“Similar experience to others, some new information”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Olympic Villas

Olympic Villas
Ranked #34 of 54 Hotels in Oia
New York City, New York
“Similar experience to others, some new information”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 September 2013

We stayed here for our honeymoon. 5 nights, all in a cavehouse. All told, we would look for alternatives next time... but if none were in the same price bracket we would stay here again. We worked around the shortcomings we knew about ahead of time, and weren't looking for much other than a room to sleep in.

Quick version:
-Mgmt is non existant
-Cleaning ladies are nice and happy
-Cave houses are cozy but minimal amenities.
-Pool is crowded, towels provided.
-Can't speak for food, didn't look good enough to bother trying it or the breakfast.
-No free Wifi/TV. Use the lobby PC to do your research for free, or the Rimida Wifi out in the corner of the patio.
-A rude rulebook in each room that's good for a laugh.
-Lower price than most other places, but still usual Santorini markups
-Manageable but somewhat treacherous walk to town.

Front desk guy is only a hair above totally useless. If he isn't there, the parents basically don't speak any English and are grumpy about having anything asked of them. They were very upset when I simply asked them to call a cab for us. They cannot recommend places to go, activities to do, restaurants to eat at, nor provide any additional information other than what they provide in their huge binder they leave in each room. This binder is basically a huge collection of rules and things not to do to/in their rooms, and isn't worded to try and disguise this purpose.

The cave houses are nice, but remember you are living in a cave. Some of the ceiling are low (doorways) and you will bang your head if you don't duck (I am 6' tall) You must turn the water heater switch on 30 mins ahead of time to take a hot shower, and it comes out HOT. Beds were pretty bad, but better than our stay in Crete which were like slabs of stone. Maybe Greeks like super stiff mattresses.

Kitchenette was nice. We used the cook plate to heat up water for coffee, and even made pasta one night it was nasty out. Ours had a washing brush for dishes, but of course no dish soap. Did have a few dishes and silverware which was enough for our uses.

Shower had a handheld faucet that had to be held at all times, and had very finicky heat control. Hard to prevent it from being scalding hot. No soap/shampoo was provided, only a small hand soap pump at the sink.

There we a few light fixtures and lamps around, and a few empty sockets. Obviously no tv, but there was Air conditioning which wasn't expected. Our cave wasn't hot at night, but we had it on low to mask any outside sounds. Those sounds were minimal and only rarely could we hear someone's suitcase clacking along on the cobblestone path above.

The view was spectacular for us, and we ate breakfasts on our patio every morning in the blistering sunshine. At that time of day you must be creative to get shade from the provided umbrella, but it's doable. The lounge chairs outside the cave houses are wooden and we never considered sun bathing on them.

The pool was nice, although pretty crowded most days. I wasn't expecting people to come to Santorini to sit by a pool, but there wasn't all that much to do besides that if you stayed for 4-5 days like we did. It was very windy one of the days and the front desk guy came and took all the umbrellas away very rudely and without any explanation. It was clear to us what was happening, but others were clearly clueless and very upset. No explanation or other suggestions were given other than his trademark shoulder shrug of uselessness. Get used to it, it's almost comical.

Also, Wifi is like 3Euro for 30 mins, or 5 euro for a day. What a scam. If you can find your way to the corner of the pool area near the Rimida villas side you can sometimes jump on their open wifi. OR, you could use the username Olympic, and password Villas, to sign into their pay service and get on the house account. I overhead him telling one of the guests this information at one point, but clearly they weren't making it public knowledge. I don't mind sticking it to them a little.

Expect nothing from the front desk guy, and then continue on to consider this hotel. Here are some tips to help you do this. You can apparently make reservations for taxi's at busy times. I don't know how well this works, but they looked at me like I was crazy when I didn't have one. After all their scoffing the cab was there in under 5 minutes. \

If you are on this site you shouldn't need the staff to know where to go and what to do. I recommend Skala as a good dinner spot and not to pricey/fancy. Skiza was a cool smaller shop that we got some good greek pizza.

The walk to town is pretty short, but treacherous for a stretch of about 50meters. You must share the road with the cars/buses trying to squeeze past each other. Be very careful at night and you will be okay. It's not a long walk to the town, 5-10 minutes to the fringe, 25 to get all the way to the sunset viewing area. Get their much earlier, as they buses come and dump tons of people to watch it and you won't have much chance. There is a lot more room to stand and watch it, I recommend you check the area out ahead of time so you aren't fooled by the people crowding the one visible corner if you arrive late.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank IW1234

Solo
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

I booked this hotel basically because of the price, but I had read the reviews and I was ready for everything. We arrived at around 9pm and we did inform the staff. As we struggled with the suitcases to climb up the couple of stairs to get to reception the owners looked at us totally numbed. They were very serious but luckily the lady was there with a nice bottle of water for us and showed us to our room but we needed to carry the suitcases and.... it is not easy in Oia. The room 134 (as I expected as we were probably the last ones to arrive) was tiny, claustrophobic, hot as hell... Beware tall people... My boyfriend banged his head I dont know how many times. But Oia is so nice that we just wanted to go and have dinner somewhere. As we asked for a map of Santorini they laughed at our faces "a map? there is only one road!!!" Luckly when in Fira we got one. If you are a girly girl, forget about it, hardly any plugs and these ones are nowhere near a mirror, any way if you wanted to use a hairdryer or straightners you will probably melt trying. The same goes for the "kitchenette" Do they really think I could cook there? It was already around 30 degrees in that room. The second day I was fed up after I saw a room being made by the cleaners and checked that it was at least three times bigger than ours. I told them and they changed us!!!! Well, they changed us... they gave me the key and I changed all our stuff. They also claimed the torch back (you might need a torch it is handy as at nigh is very dark and there are frequent power cuts in Oia) like if I was going to keep it.
Leaving the room aside, the views are absolutely breathtaking and the cava rooms area is clean and nice. They also have two pools, one with very nice with sea views. Notice that there is no free wifi and no tv or cd player or nothing, breakfast is not included,but of course, what do you expect for 125 euros.... ?????These days I thought wifi and tv is a given, but apparently here is not.
Also to bear in mind is that to get into Oia which is really a few minutes you also have to walk on the road for around 4 minutes and there is no walk side and at night is pretty scary (hence the torch).
The rooms were supposed to be cleaned every day but you need to free the room by 13.00. Well, at around 10am we were always asked if we wanted the room done, of course I want... I told them once that we would leave in 10 minutes (that was 10:40). When we came back the room was not done, we reported it to reception and the owner did not bat an eyelid
If I ever go again to Oia I will not stay here, yes, it is cheap but the patronizing owner and the hot dated room did not do it for me. If you can live with this then yes, I recommend it.

Room Tip: They have apartments next to the pool and the cava rooms. The cava rooms have amazing views and you...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 August 2013

We stayed 5 nights in the hotel and had a great time. The hotel is located a little bit outside of the main center of Oia, which can be reached easily from a walking path from behind the hotel.
The owners are very friendly and will go out if their way to make your stay enjoyable.
Breakfast is simple but well stocked.
Fira is easily reachable by bus from the center of Oia, and the beach, Baxedes, is around 30 minutes away walking from the hotel door.
Overall a very nice place to stay

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank cavelas
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 July 2013

The location of the hotel is great (walking distance from the village center, stunning view...). We stayed in the "cave" apartment which are much better than staying of the building (i.e at least you have privacy: private outdoor table for meals and sun beds).

The room was clean but the furniture is very old fashion, the room quite dark and the bathroom SO tiny!

It is clearly over priced but it seems to be a general trend in Oia!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank PdLG
Thornton, Colorado
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2013

My wife and I booked through expedia about 2 weeks prior and were impressed that we got a great room that was the closest to the sea view. Firstly, I would highly recommend this hotel. There is a much needed pool, the view is wonderful and the location is just right. The only small caveat is that I didn't understand that it was a short walk in the heat from the last stop (oia central area) to the Olympic Villas. Make sure to tell the bus drive where you are staying and/or ask to stop at the stop near the place (right across the street from a car/scooter rental...sorry cannot remember name). We appreciated not being directly in Oia town with the packed streets and loud tourist vibe. The distance to the hotel was perfect after a nice meal in Oia. I would say it is about a 10 minute easy walk to and from town. Don't let this discourage you though. You will see many people and many nice hotels also in the area. Also, the area where you are offers an excellent view of Oia town. Many just walk to the area to take the excellent photos of the town. The view from the hotel is superb. There are lounge chairs and a nice sized pool for much needed leisure time and rest. The rooms are a little rustic, but charming and have all that one needs including dishes, cookery and a frig and burner. The place offers breakfast, but at 7 euro I would recommend cooking or just getting some fresh pastries every morning. The cleaning ladies were friendly and the lady with hotel mgmt was quite nice. She greeted us when we came with cold juice and had a smile. The man working the front counter needed some help with being friendly and accommodating. My wife asked him about bus schedules and he laughed at her...saying we not bus station go to bus and ask. The frustrating thing was that later we discovered the bus stop with a full bus schedule was only about 10 meters from his hotel. A little goes along way and I wish he would have been a little bit more accommodating and friendly. He never smiled once and didn't appear to be happy. It made for unpleasant interactions when he was around. Aside from him the place is great. Keep in mind that the reception has a book share selection and also sells wine. yamas and happy travels.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Isle of Mull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2013

Was visiting for a two day workshop for EU islands in the community hall along the street and stayed an extra day. Owners very friendly, room different but very comfortable, clean and quiet with spectacular views. Breakfast was in the reception area and was plentiful and tasty with bread, cereals, ham and cheese, yogurt, fruit and boiled egg, or any combination. The apartment was originally a 'traditional home' which meant it, along with many others, were perched at the top of a very steep cliff and dug into the rock. Very close to shops, restaurants and bus stop just outside the main door. WiFi broken in the rooms but could use it at reception no problem. Oia itself was just opening up for the beginning of the season, but already it was busy with tourists, mostly it seemed, from China and the far east. You do need to be fairly mobile though, as there are many uneven steps and steep paths throughout the area. Loved it!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
YONKERS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 February 2013

About a 5 minute walk into OIA town. But that didnt even matter because the view from the walkway was incredible and surreal. The cave house was so cute and the view from our private balcony was like something you see in the movies! The pool area is also lovely and the view is crazy! The view is really excellent from everywhere. And just as nice as hotels closer to town but at a way more reasonable price because its a few minutes walk. WELL WORTH IT!!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple