“Beautiful view, but definitely overpriced for what you get”

Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #16 of 56 Hotels in Oia
san francisco
“Beautiful view, but definitely overpriced for what you get”
Reviewed 17 October 2007

My friend and I (both Platinum SPG memebers) decided to take a week vacation in Satorini and stay at Mystique in Oia. The caldera and view from this hotel is definitely amazing, but many hotels have beautiful views in this area as well.

Everyone is writing about the steps - indeed, if you have trouble climbing steep stairs, I would caution against staying here as it is tiring (even for a young fit couple in their 20s) to climb this w/o running out of breath. I would not recommend my parents stay here for this reason.

I did read that the breakfast was included in many people's prices, however it was not included in mine. I didn't eat at this hotel once seeing all the other better and more economical choices about a 5 min. walk into town.

What does this hotel need - a little internet room with at least 2 computers set up. I didn't want to lug my laptop on vacation yet needed to check my email daily to make sure nothing urgent was awaiting me. The laptop they offer to guests to take for up to an hour was occupied by some inconsiderate guest for 4.5 days out of the 5 days I was staying there!! The hotel felt they could not do anything about it so offered their own computers for my use. Very nice of them, however was still a major inconvenience to ALL parties. This situation could quickly be fixed with a computer room that all category 6 hotels I have stayed in feature.

Aside from this, enjoy the privacy, quietness, view, spacious shower and tub. Make sure you go into town and esp. check ou the cafe called "ezkida" they do breakfast, lunch, and dinner for great prices and excellent quality. Ask for Martina who is the most fun waitress ever.

• Liked — the view
  • Disliked — the price, the lack of amenities, the lack of information when you check-in
  • Stayed October 2007, travelled with friends
14 Thank rjy053

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (125)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Thousand Oaks, California
Reviewed 13 October 2007

My son and i stayed here because I am a Starwood member and like their hotels. We are Greek -Americans. This was my third trip to Santorini and I knew I wanted to stay in Oia this time as I hate the crowds and tacky shoppes in Fira.

The pluses are:
The decor is modern, minimalist, like a W, but with a Cycladic flavor.
The bed was comfortable.
The included breakfast was not a buffet, but, rather, you order anything off the menu.
The ladies in Reception were very helpful and accommodating.
They have adequate parking across and slightly down the street.
The van picked us up and dropped us off promptly at the port.
The view into the Caldera is very nice.
It is a short walk to the shoppes in Oia.

The minuses are:
Our room was toward the bottom, so the view is better up toward the top.
The cobblestone steps down to the resort are uneven and a bit treacherous, especially going down. The hotel said they will be modifying them for next year. But, most hotels have many steps as most are built into the cliffs of the caldera. I was disappointed in the lack of a sunset view in this part of Oia. Last year I stayed in Imerovigli and, because of its position on the caldera, Imerovigli looks into the sunset as well as the caldera.

The bathroom is interesting, but the cave like ceiling had our mirrors very low and I had to duck down to look in, and I'm only 5'3"! The tub was a little treacherous getting in and out as it is built of stucco and quite deep, but also quite interesting with good water pressure. Also, the drawers under the sinks are very shallow and don't leave much room for your toiletries.

Reception told me that I needed to let them know if i were using the bathroom jacuzzi so they could ground it. That was a little scary! what if you forget!

The first two days the espresso machine was broken. The a/c never quite really cooled the room. The concierge couldn't get through to 1800, a top restaurant, so we made our own reservations. She said they always got a fax machine. But when I was at the restaurant making the reservation in person, many people were calling in to make reservations, so go figure!

We didn't use the pool. We opted for the Red and Black (Kamari, not Perissa) beaches, which are quite exotic.

I would still recommend the hotel. This was the first year for the Mystique and some kinks need to be worked out. Knowing the quality of
the Starwood Group, I am certain things will improve here.

• Liked — The decor and comfort
  • Disliked — the steps
  • Stayed September 2007
7 Thank CalEuroTraveller
San Francisco
Reviewed 9 October 2007

My wife and I stayed here for five nights on the third leg of our honeymoon. This a perfect hotel for a romantic getaway. It is a 5 minute walk to Oia which in our opinion was the nicer and less touristy than Fira. We stayed in room #7 which was minimally furnished but was very comfortable and very clean. The staff was very attentive and spoke good English. The pool is very small but with only 20 or so rooms and no children the Hotel is very quiet and feels very private. We would definitely stay here in the future.

• Liked — View
2 Thank Z_Minor
Hong Kong
Reviewed 6 October 2007

5 nights in an Allure Suite ( Room #1) and no regrets !

Best points, the view, the staff, the breakfast ( too good.....) and the feeling about the place....

Bad points - none really..except minor quibbles about room fittings...

Oia is excellent and a stay at the Mystique will only make you like it more.

• Liked — the staff and the view
1 Thank HKJR
portland
Reviewed 4 October 2007

We had an outstanding experience at Mystique. The ladies that work the front desk bend over backwards to accomodate all of their guests and we witnessed this first hand during our entire stay.

The place is lovely and quiet. The view is simply spectacular. Often times, we had the pool and verandah's to ourselves! The breakfast, which is included in the cost of the stay, is unlimited. You can even drink champagne every day!

We are experienced travelers and relied on the Starwood Luxury name for this trip. We were not disappointed. This place has got it all and we will return there again when we plan another trip to the Greek Islands.

Also, you can't go wrong with Oia. It is top notch, and I wouldn't select Immerovigli or Thira over Oia, even for a 5 star hotel with an impeccable record.

• Liked — The view!!!!
  • Disliked — Stairs
2 Thank krissyk
Boston, MA
Reviewed 29 September 2007

The view is amazing, the service is doting, but luxury travellers may feel this property lacks something -- and for the money what's missing will only seem more glaring.

We stayed at Mystique as the last leg of our honeymoon which took us from Rome to Florence to Athens to Santorini. The hotel is nice, but please note that it is *completely* inaccessible to those in wheelchairs, crutches, etc. It was 64 steps from the street level to our "cabin," and 20 more to the included breakfast, pool and cabana area. Breakfast was included in our rate--otherwise it was a whopping 55 euros/person!!!

We were upgraded to an Allure suite from a vibrant suite. I can only imagine what a vibrant suite must have looked like. The allure suite was deep, but due to the hotel's design, natural light was lacking by the beds. Room decor is "minimalist island chic," which proved jarring after a honeymoon that had included stays at some opulent European hotels.

The pool was almost laughably small, there were no gym facilities to speak of (but there were those steps!), and because of the size of the hotel other resort like amenities (spa, sauna, restaurant choices) were very limited. The staff was very responsive to our every need and given how few rooms there are, you get to know the staff personally over all but the shortest stay.

Bottom-line: This is a unique property with few frills--yet still offered at top dollar. While it will please some, it's not for everyone and one would do well to be cautious before booking to avoid disappointment.

7 Thank flyer07
Chicago
Reviewed 31 August 2007

We are members of Andrew Harper and his Hideaway Report. We like to think we find the best hotels where ever we travel - as a result of reading his reports. This hotel was brand new and not listed yet and we were traveling at the last moment so we could not get into Katikies. (or any of the others listed in his report) so we booked here.

They gave us a room with a loft area when we arrived and I did not like it. The view was amazing - the service was outstanding, but for me the room felt too small.

They moved us to room 12 the next day - and boy was a difference (for me again) This was room was very spacious - and was all on one floor. The outside deck area for our room is very large and I am sitting there as I type this now - looking at the sea...

Service here is outstanding, never met nicer people who really care about what they do. They go out of their way to help, make suggestions for places to see etc. We have eaten at several places on the island now (even Ambrosia) and think the food here is the best (as well as the view).

This is the place on Santorini!

Stayed August 2007
4 Thank rdeahl
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oia
Andronis Luxury Suites
#18 of 56 in Oia
Kirini Suites & Spa
Kirini Suites & Spa
#10 of 56 in Oia
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel

Been to Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!