“Better than you can imagine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Residence Suites

Ranked #41 of 54 Hotels in Oia
London
“Better than you can imagine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2009

We stayed here at the beginning of July, having arrived in Santorini with no reservation (bit of a risk in high season). As soon as we got off the bus in Oia we went into the 'tourist information office' of Ecorama in the square (see photos).

We did not have a big budget and asked for something around 100€ per night for 2 nights min. The people in the office were very helpful and offered us a cancellation room at half price. Excellent value, and a room I am sure that they would have had no trouble letting for full rate given the demand for accommodation high season. (We asked around later at a few other places that looked nice near ours and found that we got an excellent rate).

Santorini's streets are pretty, winding pathways, with many steps and inclines. The staff carried our bags for us and showed us the room, which was nothing short of breathtaking.

All the rooms are traditional 'cave houses', with mostly only windows only to the front. This is not a touristy, purpose-built complex so if your tastes are more carpeted luxury and elevator-oriented then forget it. What this 'hotel' is about is classy simplicity, and being as unspoilt as possible. All rooms require footwork to access, that is the beauty of it: steps! The bathroom/wetroom of our room was (as I expect with all) at the back of the 'house'. Don't expect bathrooms with windows, I think they are all dug into the cliff face so not possible! It was spacious. Not claustrophobic at all, but very cute.

We had an original bed consisting of a comfy mattress on a stone base. Plus the room was well-equipped with a kitchenette, aircon, TV and even some books in various languages. The decor was achingly pretty in white and blue, the epitomy of Cyclades style. (I have attached a few photos)

The terrace and jacuzzi pools are beneath the lobby (where breakfast is served), and just smack of great taste and understated luxury. Few people use them, you have privacy and peace & quiet, if you have a few days here I advise you to take a day to indulge in the view from the cool of the pool, looking out over the volcano. The real pleasure of this hotel was to be so close to the 'best bit' of Oia, but to have such a fabulous setting that you are reluctant to leave it for the hustle of town in tourist-rush-hour, and you really don't have to.

Breakfast was lovely, a selection of fruits, salad, omelettes or eggs, fruit juices and coffee. Cakes and yogurt. Couldn't be further from the usual hotel breakfast stodge. No beans, sausages or bacon. This is local produce, natural food and is a flavour of Greece. Take your breakfast onto the terrace and watch the yachts sail silently by beneath you at the cliff base in the morning sunshine.

Service is great, the people on reception recommended some lovely places to eat, and went out of their way even to make the coffee to our taste. There are flasks available for you to take cold drinks out onto the terrace all day long.

On the terrace are two pools. One is a jacuzzi bath on a wooden deck, for about 6 people. We saw people in it once in three days. The second is a slightly larger stone pool (also a jacuzzi too). It is about 2m x 1.5m in size, waist deep, not huge but perfect for cooling off, dipping in and out of (under a large white canopy like the sail of a yacht). The beauty of Oia is that it is built on the cliff side, all higgledy piggledy, therefore if Olympic sized pools are your thing then look elsewhere as there is just no room for them in most places. Some hotels at the southern end of town do have bigger pools as far as we could see, but the prices also reflect that and the location is nowhere near as good.

Final piece of advice: don't bother with Thira, head directly for Oia if you can as it really is what the island is all about, and try to get a view over the Caldera. Our stay here was really wonderful and we cannot wait to come back.

2 Thank katie_tallis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
athens
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

Hotel has a great view to caldera, but by far is not a luxury one. Room is spacious but cannot say the same for the bathroom- very very tiny and kind of claustrofobic. The hotel exteriors as described in the hotel's site is a virtual reality. The terrace/ veranda was small. There were two jaccuzzi, one of them so small you could not feel comfortable to use it, and even the bigger one of them cannot be described as a pool. We never used them, it would have been like sharing a bathtub with strangers. Breakfast was basic, certainly not a motive to wake up by 1030.
Finding the hotel is a challenge when you arrive late. The reception was not operating at 22:00 we arrived, nor our calls were diverted to someody who could help. At a point of time we found - by asking here and there- Ecorama office and they guided us to the hotel.
The staff was not speaking Greek at all, which is uncomfortable for the greek tourists. They were not particularly customer oriented, without being rude. Certainly you did not feel the greek hospitality there!

2 Thank AthensGrk
residencesuites, management at Residence Suites, responded to this review, 24 July 2009
Dear Sir/Madame,

We know that it is disheartening when a hotel does not fulfil every hope and dream and we apologise if our facilities and hospitality did not please you. Residence Suites is not a luxury hotel, however our first priority is always the comfort of our guests. Our suites are traditional cave houses, typical of the area, renovated and refurbished. Due to laws protecting the original buildings of the area some restrictions made it impossible to extend the bathrooms further. We ask you to understand this small drawback and rather embody the unique experience that is staying in a cave home.

Residence Suites are located on the side of the Caldera, perched on the cliff face itself. This is what provides our guests with the magnificent views our hotel is famous for. Yet the suites are still spacious each with a private or semi-private balcony.

The two jacuzzi mentioned were never advertised or described as a pool. The jacuzzi offer an opportunity to relax and enjoy the breathtaking view in a semi-private environment. They are open only to Residence Suites guests.

The breakfast buffet provided caters to please as many guests as possible from many different nationalities. Hence we offer a wide variety of foods. The menu differs each day, hence providing the guests a range of choices throughout their stay. Breakfast hours, again, are to cater to the majority of our guests. It is your personal preference to sleep late into the morning.

Late arrivals are directed towards our main office, Ecorama Holidays, when the booking and check-in time are confirmed. From there if the office is open our staff are there to help you and show you to you room.
We understand your discomfort when you are in Greece and are required to speak English, and for this reason we endeavor to have a staff member who does speak Greek working at all times in our main office. Unfortunately this is not always possible and we are deeply sorry if this may have caused a problem. Our staff are always welcoming and happy to help, though it seems as if our usual high standard of customer service was not upheld during your late arrival. We ask you to understand that the staff members who cannot speak Greek share your feelings, we would also prefer to speak with you in your native tongue.
Yours Sincerely,
Athens
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2009

I had the pleasure of staying a few days a!t the Residence suites with my boyfriend and I can´t say how great it was, probably the best hotel I´ve ever stayed at.The decor is fantastic really trendy and the staff very helpfull, there is a very personal touch to everything.The room was clean,beautifully decorated spacious and modern with cable television so you could keep up with the news and the bed one of the most comfortable I've ever slept on, really comfy,
and with bathrooms which are kept clean by an amazing team of 2 female cleaners.. As far as the location goes, it´s very close to everything you will need out of a stay in Santorini, close to amenities and all the shops.The staff at the front desk was friendly, and helpful. On the way to Athens, my suitcase was lost. I ve asked the staff to keep an eye for my suitcase. They went the extra mile to keep me updated on the status of my suitcase a few times a day. It finally arrived three days later after touring in Europe. They were as happy to see it as I was!We visited all the nearby restaurants and bars (the new 214, lotza ,papagalos, kantouni etc ).We felt very welcomed and never had to wait for any of the resturants we wanted to eat at. Later on we used our discount voucher ( 20% discount ) at the Santorini Premium spa for a rejuvenating massage. The staff was friendly, knowledgeable, skilled and professional and cater to your requests to ensure that you receive a world class experience.My masseur Andra, gave me the best massage that I have ever had in my life. Perfectly timed to follow my first day of sunbathing for the season. I also had a facial by Karmen that left my face glowing and refreshed. This was the first facial that I've had there but from now on I'll schedule one in addition to the massage.It is rare to find such quality coupled with such genuine warmth and kindness and a complete lack of pretension.I had been in Santorini before and my hotel experience was nothing to write home about. I wish I had known about the Residence suites back then.Overall, this was an amazing experience and we are looking forward to going back to the same hotel next year.

greece
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2009

We stayed in the Honeymoon suite for 2 nights. The view was amazing, but I guess that was all with that hotel. This is by far no luxury hotel (although the price you pay is for at least 5star hotel). The room (by no means a suite!!) was average. The bathroom however was not decent. There was only a shower (not bathtube) and besides the wierd odour it was not very clean. I had to shower wearing my slippers. The bed was of a fairly good size, but the bed sheets were not (they were too small to fit for the size of the bed). Breakfast was a poor continental one and yogurt was kept outside the fridge or somethinfg to preserve it cool.The most negative point of this hotel is that there was no swimming pool. This is really a problem, because jacuzzi is not a pool!!! In addition, the discounted spa facility does not worth any cent. It is too expensive (120 euros for manicure & pedicure!!!! no way) and the result was below satisfactory levels. They need to work on the spa facility and the staff and then advertise it. Overall, I think that the price does not correspond to the quality of the hotel (&the spa), the only thing you pay is the view. Rest assure that you can enjoy the view from other hotels or restaurants when enjoying a nice lunch/dinner with much less money. I would not really recommend.

1 Thank Sanem2009
We are sorry to hear that our services have let you down and we apologise sincerely if you misunderstood our advertising.
Residence Suites is not a luxury hotel. It is neither advertised as 5 star nor advertised to have a pool. We offer advice to our customers on where they can swim at a nearby pool in one of our other properties, and provide two outdoor jacuzzis for their use. Also our bathrooms are not equipped with bath facilities but all have shower facilities, as stated on our website.Our rooms are all cleaned and checked on a daily basis. If a guest encounters any problems we encourage them to report this so that it can be resolved immediately. Our cleaning staff are always ready and at your service, happy to help and make your stay a comfortable and pleasant one.The breakfast buffet provided caters to please as many guests as possible from many different nationalities. Hence we offer a wide variety of foods. Our yoghurt is left out of the fridge only during the buffet breakfast in order to allow our guests easy access to self-serve. Fresh yoghurt from the fridge is put out each morning and sits on the buffet for a maximum of 2 hours, if it is not re-filled throughout that time frame, and we assure you that our catering complies with the highest of food and health safety standards.In reference to the spa treatments and their pricing we would like to say that they are very high quality treatments, incorporating the newest of technologies with the most effective traditional techniques to provide you with the most relaxing and refreshing spa treatments we can offer. All this set in the heart of the breathtaking village of Oia means that prices will not be cheap, however they reflect the quality of the service. We would also like to mention that all Residence Suite guests are offered a 20% discount on our spa treatments . Exceptionally in your case we ve provided a 40% discount as a courtesy from our staff.
Yours Sincerely,
South Lake Tahoe, Ca
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 June 2009

We had a beautiful 2 bedroom suite set overlooking the caldera. It was absolutely fabulous! Tia, the girls, and Florin were very helpful and accomodating!

• Stayed June 2009, travelled with friends
Los Angeles, CA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2009

My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights. After researching and reading a ton of reviews while trying to find a hotel for Oia, we finally decided on the Residence Suites.

Upon our arrival, we paid 30 euros for a transfer that picked us up at the port and drove us to Oia. It was about a 20-30 minute drive and well worth it since it would've been impossible to find the location.

We were dropped off in front of a place called Ecorama which manages some of the hotels in Oia. They were very helpful and friendly. Once we checked in, they walked us to the hotel which was a longer walk but it's within the cliff (hence, why it's a longer walk from the parking lot because there are no cars that can drive within the town of Oia). There are steps and it was about a 10 minute walk. They had to have someone get our luggage for us since it was too big and heavy. Otherwise, you have to carry smaller luggage with you.

The view from the Suites is amazing and definitely worth it for the stay at this location. It's not a luxury hotel by far. It was decent. I would say about a 3-star hotel for Europe. My only complaints are the following:

We had a stain on one of our towels, which was disgusting but was changed by the next morning after we told the reception desk. And the bed was extremely uncomfortable. As soon as you lay down, it would sink in. My husband and I didn't sleep well at all here. The walls are also very thin. We were next to another studio and we could hear them using their restroom sometimes.

The breakfast was decent with an amazing view. There wasn't much of a selection for breakfast but there was bread and yogurt and cereal.

The reception was great and very helpful in telling us where to go and what to do.

Overall, if you are planning to stay in Oia, definitely stay in one of the cliff hotels. I wouldn't recommend this location for a honeymoon because we saw a lot of nicer more luxurious hotels for that but of course the prices for those were astronomical. If you're going for a romantic trip for two then I would recommend the Residence Suites. The value for what you can get in Oia is great.

• Stayed May 2009, travelled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2009

Great location, in the 'midst of Oia' and 100 metres from sunset alley. Very clean and the room we were in was as though for Hobbits - a cave dug into the rock, whitewashed and with appealing atmosphere. The staff were wonderfully helpful, the breakfast simple but adequate and the views simply stunning. That said, there are a few words of caution. If you have heavy suitcases, the walk and the steps down to the Residence are quite arduous. The photos give an illusion of space but in fact you are cheek by jowl with neighbours and it can be a bit noisy (although it was quiet when we were there). The toilet/bathroom are TINY and the main drawback is the lack of a suitably sized hot water storage tank, so if there are two of you, shower QUICKLY!! The bed was moderately comfortable and the towels slightly sand-paperish. There are Residence cats, which are wonderful, as well as a number of friendly visiting dogs - always happy to dine on tidbits. We were there the last week in April and it afforded relaxation and tranquility and the price was right (although in summer it doubles and then is not, in our opinion, value for money). If you are expecting five star - think again as you are really on your own. Oia is crammed with cruise ship visitors during much of the day, but the early mornings and evenings are wonderful. There was no internet facility.

• Stayed April 2009, travelled as a couple