“Fantastic View - Great Place”

Golden Sunset Villas
Ranked #28 of 56 Hotels in Oia
San Diego, California
“Fantastic View - Great Place”
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I actually just left Santorini and am in Mykonos right now so I am giving you a very fresh review .

Paid: 608 euros which was around $780 dollars for 4 nights.
1. Included breakfast which consisted of: cereal, greek yogurt, fruit, croissant, marble cake, rolls, ham, cheese, juice (average breakfast but similiar to other European breakfasts). They will also make any type of coffee which was actually a plus. Greek coffee is not my favorite :)

2. We had a bedroom that was connected to a small living area which had a tv, small kitchenette with a fridge, couch, dining table and some chairs.

3. We also had a balcony with three chairs, a table and umbrella.

4. Would I stay there again, yes, butI have only been to Santorini once so I can't compare this to another stay.

5. Parking was free and pretty close. Definitely rent-a-car while you are there.

Pros
1. By far, the best view ever...hands down. Worth every penny we paid. People who say the sunset is over-rated is very wrong. It is magnificient. I could see the caldera as well but I think the sunset rocks and it was fun waiting for it and feeling pretty lucky that we had chairs and other people were crowded together trying to grab a glimpse. Since there was a kitchen, I made some cofee while my husband drank a Mythos. Absolutely wonderful.

2. Great staff, George and Hodgey (I know I am not spelling this incorrectly. Gave us great recommendations and brought our breakfast to us.

3. It is on the very edge of Oia, so it was very quiet and only a couple of minutes to the touristy area.

4. Gave us free bottles of water during breakfast.

5. I liked how it had a separate living area.

Needs Improvement
1. As mentioned in other reviews, the towels should be replaced.

2. The bed is hard.

3. The inside furnishings are dated.

4. Internet was free but a little tricky. Could never get my laptop to connect but ipad and iphone worked ok (intermittently) as long as I was outside or by the breakfast.

5. The room has a damp smell but I think that would be the same in any type of cave house, so it really is not a needs improvement but something I wanted to share.

Room Tip: The windmill room would be great for 3 or more people. Almost like having your own house and outside...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Liberty817

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (42)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
PJ
Reviewed 20 September 2011

We searched long and hard for the perfect hotel with the perfect setting in Oia. Folks, this is it. The windmill on this property is THE windmill which one sees and associates in all the postcards of Santorini. If you stay at GSV, you will get an authentic taste of staying in a cave house, quintessential Greek breakfast (wonderful greek yoghurt, cheese, ham, bread fruit and fresh coffee/tea as you like it) served to you on your very own private terrace overlooking the Caldera, the very same terrace from which you will be enjoying a totally unobstructed view of the sunset. The hotel is located at the tip of Oia so consider GSV the Royal Box for Oia sunset viewing. Since the hotel grounds is private, you will find most Oia visitors crowding just at the property gate/fence trying to get that view for which you will have the very best seats. The daily sunsets experienced from GSV were truly beautiful and mesmerising and made all the more special when it is just at the very doorstep of your hotel accommodation. There were other hotels with other luxuries on offer, but none that could beat the almost secluded sunset experience offered by GSV. This was truly a dream come true for me, thank you team at GSV for your wonderful hospitality and hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank emma_ps_lim
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 17 September 2011

Being able to enjoy the Oia sunset from the private balcony of our room made it the best experience we had while staying on the island. We had a great time while staying at the hotel and everyone at the hotel was very pleasant and helpful. Our only "complaints" would be that the bathroom towels and the shower curtain seriously need to be updated, and the toilet seat cover that kept falling down on you was also a real pain.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank snowyyz
Cincinnati, Ohio
Reviewed 25 July 2011

My daughter and I recently stayed at the Golden Sunset Villas and it was wonderful. The owner and all the staff were incredibly nice and service oriented. The rooms were very clean and air conditioned. It is truly the best place to view the amazing sunsets! It is walking distance to everything in Oai, but just far enough to be away from the middle of town where it can get more crowded and noisy. There is access to a nearby pool that also has amazing views of the water. We would definitely go back.

1 Thank marilynmegan
Delray Beach, Florida
Reviewed 30 June 2011

We stayed in the windmill and could not believe our eyes when we saw the view from there. It was amazing to put it mildly. The windmill itself was not luxourious but when you stepped outside on to the patio that completely surrounds it - WOW! We had a perfect view of the sunset and this huge patio all to ourselves. We had 2 children, ages 7 & 9 with us, and I wished the stairs in the windmill had railing on both sides but the kids were thrilled to be there. The location could not be beat - right next to all the restaurants. The staff was incredibly nice - I would highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: The windmill has a HUGE patio with sunset views
1 Thank 1Delraylocal
Paradise Island, New Providence Island
Reviewed 9 June 2011

Listen, hundred of daily Oia-sunset visitors cannot have it wrong : this is the BEST place on the whole island especially when it comes to relaxation ! Kyriakos (hotel owner) is around since '90s. He is very kind and helpful person. I've been to this island many times and stayed in this hotel few. Each one of my experiencies was excellent. And remember: the mill (former bar and currently room to rent) you see there is one of the most famous mill on earth !

Room Tip: The mill itself
Reviewed 22 April 2011

The couple who own and manage the hotel really love their job.
A small hotel which you can be treated like you were in a family house. Take advantage of the tips from them to explore the island, some hidden restaurants are specular!

• Stayed May 2010