“Great View, Great Location in Oia!”
Review of Residence Suites

Residence Suites
Ranked #42 of 58 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed 18 May 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. After researching and reading a ton of reviews while trying to find a hotel for Oia, we finally decided on the Residence Suites.

Upon our arrival, we paid 30 euros for a transfer that picked us up at the port and drove us to Oia. It was about a 20-30 minute drive and well worth it since it would've been impossible to find the location.

We were dropped off in front of a place called Ecorama which manages some of the hotels in Oia. They were very helpful and friendly. Once we checked in, they walked us to the hotel which was a longer walk but it's within the cliff (hence, why it's a longer walk from the parking lot because there are no cars that can drive within the town of Oia). There are steps and it was about a 10 minute walk. They had to have someone get our luggage for us since it was too big and heavy. Otherwise, you have to carry smaller luggage with you.

The view from the Suites is amazing and definitely worth it for the stay at this location. It's not a luxury hotel by far. It was decent. I would say about a 3-star hotel for Europe. My only complaints are the following:

We had a stain on one of our towels, which was disgusting but was changed by the next morning after we told the reception desk. And the bed was extremely uncomfortable. As soon as you lay down, it would sink in. My husband and I didn't sleep well at all here. The walls are also very thin. We were next to another studio and we could hear them using their restroom sometimes.

The breakfast was decent with an amazing view. There wasn't much of a selection for breakfast but there was bread and yogurt and cereal.

The reception was great and very helpful in telling us where to go and what to do.

Overall, if you are planning to stay in Oia, definitely stay in one of the cliff hotels. I wouldn't recommend this location for a honeymoon because we saw a lot of nicer more luxurious hotels for that but of course the prices for those were astronomical. If you're going for a romantic trip for two then I would recommend the Residence Suites. The value for what you can get in Oia is great.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 May 2009

Great location, in the 'midst of Oia' and 100 metres from sunset alley. Very clean and the room we were in was as though for Hobbits - a cave dug into the rock, whitewashed and with appealing atmosphere. The staff were wonderfully helpful, the breakfast simple but adequate and the views simply stunning. That said, there are a few words of caution. If you have heavy suitcases, the walk and the steps down to the Residence are quite arduous. The photos give an illusion of space but in fact you are cheek by jowl with neighbours and it can be a bit noisy (although it was quiet when we were there). The toilet/bathroom are TINY and the main drawback is the lack of a suitably sized hot water storage tank, so if there are two of you, shower QUICKLY!! The bed was moderately comfortable and the towels slightly sand-paperish. There are Residence cats, which are wonderful, as well as a number of friendly visiting dogs - always happy to dine on tidbits. We were there the last week in April and it afforded relaxation and tranquility and the price was right (although in summer it doubles and then is not, in our opinion, value for money). If you are expecting five star - think again as you are really on your own. Oia is crammed with cruise ship visitors during much of the day, but the early mornings and evenings are wonderful. There was no internet facility.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank MrFredBahrain
Reviewed 6 January 2009

Suzan and John here. Our stay in Oia was only made better by our fab experience at the residence suites. They arranged a car to pick us up at the airport (we paid 30 € for it, but it was worth it). We arrived at the hotel and from the minute we stepped in the door, we felt most welcome.We had a fantastic stay in this charming little boutique hotel.All the front desk staff were most welcoming and friendly, suggesting ideas for trips and meals out.I would like to add my appreciation to Sofia,Louisa and the team on making me feel so at home during my 8 night stay. I was very happy with the cleanliness, style of my suite. The suite was large and extremely attractively decorated with a fantastic view of the caldera . A very good continental breakfast was provided on a pretty terrace with magic views over the cliff.From eating breakfast overlooking the cliff to chilling out with a drink in the evening on your balcony,this hotel offers a unique experience. Location is of great importance and this hotel certainly has that, is beautifully situated in the very center of Oia where is a brilliant selection of restaurants, bars,and all kind of shops nearby.Since returning back home,we have been sharing our experience with all of our friends and family. I've even recommended Residence suites to a client, who ended up taking a detour during her Greece trip to take my advice of staying at Residence. I didn't know this until I received an email from her while she was there thanking me and to also tell me that Sofia says Hi. Hi to you too, Sofia, if you're reading this! Without a doubt, I would send anyone straight to the Residence suites for an unbelievable experience.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 January 2009

We spent a week in Santorini in the middle of September, for a special anniversary and birthday celebration.A truly delightful cosy hotel with beautiful scenery and absolute tranquility. Inside, the hotel is beautifully and elegantly furnished, with many personal touches and everywhere was spotlessly clean. There was a very refined and intimate atmosphere, but it was also very comfortable. We had booked for 7 nights, and we were very pleasantly surprised to be upgraded to a suite after the first two nights - this was a nice touch, and we appreciated it very much. Both rooms were very comfortable and well equipped with magnificent views on the cliff. The smallish bedroom in ( standard studio ) we had at first was very cosy and pleasant, but the suite was much bigger ! The view from our balcony , with the very inviting deck-chairs, is perfect in the evening for a glass of wine, enjoying the sunset.All the staff were always very friendly and unobtrusively helpful. This lovely place certainly lived up to other reviews, and in no way disappointed. We hope to come again and stay longer.

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 December 2008

This place is great!It`s a very cozy and friendly place with an even friendlier hostess named Sofia. She tries to help you with every question you come up with! She is willing to show you all the ins and outs of santorini.
It was Sofias exceptional hospitality that made Residence a truly special place to stay. Clean, decorated beautifully and centrally located to everything and everywhere. It's not sterile like most hotels and she's "The hostess with the mostest".. she will give you the best advice as to what to see and how to get there.During the day,. the outdoor jacuzzi is the perfect place to chill, have a cup of coffee, a cold beer and enjoy the magic view to the volcano.Another enjoyable aspect of staying at Residence suites is the homely feeling of the place. Everybody staying there knows everyone else as the place is so small. I am truly glad to have met and befriended the other guests staying at Residence while I was there.. The suites look exactly as they are portrayed in the hotel's photos.My suite was modern and spotless, spacious, and comfortable.I would recommend that you take the walk to fira from the path on the cliff - I We did it and it was great especially early in the morning,or late in the evening.We also went walking down to amoudi port which was great ( full of fishing restaurants-Katinas restaurant is excellent) Don't hesitate to book this if you're looking for a great deal, unsurpassed hospitality and lots of local recommendations.
Sofia thanks for everything and we`ll keep in contact!! Paola

• Stayed: September 2008
1  Thank paolasur
Reviewed 23 December 2008

I travel for a living and spend a lot of time in hotels. I booked a week-long stay at Residence suites through their website. They arranged pickup at the chaotic Santorini airport and welcomed us earlier than normal checkin time. The hotel is supremely clean, the rooms very very comfortable, and the location is perfect!! But what really stands out is the staff.People at the front desk- Such a helpful staff. From retrieving documents we printed from the printer, offering scissors and tape to help package some items, carrying our luggage out to the taxi, the staff was always willing to help us, and more importantly, with a smile.First the location. Pretty much anything you would want to do is within a few blocks of the hotel. Local designers, amazing restaurants, a couple of jazz/latin bars are less than five minutes away. No matter where we went in santorini, we always wanted to come back to "our neighborhood" to relax. Getting around oia from the hotel is simple. It's a perfect center location. When you're there, make sure to eat at Lotza, two blocks away.Now to the property itself. It's small so it's always quiet and without the fuss of a major hotel. The jacuzzi area and patio are quiet and almost zen-like. Anytime of day there's someone sitting outside reading, relaxing on the couch, or enjoying an ice tea .The landscaping (caldera amazing views ) outside was beautiful and the room was really nice. We actually really liked the fact that all the main patio/jacuzzi area lights were set on a timer. The hotel truly seems eco-conscious.The hotel serves a buffet style breakfast, with various choices of breads, cereals, fruits, egg ,yogurt etc . It's a nice breakfast to start the day.All in all, I mean this when I say I was sad to leave. The hotel has the feeling of home. Warm, comfortable, and perfectly located. We honestly felt like each time we returned, we were returning to our apartment.I hope to return to santorini in the not too distant future, and will definitely pick the Residence suites again

• Stayed: September 2008, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 December 2008

My husband and I stayed here at the end of November for our honeymoon and it was the most wonderful place. We had very personal service from Laura, who greeted us when we arrived as well as made us a delicious breakfast every morning. We stayed in the honeymoon suite, which had a comfortable king size bed, a nice kitchenette, and a spacious bathroom even with a shower curtain (which is hard to find these days traveling around Europe!). The most wonderul part of our room was our stunning view of the ocean. It was a dream come true to go to bed there every night and wake up to the sun beaming in the french doors and windows. If our path brings us back to Santorini, I can assure you will be staying at the Residence Suites.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oia
VIP Suites
Oia's Sunset Apartments
Mill Houses Elegant Suites
Mill Houses Elegant Suites
#5 of 21 in Firostefani

Been to Residence Suites? Share your experiences!