Yes, this place is exactly like the pictures. Paradise! The views are spectacular, the infinity pool is a plus especially at night, and the location is ideal. It was worth every penny...
The room was clean, cool, and completely furnished but you rarely spend much time inside in this town. The staff were very helpful (though we didn't get to meet the owner Gabriella -- hope your mother is better!) -- they arranged the taxi transfers to and from Nostos and even packed our breakfast when we had to leave on an early flight back to Athens.
The breakfast provided was the best and most substantial we ever had in Greece -- more than the typical hard roll and yogurt. There were boiled eggs, fruit, freshly squeezed fruit juice, cold cuts, cheeses, etc. There is also a store at the top of the stairs, not too friendly but they have a lot of fruit and food if you decide not to eat on a cliff side cafe enjoying the views.
The only complaint we had at Nostos was the weak wifi signal in our unit. The only complaint anyone else might have with the place is the steep set of stairs down to the property. They will haul your luggage up and down but be prepared for your own personal workout!
We would love to stay at Nostos the next time we're here if we have a short visit. But if we stay for a longer stint. we probably won't need the pool and view and would find something just as nice on the other side of town for half the price. But if this is your first time to Santorini (and especially if you are a couple), you've got to stay here!
Oia eating suggestion: eat at Cafe Flora about half way into town on your right -- great Greek pizza (it is different, delicious. and reasonable) and gelato. Say hi to Amir the young server and Manolish, the owner's husband -- he speaks some English and loves to teach you Greek!
As for the rest of the island, go to the Akrotiri ruins that just reopened in 2012. The red sand beach there is a bit of a hike and mostly rocks but it is beautiful. We went to the beach at Kamari (very European with a lot of suntanning and not much swimming) but found out later it is better to go to Perissa for a swimming experience. We didn't spend any time in Thira but will go to the Archeology Museum the next time we are there. Buses are a reliable way to get around and taxis are a good backup plan. And of course the Oia sunset is spectacular -- get to the north end of town about 20 minutes before the event -- it gets crowded.
By the way, for the "Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants" crowd, you can still get a horse (not donkey) ride up from the beach on the north end of town but it is not the same location as the movie. The place where the film was shot was actually right below Nostos but a landslide killed a tourist recently and so the path is closed.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Small settlement located in OIA on the Santorini Island,consist of 8 units for 2 till 5 persons, reception, bar and pool facilities. Settlement is situated on the edge of the Volcano crater, overlooking the see and islets around. Each unit is fully equipped and can work as an independent bungalow (fully equipped kitchen, terrace etc.) Cave-like looking apartments, just 3-5 minutes walking distance from the center of the village and shopping center, but on the really calm area... relaxing and romantic atmosphere ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Ebookers, Odigeo and Agoda so you can book your Nostos Apartments reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Nostos Apartments Oia
- Nostos Apartments Hotel Oia
- Nostos Apartments Santorini/Oia