.m. you can call them directly on their cell.

The only other thing I'd like to mention is it's rustic decor, so if you enjoy long baths, this isn't the place for you. Because the showers weren't very comfortable, but it's understandable because you're staying on an island in a traditional place.

I would definitely recommend this place to everyone, and I would definitely go again. =) Thanks guys for the wonderful service, we had a lovely honeymoon.

P.S. I loved the loofahs!

Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank DSSaluja
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 5 October 2009

Had a delightful experience at Atrina. The apartments (little houses with kitchen, living room and bedroom) were all different. We stayed at Tholos, close to the top and therefore not a lot of steps to be navigated. Tholos along with the other houses at the upper level had the best view! They looked down on the rest of white washed houses of Atrina as well as the other apartments and resorts lower down that had many, many more steps to be climbed. The staff couldn't have been nicer and were always trying to please. The breakfast of fruit, Greek yogurt, pastries, fresh orange juice and choice of coffee or tea kept us satisfied until diner! We did however hold onto the pastry basket in case there was a need to snack during the day. Having a kitchen with a frig was great for keeping cheese, wine and bottled water chilled. The kitchen was actually equipt to cook a meal if that was your thing, but with all the great restaurants close by, why bother. There were mini markets a couple of hundred feet in either direction for food and wine shopping. Sometime, life is good. Atrina is good.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank GWHconnecticut
Athens
Reviewed 2 October 2009

We spent 5 days in Oia at the end of August '09. I booked Atrina, based on the good tripadvisor reviews and was a bit nervous because I went with my girlfriend who is Swiss and rather well traveled, so her expectations are high.
I can honestly say we were both extremely happy with Atrina.

The hotel is a family run operation and the owners and staff put their heart into it. The service was friendly, welcoming and helpful.

We stayed in a Junior Suite one night, then moved to the Studio for the rest of our stay (we agreed it in advance to save us staying in a more expensive suite for our lastminute trip).
The accommodations were wonderful, traditional houses tastefully restored to a high standard. The furniture was all high quality and comfortable, the equipment (TV, HiFi, AC) worked fine, bathrooms were simple but comfortable and never ran out of hot water. Rooms were spacious, well maintained, and very clean. Rooms were cleaned daily and new towels supplied (including large ones for the beach/pool). I could have done with a softer mattress but I'm a bit spoiled that way. Certainly it was not a problem. WiFi was spotty but the owner was taking it seriously and technicians were installing booster antennas on the days we were there.

Each room has its own balcony though in some cases people need to walk in front of it to get to their room. This is common in Oia (no way to fully isolate the tightly packed houses), so if privacy is hugely important to you, ask for one of the rooms at the outer ends of the hotel where practically no-one will see you. We were never bothered by our neighbours nor felt we lacked privacy. We are not swimming pool people so didn’t use it, but I noted it was on of the largest in Oia (space is scarce so most pools are very small).

Breakfast was served in our balcony (10 mins after ordering), and was very satisfying. You get fresh orange juice, croissants, buns & pastries, fresh fruit, coffee or tea, Greek yogurt, plus honey and marmalades. Everything was fresh and good quality. The person serving was friendly and attentive. I also used the room service to order iced cappuccinos in the afternoon and found it quick and inexpensive.

I won't spend time describing the view, since everyone else seems to concentrate only on that;-) I'll just say that Atrina, has spectacular views of the caldera from every room. The location is worth mentioning, as it is at the beginning of Oia, not far from the road, and without too many steps. Staff carried our bags anyway, but it was still extra convenient for exploring in every direction.
The top rooms are just below street level (no problems with noise, since cars are not allowed in Oia) and the lowest ones 3 levels down. Very easy to get to, and an good place from which to explore. I saw some other places that I almost booked and thank my lucky stars I didn't. A lot of popular places were in some very inaccessible locations, sometimes 50 or more steps down some very uncomfortable walkways. We were happy to walk through these in mornings when we were exploring Oia, but trying it at midnight after dinner and lots of wine is not my idea of fun.

The owners are pleasant people, and will helpfully arrange tours, or recommend restaurants and sights. Be careful if you’re on a budget because most places in Oia are on the pricey side and the quality can vary quite a bit. In fact the same applies to hotels so it’s best to set your expectations. Hotels in Oia seem to fall in two broad categories: “luxurious and very expensive” and “traditional (less pricey) but very basic”. The first category seems to over promise – I don’t see how you can possibly offer luxury or even 5 star services in Oia. It’s just not made for it, as you need purpose built facilities which is a no-no in a regulated settlement like this. I suspect if I had booked in one of those I would have been disappointed, especially given the exorbitant prices.
On the other hand the “traditional” places are often too basic and just trade on the view, offering barebones service and quality. If you expect nothing and just go for the adventure, you may be happy but I wouldn’t like it. I don’t expect plush in a place like Oia, but I place a high value on cleanliness, comfort, pleasant surroundings and friendly service. I felt Atrina managed the perfect balance and offers that ”just right” level of service.
All in all, I can sum it up by saying we are already planning another visit next year!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple