“great place but need to be in good shape”

Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #20 of 54 Hotels in Oia
Boston, Massachusetts
“great place but need to be in good shape”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 May 2011

We stayed in the Mystique, May 2011. Our upgraded suite was wonderful but had to climb about 50 steps down to room & another 30 for breakfast or dinner. Our room had a steam in the shower as well as 2 person whirlpool. very clean but is cut into cliffs as are most places in Oia ( eeyah). I needed some medication & Irini in office found it & had it delivered to my room in about 1 hr from when I called. The breakfast was delicious & fresh. The wait staff was very efficient. The bed was comfortable & the linen was soft. The view from your terrace of the Caldera is spectacular. Antonia, the manager ran a wonderful operation with Irini, Maria, & Katerina. I have artificial knees & toward the end of my stay the climbing became easier as my legs strengthened. Exercise before going.

Room Tip: Speak w/ Antonia & book early
  • Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
MysOia, General Manager at Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 2 June 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for sharing your experience on Trip Advisor. Your kind comments is our best reward for us to keep doing our best for our valued guests.

Looking forward to welcoming you back at Mystique.

Kindest Regards,

Antonia Veskou
Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Oak Park, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2011

My wife and I, along with others from our family, stayed two nights at Mystique and had our wedding ceremony there. In all, it was incredible.

- The facilities: Everything was top-notch. It was impeccably clean, perfectly manicured and beautiful. Each room is different with it's own layout. Our family occupied three rooms, and they were great.

- The location: Situated on a cliff overlooking the Caldera, you couldn't ask for a more breath-taking view. Pictures on their website (and from my camera) just cannot do it justice. You really have to see it to believe it.

- The food: We ate breakfast there every morning and had a sit-down meal within their cavernous restaurant for our wedding dinner. The food was excellent - the best we had on Santorini, actually. If you stay there, don't overlook this!

- The staff: I have saved the best for last. Though the place was amazing and the location has to be one of the best in the world, the staff was outstanding. They were friendly, attentive and provide top-notch service. They made transfers to and from the airport easy, we received a nice "welcome treat" upon arrival, provided recommendations for activities and eateries, etc. For instance, the manager helped arrange a private boating excursion, and it was unforgettable. They weren't afraid to go the extra mile.

The manager of the hotel also helped us organize our wedding - photographer, videographer, cake, chairs, hair & makeup, et al. We were a bit nervous, having booked this all sight-unseen from the U.S. But, in the end, it was magical and was the "dream wedding" my wife sought.

One thing of note: There are many stairs here. If you have mobility problems, this place may not be for you. But, if you have mobility problems, Santorini, in general, may not be the right place for you. There are many steps - regardless of your location on the island.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
Dear Guest,

It was such a pleasure for us to share this special day of your wedding with you and your family. Words are not enough to express our happiness for you having such a great time here at Mystique.

Thank you so much for sharing your comments and we are looking forward to your next visit on a future anniversary.

Kindest Regards,

Antonia Veskou
Hotel Manager
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 May 2011

Mystique sits at the accessible end of the village of Oia. This means that it is not overlooked by other hotels or houses, which many - most - of the others we saw in the town are and therefore lack privacy. Mystique is exclusive and private.

The room (Allure suite) was spacious, cool, minimalist but comfortable and furnished with a large walk-in shower and a separate indoor whirlpool with room for 6 if you wanted to have a private pool party!

The hotel restaurant was good for breakfast and we ate dinner there once then went out to the recommended restaurants in town to absorb some of the atmosphere and also to ensure that we got some exercise. The steps will provide that for sure, especially if you go down to the harbour and then return the way you came - via the 39 steps (well 239 actually...). Worth it though.

This is not a cheap hotel but none of them is in this area.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Muzza668
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2011

Up until this point, I always thought the Starwood chain's crown jewel was their Bora Bora resort in Tahiti, but Mystique is certainly in hard contention for being the most desirable place to stay in their system. The review I'm doing here is from my second visit to Santorini and my very first stay at Mystique, which happened in September of 2010. My visit to Mystique lasted four nights, and after compiling and reviewing all my notes, I've come up with plenty of (almost entirely good) things to say. I'll try to keep things succinct and concise at first and add some detail for later as we go along.

The best reason to stay here is that the service at Mystique is of Ritz Carlton or Four Seasons caliber & quality. I could think of absolutely no criticisms about the staff (except maybe their working conditions, but I'll elaborate later). Everyone was all smiles at all times and even when the staff wasn't facing the guests, most of them were talking together and laughing and seemed to be genuinely enjoying what they were doing.

I saw the cobblestone steps that reviewers complain about… and… they are indeed really good for workouts. This will be a challenge for people of even decent fitness and don't even think of trying to stay here if you have mobility issues. Mystique is located at the lowest inhabited level of the caldera (about halfway up the side of the caldera from the water). If you have issues with going up and down steps that are steeper than the ones going into your basement, please consider somewhere else first: most caldera-facing hotels & villas in Oia have much more manageable sized steps.

Mystique's onsite restaurant is named Charisma and -- from everything that I could tell -- is only meant for guests of Mystique (and perhaps also guests of Vedema, the Starwood sister property on the other side of the island; free shuttle service between the two places, b.t.w.). Mystique's dining establishment is resort-class (i.e. *very*) expensive. We arranged dinner for our first night, and even though we were in the first set of tables to be seated around 8:30 p.m. (most dinners in Oia seem to happen between 9 p.m. & 11 p.m.), the server reported the kitchen didn't have the Swordfish and Grouper dishes listed on their menu. The fish choices remaining were sea bass encrusted with shellfish (which I'm allergic to) and the overpriced fish-for-two (50 Euros), which is what we ended up getting. While we really appreciated the ambiance and the enthusiasm of the the dining staff, the fish-for-two option really wasn't worth what we paid for it (the dish consisted of some greens and a completely whole fish -- which we would've preferred de-boned by the professionals in the kitchen or the servers table-side; memorably dull and uninspired).

Snacks & lunches at Charisma are also pricey (between 40 & 50 Euros for two appetizers and drinks) but we actually decided these prices were reasonable for what was delivered, so we indulged with poolside restaurant visits and room-service calls to Charisma each day of our stay.

The breakfasts each morning were incredibly good. My favorite was the crepes, made of chicken, cheese & prosciutto. The Greek-style pancakes (tiny things drenched with honey) were also remarkable and so was the Greek Omelette. Basically the way breakfast works at Mystique is you choose anything you want from the breakfast menu and it's brought out to you, freshly made. If you somehow make a booking with a rate that doesn't automatically include breakfast, go to town in the morning and be happy you're saving a crazy amount of 55 Euros per person for the ala carte breakfast cost.

The last dining experience I wanted to mention was the wine tasting in the cave (which is actually an old water cistern chiseled into the rock behind the restaurant space). Starwood's properties on Santorini share a sommelier, but when we did our visit another hotel had apparently poached this staffer away, so for our wine tasting night one of the Estonian servers filled in. Even though it was only her second or third time running the wine tasting event, she had studied each of the wines very carefully (and had a stack of handwritten notes she would periodically refer back to). The presentation of six different types of Greek/Santorini wine, grapes and cheeses on the huge table was very welcoming and the entire table of three couples really enjoyed Dana (or Dahnah; not sure exactly how her name was spelled) running the thing. The cost for doing the wine tasting experience was 35 Euros per person which I felt was well worth it.

The suite we stayed in was an Allure suite, which came with a fabulously sized Jacuzzi tub built into the bathroom. The staff had already filled the tub and set the temperature (to not too hot, which turned out to be perfectly refreshing), and we enjoyed it a number of times during our stay. I didn't get to peek inside any other rooms (there are maybe between 18-20 rooms, or "cave houses", which make up Mystique) but I did see a couple obviously smaller rooms (which still have the excellent views and their own terraces) and I never got close to looking into the two Villas (which are situated underneath the pool and restaurant levels, making the Villas even more exclusive & private).

The only criticism I could come up with about the Allure Suite was that the room safe (in the closet) wasn't big enough to hold my MacBook Pro. I ended up hooking my computer to a cable lock that I had brought along.

The front desk staff were incredibly engaged and responsive in making sure our stay was going to be just right. I e-mailed them a few days before my arrival and they volunteered to help set up an itinerary for us (which included restaurant reservations for each night, a massage, car or scooter rentals, and a catamaran cruise around the caldera). The other staff I got to interact with were the wait staff, a mix of Greek, Latvian and Polish, the cleaning ladies and the guys who lugged bags & suitcases up and down the stairs all day long (no mules or donkeys at this resort). The entire staff was all incredibly nice and just a pleasure to spend time with. I felt a little bad when I learned that everyone at Mystique works 7 days per week and 8 hours per day, while the hotel is in operation. If I were G.M., I'd probably try to find a way to give them at least one day off per week while they're working during the season to decompress and relax.

The boat cruise line Mystique likes to work with is the Santorini Sailing Centers (who also have reviews here on TripAdvisor). They're a bit more expensive (at 155 € per person) than other options (e.g. Blue Lagoon Cruises) but the afternoon & sunset "semi-private" cruise we did on the Carpe Diem catamaran was exquisitely awesome (there was only one other couple on the boat with us, but the most they book for these semi-private tours would be four couples at one time). I'm really thankful Mystique arranged this.

Ambrosia (one of their recommended off-property restaurants) came out to be 133 euros. It was a good meal, but all the tables were crowded together with various couples and it felt like an assembly line operation. It might've been worth $133 USD, but certainly not $175 USD (which is what 133 Euros converted came out to be). Dinner options can be much more fun and inexpensive and adventurous if you go into Oia. The front desk will attempt to make reservations for you for almost everything, including dining, but try to leave at least half of your nights free to explore dining options and feel free to take advantage of your free Internet while at Mystique (or before arriving) to browse TripAdvisor to see what other reviewers are saying about the dining places you can visit in town. My recommendation would be to do a mix of casual dinners in the evening and fancy dinners. Don't do expensive meals each night, because then the expensive meals won't feel so special, even while you're enjoying your vacation.

In the end, my entire experience at Mystique ended up costing just over 3,000 Euros for a stay of four nights (the total of which includes the dining & an in-room spa treatment; our official room rate was 920 Euros per night, higher than Mystique's typical daily room rate, but our fourth night was counted as "free"). If bottom line cost is an issue for you, it's relatively easy to Google up places in Oia with Caldera views that cost half to 2/3rds of what you would pay at Mystique. But the service and the enthusiasm and the overall experience made me happy to have been able to stay here, even with the once-in-a-lifetime style price.

Hopefully this information helps you out. And if you did find useful information in my review, please let me know by clicking the "Helpful" link down below. Have a great stay!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
17 Thank MichaelInSF
Gig Harbor
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 January 2011

I as using Starpoints in Greece. We arrived from the Blue Palace in Crete and were picked up at the port. All the details were taken care of - wonderful upgraded cave room, staff was very warm and personable we felt like part of the family, breakfast was always memorable. The views are just breathtaking - be prepared for steps. Staff recomendations for dining in Oia was also great eat at the Ambrosia and Fig. This was the end of a long vacation and I am already planning a return trip to this magic hotel and the town of Oia.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Richelulu
Buenos Aires
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 January 2011

After our stay in Mykonos we traveled in Santorini.
Mystique is a very nice hotel with nice taste, good food, amazing view and very professional and welcoming staff.
Breakfast very good. Rooms so cute and the view breathtaking.
We will definitely come back.
The only thing was all that stairs to go up and down but Santorini is like that.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple
Modesto, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 November 2010

The rooms, the staff, the views, the food, the infinity pool, and the town of Oia all combined to make this vacation stay our best ever. The manager and all of the staff were outstanding and very service oriented. Their recommendations for dining in the town of Oia were excellent. It was a beautiful setting to renew our vows or for a wedding. It was worth every penny to stay there. We plan to return in two years. Thanks to the staff for a great visit.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple