“Great experience”

Ranked #39 of 56 Hotels in Oia
spain
“Great experience”
Reviewed 23 December 2008

I travel for a living and spend a lot of time in hotels. I booked a week-long stay at Residence suites through their website. They arranged pickup at the chaotic Santorini airport and welcomed us earlier than normal checkin time. The hotel is supremely clean, the rooms very very comfortable, and the location is perfect!! But what really stands out is the staff.People at the front desk- Such a helpful staff. From retrieving documents we printed from the printer, offering scissors and tape to help package some items, carrying our luggage out to the taxi, the staff was always willing to help us, and more importantly, with a smile.First the location. Pretty much anything you would want to do is within a few blocks of the hotel. Local designers, amazing restaurants, a couple of jazz/latin bars are less than five minutes away. No matter where we went in santorini, we always wanted to come back to "our neighborhood" to relax. Getting around oia from the hotel is simple. It's a perfect center location. When you're there, make sure to eat at Lotza, two blocks away.Now to the property itself. It's small so it's always quiet and without the fuss of a major hotel. The jacuzzi area and patio are quiet and almost zen-like. Anytime of day there's someone sitting outside reading, relaxing on the couch, or enjoying an ice tea .The landscaping (caldera amazing views ) outside was beautiful and the room was really nice. We actually really liked the fact that all the main patio/jacuzzi area lights were set on a timer. The hotel truly seems eco-conscious.The hotel serves a buffet style breakfast, with various choices of breads, cereals, fruits, egg ,yogurt etc . It's a nice breakfast to start the day.All in all, I mean this when I say I was sad to leave. The hotel has the feeling of home. Warm, comfortable, and perfectly located. We honestly felt like each time we returned, we were returning to our apartment.I hope to return to santorini in the not too distant future, and will definitely pick the Residence suites again

• Liked — Decor,location , ambience, impeccable service
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled on business
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Birmingham, AL
Reviewed 16 December 2008

My husband and I stayed here at the end of November for our honeymoon and it was the most wonderful place. We had very personal service from Laura, who greeted us when we arrived as well as made us a delicious breakfast every morning. We stayed in the honeymoon suite, which had a comfortable king size bed, a nice kitchenette, and a spacious bathroom even with a shower curtain (which is hard to find these days traveling around Europe!). The most wonderul part of our room was our stunning view of the ocean. It was a dream come true to go to bed there every night and wake up to the sun beaming in the french doors and windows. If our path brings us back to Santorini, I can assure you will be staying at the Residence Suites.

• Liked — The balcony view
  • Disliked — We were there only 4 days
  • Stayed November 2008, travelled as a couple
Albuquerque, NM
Reviewed 30 October 2008

Oai is our favorite place to vacation. Our regular hotel was not available so we were booked into Residence Suites. This will be our new hotel. This was a family trip with my daughter, son-in-law and granddaughter (who is 9). Upon arrival, we went into the lobby where we were warmly greeted by Sophia. She even took the time to shake hands and introduce herself to my granddaughter which really impressed us. We loved our rooms and the view was amazing! Each room had a kitchen that was well furnished--even had a wine opener! Everything was very clean. Breakfast was good. We sat outside and just marveled at the view. The staff is amazing. Both Sophia and Louisa went out of their way to accommodate the guests every need. They were very friendly and helpful. They interacted with the guests which you rarely find at hotels. We found all of the staff to be amazing. We loved sitting in the jacuzzi at night and looking at the stars. I know other people have complained about the stairs, but that's what you find in Oia! Without asking, arrangements were made for help with our luggage upon check in and departure. We tipped the "bellman" one euro per bag--it was well worth it! Internet was available at the Best Western just up the street as was a large pool. We wish we could have stayed longer.

• Liked — View, room, they did our laundry for a very small fee, and of course the staff
  • Disliked — Some of the steps are a little dark at night and cannot be
  • Stayed October 2008, travelled with family
London
Reviewed 6 October 2008

My girlfriend and I stayed in the Residence Suites for a week and we were superbly looked after. A few words of caution - There are lots of steps down to the hotel - but that's Oia for you; and some of the rooms are dug out of the hillside and can be very humid. Anyone suffering from lung conditions - beware.
We found the staff extremely friendly and helpful to the point of phoning around restaurants to book us good tables and even organised the use of a pool at one of the other hotels as the pool here is no more than a plunge pool. I've read elsewhere about the cleanliness of the hot-tub. There were a few occassions where it needed a clean out; this was due to all the residue of people going in without showering off the sunscreen first. But, it was cleaned pretty regularly. We spent a few nights sipping fizz and laying out in the hotub way past midnight, looking up at the stars - fantastic. And the view is just amazing. We could here the music gentley floating down from the cool bar up above as the sun went down.
I was bouncing out every morning for a walk around before the tourists got up - then back for breakfast. Not a feast, but a good enough start to the day.
As for it's proximity to the town of Oia itself. We couldn't fault it. Just far enough out of the way to be relaxing. A short walk (up) to the shops and restaurants. I even followed the path down past the front of the hotel and although a little precarious in places, I found a beautifully secluded area where I could swim totally undisturbed.
On the whole - if you want five star luxury or a 'standard' hotel like you know and love - this ain't it. If you want something different where you can relax and do your own thing - this will do the job nicely.

• Liked — It's location
  • Disliked — Carrying the luggage up and down the steps when we arrived/left
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Andrew L
greece
Reviewed 1 October 2008

My wife and I have just returned from a short 9 day/8 nights stay in Oia where we stayed at the Residence suites. It was a wonderful experience. The entire stay was calm and serene. Our check-in was smooth and everyone we came into contact with was extremely pleasant and helpful. Booked a Junior suite and I got a wonderful a very comfortable suite with a wonderful view of the cliff.. The Size of the room was perfect as well the details ... Housekeeping was great I never saw a piece of paper on the floor and there was always someone cleaning something somewhere. We also found the front desk to be most helpful in recommending and booking restaurants and excursions.The staff exceeded our every expectation. The Breakfast Service at the Reception area was excellent also. A simple omelete takes on a new meaning when it is executed to perfection from Sofia. And you have the benefit of outdoor seating near the jacuzzi. : When I made my reservation , I requested a late check out due to a 19:00 flight. They couldn't accommodate my request at that time and suggested that I reserve an extra night. I declined the option. I asked again on the day I was due to check out and they had already noted my prior request and accommodated me with an 17:00 check out. Good example of doing everything you can think of to please a guest. I highly recommend this hotel.Bottom line, you will not be disappointed with this property!

• Liked — Comfort and cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed 29 September 2008

We booked at this hotel after researching many hotels in Santorini.It looked magnificent on their web site. Upon arrival we had to collect the key and pay at a travel agent. We were taken to our hotel about 100m futher and climbed 256 down to our "luxurious" honeymoon suite.I noticed the hotel name Caldera Villas and enquired about that as we booked Residence Suites, I was then told that Residence have about 100 rooms in Santorini and they have allocated a room in Caldera Villas for us.
Our luxurious honeymoon suite was a dungeon. After 2 days we found another hotel which was the same prize and luxurious as we were supposed to have with Residence. We asked the agent to transfer us there but were told we must stay in Residence group, we asked our money back but had to pay a cancellation fee. We now realise that they use a combination of all their rooms best pictures on the website, which to me is false advertising. The agents were very rude especially Diana. They offered us another room but there was no pool so we declined.

• Liked — The friendly staff at Caldera Villas
  • Disliked — Our room and bathroom were very dissapointing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marlenevs
VIPSUITES, public relations at Residence Suites, responded to this review, 23 October 2008
Thank you for your recent correspondence. Please allow us to draw your attention to some points that you raised.

1. You booked Residence Resorts not as you say Residence Suites, please check your records.
2. Your room type description was as follows: Honeymoon suite, king bed, view, shower, sea, volcano view, balcony or terrace. The room you stayed in matched these requirements exactly.

As a gesture of good will, we refunded the total amount. According to Greek law, we have the right to withhold 50% of the total as a cancellation fee but we have made an exception and refunded the total amount.
belgium
Reviewed 27 September 2008

Spent three nights in the Residence suites . The hotel is very welcoming, quiet and comfortable and is a good choice if you want somewhere where you can take a rest from the crowds and noise of Fira town . Our room was fantastic and well furnished. The hotel is peaceful in that there is no noise from kids running up and down the hallways at night like many of the other hotels. The hotel lobby ,and the pool are reachable through stairs. On the surface, this doesn't seem like a big deal, but wait until you see the lines at our Athens hotel to use an elevator. People were complaining of a ten minute wait just to get onto an elevator. And worse yet, half an hour line to check-in. We waited two minutes to check into the hotel and no wait to check-out. The service everywhere was amazing. The service was professional, but also relaxed and never stuffy. Everyone was always smiling and behaved like they were there for more than collecting a paycheck. The room is very comfortable. The outdoor jacuzzi area is a huge bonus as it is quiet and you can relax. When you are ready to party it is a short walk away, then you can go back to piece and quiet to recover.. . As we told the front desk on check-out, we have now found our new home in Santorini! Thanks for an amazing stay.

• Liked — The tranquility of the hotel
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple