“Paradise in Paradise”

Ranked #19 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Portland, Oregon
“Paradise in Paradise”
Reviewed 17 July 2011

We just returned from a week in Santorini. This was a surprise trip for my wife's birthday and I'd been planning it for almost a year. I found Mystique through a luxury travel site. It was easy to plan trip details, mostly by emails which they always answer promptly. I knew I wanted to be in the town of Oia and looked at several options, including renting a "cave house" for the week. I must say that Santorini possesses a natural beauty unlike anything else in the world, so staying in a tent would have been spectacular! But Mystique added a new dimension to our stay. This place is special...very luxurious without being stuffy. It has tons of soul and what makes it so unique is a combination of the wonderful, genuinely friendly staff, the supreme location on the caldera, and the defining architecture/design of the hotel. The manager, Antonia, maintains the hotel at a level of polish that is only seen in a few of the world's top resorts. Maria was magnificent and looked after us as if we were family. Irini was a delight, full of energy and classic Greek hospitality. When we left, we felt as if we were saying goodbye to members of our own family. To us, it felt like special treatment but I know that they treat all guests this way. Mystique is a treasure. We'll be back for sure.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Henley-on-Thames, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2011

Yes it's a beautiful place, yes the rooms are delightful and yes the view is outstanding - but the staff - beyond wonderful. Without exception they were delightful and attentive, from Antonia and her front of house colleagues to the porters, every single one was a joy. The hotel is lucky to have them and so were we. They made our holiday.
Being built into the cliff face space is at a premium and therefore the pool is on the small side (although nowhere near as small as one of the previous reviewers suggested) but you can't have everything and what it lacks in some areas it certainly makes up for in others - however it is not ideal for those with even slight mobility problems; there are a LOT of steps.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 July 2011

Just back from the Mystique! We went to relax and were not disappointed! There are some steep steps down to the hotel (and up - every time you go out!) but we treated this as useful exercise and a price well worth paying for the stunning views. Our room was very comfortable with private terrace. We thought the service was excellent with all staff friendly and helpful. Contrary to another review, we thought the breakfasts were great! Lots of choice and everything freshly cooked and well presented and all served on the terrace looking at that fantastic view.. Dinners were very good too - although the prices meant we saved dining at the hotel restauarant for special occasions. We had a great stay and hope to return one day.

New York City, New York
Reviewed 1 July 2011

Let me start off by saying that Mystique is a beautiful hotel - period. Perceptions, expectations and standards vary from person to person, and from country to country, with that this is my own personal account of my experiences at the hotel.

Service: Grade B. Antonia is thruly the heart and sole of this hotel, she is polite, engaging and you truely believe she wants you to have the best time you will ever have on the resort. She is a wealth of knowledge and she never steered us wrong with any recommendation she gave us. Everyone else was very polite and warm, thats very hard to find at a resort. But it missed on several points, when we made reservations reception never confirmed, never left reminders for appointment we made at the spa - I have been to many 5 star resorts and we were always left a note in our room regarding any reservation we had made, always a nice touch.

I could never tell wether or not the turn down service came, never quite the same every night - didn't understand it. They left water and a dark chocolate on the bed

Room: Grade B. We had the Spiritual Suite Room Number 2, beautiful view, nicely appointed but took a real dislike to the indoor jacuzzi,made the bathroom feel like you were in a tropical zone, they were able and supposed to turn the temp down from the outside but it never happened, we gave up on it and asked them to drain it because it started to make horrible noises at night, satellite TV was a joke, I still like to get some information from the outside world folks.

Food: Grade D. This is where it totally falls apart, a 5 star hotel should not serve this slop. Breakfast was nothing to write home about, over cooked omelets, poorly presented food for example my wife ordered a cheese platter all they did was slice up some cheese and throw it on a plate - they never even discribed what was presented, very poor. Had dinner the first night with two other couples we meet, our bill alone was over 300 euros worst meal I have ever had at that price hands down! After that we ate in Oia, and let me tell you the food was 100% better and at a fraction of the price. Ask Antonia for local restaurants trust me you won't be disappointed and you will be paying a fraction of the price. Room service was efficient, I have to give those ladies a grade of A+ the effort alone to bring you the food from the restaurant should be applauded.

We stayed at Cave Tagoo at Mykonos before we went to Mystique and the food was outstanding, if Mystique had their food this would be a terrific place to stay instead of an average grade. When I pay over $1,200/night I expect alot and for this reason I truely believe that this resort is overpriced

4 Thank fionakeira
MysOia, General Manager at Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2011
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your review on Trip Advisor.

We truly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments and we would like to thank you for your great comments on our team.

Please allow us to make some notes on your concerns expressed.

As we would like to avoid misunderstandings, we need to note that all reservations for our guests are reconfirmed with restaurants, cruises, car rentals or anything else requested. In addition, we always deliver to our guests upon arrival, a written note with all activities booked, dates and times. The individual notes daily are indeed a nice touch and our Front Office Manager will make sure we apply this practice from now on.

Regarding the turn down service, it is the same we have been offering since the opening of the hotel in the 5 years of operation. Our maids change the towels that are left on the floor, make the bed, take out the empty dirty dishes, add any amenities missing like shampoo or shower gel etc, tidy the room and leave water and chocolate. We would truly appreciate your comments if any of those things were not done during your stay with us, as well as any further suggestions on anything extra you would like to receive.

In all rooms having Jacuzzi bathtubs, since the purpose is to have it with hot water, a little humidity is unavoidable. We always suggest to our guests having the bathroom door closed and either the window open or the fan on, working. Indeed when you requested to switch off the temperature, we did, but still 400 liters of water in the room create some sense of humidity if door is kept open.
Concerning the television channels, we do provide clear reception of CNN, BBC, Eurosport, and other European satellite channels. Usually these are adequate for our guests. Of course if we receive any request for another channel, we definitely try to set it so that our guests are satisfied and well informed.

Charisma Restaurant has received many great reviews for its food quality. Our breakfast especially, is the highlight for the majority of our guests. Regarding your 300 euro bill, this was mostly on beverages and only a part of it was on food. Many of our guests try different dishes on very large meals with a bill of 300 euro for food only and they stay very satisfied. The prices at Charisma are no higher than any other gourmet fine dining restaurant in Santorini. There are many nice traditional tavernas in Oia, but this type of food can not be compared, as it is a different concept. Of course since food as you mention is a very personal subject, we can always create dishes, that do not exist in our menus, according to our guests taste, flavors and cooking they prefer.

We truly wish we were advised of your concerns during your stay, so we could resolve any issue while you were here and make your stay even more comfortable. As we take our guests comments very seriously and we try to improve continuously, we would appreciate, if you would like, to send me an e-mail to my personal address antonia.veskou@mystique.gr, so we can discuss and receive any further suggestions you might have.

We wish we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at Mystique and offer you an exceptional stay with enhanced service.

Kindest Regards,

Antonia Veskou
Hotel Manager
Park City, Utah
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Initially we selected Mystique because we are SPG Platinum. The hotel looked lovely and the reviews were excellent. Upon arriving, it was obvious what a special place we were lucky enough to have chosen! The setting is intimate, the rooms are beautifully appointed, and the staff is at the level of a Ritz Carlton! Antonia runs an incredible operation. All of the employees are like family, very warm, welcoming, and discreet. Unfortunately we did not get upgraded - the hotel was at 100% capacity and I believe that there are only a couple of rooms that have the private outdoor jacuzzi, so we understand why this was not an option. But we had the most private Allure Suite (#9) - it was on the far right end of the property (facing the Caldera) and therefore we had no foot traffic in front of our suite, which we greatly appreciated. Our daily breakfast was terrific, a huge number of options, from eggs, to omelets, to fruit, crepes, yogurt, you name it. While we found the stairs to be challenging, we considered this to be our payment for eating great food - glad to work it off! So this was not unexpected, and not a problem. We did not want to dine at our restaurant at night, because we wanted to explore Fira and Oia towns, and we had fantastic meals every single night. Our favorite restaurant by far is 1500 BC in Fira - absolute luxury/decadance!!! As for Mystique, from the moment we arrived, until the last moments departing, we felt truly pampered, happy, and so very lucky to be there. Thank you Antonia, Irini, and Katerina!

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 19 June 2011

For my holidays, I always like to do some research for the best hotels, based on reviews from Kiwicollection, Conde Nast & Tripadvisor. We have stayed in many of the best hotels in the world, and I did not want it to be different in Santorini. Since we could not decide in which hotel to stay in, we tried 3 of them (Santorini Grace, Mystique, Andronis Luxury Suites)(see my seperate reviews for each of them).

Although my favorite is now - rather unexpectedly - the stunning hotel Santorini Grace in the village of Imerovigli, our stay in Mystqique was extremily well taken care of and very memorable. I was a bit worried about some negative comments here on tripadvisor, but they all turned out to be not true, so do not have them mislead you. I even would say that Mystique is the top hotel in Oia.

On check-in, we were upgraded to their nicest villa, which was a very welcome surprise of course (but their other rooms seemed nice as well).

Pro's :
- The location is top. About 100 meters from the pedestrian street of Oia. You have to walk to Oia through a narrow street with some traffic, but this is not dangerous at all.
- View : absolutely breathtaking (as every other hotel located on the crater rim)
- rooms : very luxuriously decorated, with large terraces. Our room had an outside hottube, which was a nice touch. Bed was very soft and large.
- Staff : extremily friendly & helpful. Only one guy at the pool bothered us a little as we felt he was a bit to familiar with the guests, made lots of jokes and did not pay enough attention to discretion (this may work out for some guests, but not for us). I do not want to point my finger to him off course, but in this kind of hotels, guests expect total discretion from the staff.
- Food : delicious (both dinner and breakfast). The dinner is served at the outside restaurant, which offers amazing views. The dinner is expensive though (about 140 euros for 2 people, excluding wine), a little more expensive than at the other Oia luxury hotels.
- Swimming pool : a beautiful, small (but larger than expected) infinity pool. I totally disagree with other reviews here. The pool is small indeed, but not smaller at all than the pools of the other luxury hotels in Oia. If you want a large pool, go to Santorini Grace. Also, at Mystique, there are enough sun loungers for everybody on a large nearby terrace.

Some minor issues (which I think you should be aware of if you want to book your dream holiday to Santorini) :
- you cannot see the sun set from the hotel. In fact, the last rays of sun will enlight the hotel about 1 hour before sunset. We did know this before we travelled to Oia, so this was no problem for us, but one need to know this. If you like to watch the sun set from your the hottube on your terrace, go to the (Santorini Grace hotel in the) village of Imerovligi.
- there are many stairs in the hotels, but this is the case with every hotel in Santorini and should not be a problem for a person who is not disabled. I also disagree with other reviews here : this hotel has not more or steeper stairs than other hotels in the area.
- what did bother us a little, was that we did not have enough shade on the large and beautiful terrace of our villa suite. They should be able to make the tent over the terrace of that particular villa a bit larger, or provide umbrellas.
- our room had an outside hottube, but most other rooms had an inside hottube. This offers more privacy of course, but I am a fan of outside hottubes though. It's a pitty that they did not build more outside hottubes, because the terraces are large enough. If you really want an outsude hottube - like me - also have a look at Santorini Grace or Andronis Luxury Suites, where most - but not all - rooms come with an outside private hottube.
- the one thing we felt was that although the room was extremily well decorated and located in a cave, it felt more like a standard luxurious hotel room, and not the typical authentic cave room as you would expect in Santorini (although this may be a relief for some/most travellers).

Tip for sunset-watchers : do not go the castle in Oia where hundred of people are watching the sunset. Instead, turn right when you reach the street above the hotel, and follow the path for aboth 200 meters : the view is breathtakingly beautiful, as you see the sun set in the sea above the village of Oia.

All in all, a trully amazing hotel, and simply the best in Oia according to my opinion (although we did prefer the slightly less luxurious Santorini Grace hotel during our stay in Santorini, so have a look at them either). Thank you, Mystique, for our very pleasant stay!!!

6 Thank LuxTravelExpert
Grand Cayman
Reviewed 19 June 2011

Nice hotel, some of the best service I have experienced in 5 star hotels, food is excellent, rooms comfortable- everything you would expect from a 5 star hotel.