“So Hospitable”

Zoe-Aegeas Traditional Houses
Ranked #7 of 74 Speciality Lodging in Oia
Reviewed 10 August 2014

Hands down, Santorini is such an amazing island! We stayed at the Zoe House and I CAN NOT wait to come back! We were well taken care of by the owner. Great restaurant, bars, beaches and tourist attraction recommendations! It was a very happy birthday for me :)

Room Tip: Renting a car is a must but SO worth it!!!!
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
2  Thank Brandi E

Reviewed 31 July 2014

Had a lovely stay at Zoe Houses. Our apartment was very nice and we had a private balcony above the room. The view was spectacular; Santorini has been on my "bucket list" for a long time and I was so pleased I chose Oia and Zoe Houses.

Found Zach and John to be friendly and helpful. Breakfast was basic but fine. Location is superb. Enjoyed watching the hustle and bustle from our balcony during the busy periods when the cruise ship people hit town as well as just before sunset. Donkeys passing in the lane right next to us was also entertaining.

If you go to Santorini, you MUST stay in Oia, if you just chose Fira I think you will be disappointed.

2  Thank Miree61
Reviewed 31 July 2014

I would recommend Zoe House to any of my friends heading to Santorini. Zac and John were very helpful and accommodating. They made our trek from Canada well worth it!!!
The location was amazing...we did not have a view from our room, but had access to a balcony with the most amazing views. The breakfast was great everyday. Fresh fruit, fresh bread and Greek yogurt...it doesn't get any better. John took us to the most wonderful family run restaurant on the first night and both John and Zac made sure we got the most out of our stay on the island. The only thing I would change about our next visit is that we would stay more than two nights. It wasn't long enough!

1  Thank KerryK2502
Reviewed 27 July 2014

This property is must definitely at a prime location and has beautiful architecture. In my opinion, that's all it has going for it. Whoever photographed it did an amazing job, because on the website photos looks ten times better than in person, and trust me when I say this, as I work for a living upclose with commercial photographers and advertising agencies, some photographers have such talent!!! I stayed with family in one of the larger houses and it was dissapointing to realize their reception desk was right in front of our door (6ft) and we could hear and see the constant all-day dealings of the innkeepers. We arrived at midday and could not be let into our rooms. There is no comfortable waiting area, we were sent to the Santorini public pool to wait until our room was ready, since there is no pool at this property. Plan to arrive about the time your room will be ready, otherwise you will be wasting your precious and limited time in Greece waiting for your room and trying to get settle. I saw this happenning time after time to others, the rooms are never ready early! I believe the studios or other rooms do have a "caldera view", we knew ours didn't and we were told views could be accessed from any of the terraces, however the only accesible terrace was a cheaply made, falling apart wooden (aprox 9ftx9ft) terrace right above the reception desk. All other small balcony/terraces belong to other private rooms and couldn't be accessed. The houses display the unique architecture you see in the photos, however do not expect any great comfortable beautiful furnishings as pictured. Instead you will find very dated, uncomfortable primitive pieces. Ours had a kitchen and it had very dated burners and utensils, that I chose not to even use. We were instructed to only turn the water heater 30mins before a shower and turn off right before showering, as we could get electrocuted if left on while showering due to the design and features typical of the cave houses. We understood the concept, however we did not like the thought of making a mistake and getting electrocuted. This didn't settle well, but it is what it is. Also, at one point in time the sheet in the main room came undone on the corners and when we tucked the sheets back in, we saw a very unfinished surface with concrete debris, wood scraps, bugs, etc. right under the mattress where we have been sleeping, not nice to see....In this particular house there is also what looks like a daybed to accomodate one extra person, but this serves as your "living area sofa". It was so uncomfortable sitting there, I feel sorry for whoever has to sleep there. I noticed there were three separate chair cushions acting as the mattress/cushion and no cushions or pillows to lean against. The breakfast is very basic and nothing to be excited about. It consists of a small tray with bread, butter, marmalade, store bought yogurt and juice and one type of fruit; apple or banana. We had it one morning and that was enough. The innkeepers seem to be very hospitable for the most part. In my opinion is not exactly as genuine as it seems, maybe it is, but we didn't feel it was. But afterall, this is a business. We did hear them having a bad argument with guests waiting at one point in time. I definitely will not return or refer anyone personally to stay at Zoe houses as it was not a great experience for us, not at all what we expected. It was unfortunate, as this was the most anticipated part of our trip, but we all "live and learn"! When In Santorini again I will choose to pay just a bit more and stay in a place with up to date furnishings, great breakfast, comfortable relaxation areas with the view and genuine hospitality.

Room Tip: Family house does not have a view and faces the hotel reception, no privacy. Only room with A/C are...
3  Thank JAJO30
Reviewed 22 July 2014

We rarely write negative reviews, but are compelled to write this one because of the grotesque nature of the experience with Zach (owner) and John (manager). We have traveled extensively, and have never had such a dismal experience. Besides not having any privacy (a private terrace which is advertised, but non-existent and with NO view), having to disconnect the water heater before every shower, a terrible breakfast and to top this, they were fiercely disrespectful to females. We have a recording of a conversation between Zach and John, translated from Greek, with misogynistic phrases towards my spouse, daughter and female friends traveling with us in the adjacent apartment. Avoid this place. Santorini is much too beautiful to have a stay at this farce. Caveat emptor!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Frank E
ZakZagarelos, Ιδιοκτήτης at Zoe-Aegeas Traditional Houses, responded to this reviewResponded 23 July 2014

Good evening dear guest,
My name is Zak Zagarelos and i am the owner of the Zoe houses.I am sincerely dissapointed reading your review and more dissapointed that you didnt enjoyed your holidays here in my houses.
I would like to thank so far the trip advisor and all the huge companies we work with,which without their customers reviews we wouldnt be so high ranked getting for a second year the certificate of excellence and big awards from the biggest companies worldwide. We work hard sir and i believe we are doing our best.
I am the owner and i am always there in the arrivals even carrying a luggage to welcome my guests personally. I am the owner and i serve the breakfast in the morning to make sure that everything is perfect and everybody is happy. I am the owner and i am there twice a day to see all guests in person together with my manager and make sure that everybody is having a good time. I am the owner and i take the customers to restaurants personally ,in excursions,in everything.That is why i am sad to read all these comments.
First of all , ALL the houses in the island work with water heaters. It is an island and we all use heaters. So after 20-30 minutes you just have to turn off the button of the heater only for safety reasons ,you dont have to "disconnect" something with a tool as you mean with that description.It should be very normal for you if you have extensively travelled as you say.

Our breakfast is clearly written in the sites and its provided as shown.Fresh bread,fruits,yogurt,orange juice,milk,honey,butter,marmalade and every day we change fruits and kinds of bread. I do not really see what is the meaning of terrible sir but i strongly believe that its extremely reasonable breakfast when the rate for a house of 5 persons is very low towards the market of oia, and it provides all kind of facilities like full kitchen and even laptops in each house.
About the privacy i would like to tell you that this is also very clear and explained in our websites and photographs too. Nothing to hide and you can read that in more than 100 reviews in booking.com ,trivago, and other sites too. I clearly dont understand why you felt so dissapointed with the balcony. The view is panoramic from the houses.

About your unbelievable accusation about our "misogynistic" comments , i would like to explain you that: I have a wonderful wife, and john my manager has a wonderful family with 3 children. We are professionals and absolutely respected persons,which we work very very hard to make our living and we are very proud for what we have achived till now. I really dont like people that are trying to ruin my big effort all these years saying things like that. This a very bad accusation from your side and i am ashamed to read that. Nobody but nobody has ever ever felt something like that,and you are telling me that you have recorded and translated from a greek and we were talking liker that about your family?I have full respect for all my guests sir and i work personally to make that sure,and that bad comment of you makes me very sad.
I deeply apologize if you felt all that uncomfortable situation in our houses with the breakfast ,with the view ,and the disturbing stuff. The location rank is 9.7 in all the reviews.
Since its your first reviews after all that travelling i would suggest you to think more carefully when you review a bussiness,we are all hard working people and it is not "healthy" to cause damages like this. I believe in myself and my staff is very proffessional ,and i am expecting the support of my guests to make that bad review dissapear and bring the balance again. Thank you very much and i wish you to enjoy santorini next time more.

With respect
Zak Zagarelos

Reviewed 11 July 2014

A stay in this house is truly a memorable experience. You are met at the bus stop and escorted along the laneways to the house where you enter through a quaint doorway into a courtyard. Your hosts are on hand to show you the unique cave house. We were a group of five adults and there was plenty of room with a large table to gather around each morning. A nice breakfast was delivered which was consumed while planning the days activities. Upstairs there was a terrace where you could have an evening drink while looking down on the crowds going to see the sunset. If the front door was left open the tourists would always look in. The castle viewing position for the sunset was close by as were many restaurants and shops. The iconic Santorini views were literally at your doorstop.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank DemonJohn
Reviewed 27 June 2014 via mobile

We had a lovely time in Santorini. Zac and John are very helpful and attended to all our needs. The house itself is full of character, has a beautiful view and a perfect location, making you feel truly at home.

• Stayed: June 2014