“The Mystique is one of the nicest properties I ever stayed at”

Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #16 of 58 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed 23 August 2011

The Mystique is one of the nicest properties I ever stayed at. The negative reviewers are out of their mind. My husband and I stayed here for our honeymoon in May of 2011 and it was awesome! I knew it was going to be good as soon as we booked it. We were married at a Westin so I booked it through Starwood and the girl on the phone got very excited and said, “oh, that property is beautiful, that’s where Beyonce hangs out”. Anyway, they picked us up at the airport without issue. The ride from the airport is long and we didn’t know what to expect, but when we walked down the hill to the hotel, we almost passed out! The view of the caldera is off the hook! The hotel is a beautiful white washed building and we were greeted with champagne and very friendly staff. We booked the Allure suite and were upgraded to a Spa Suite. Our room had a private terrace with beach chairs, a spa with a window overlooking the caldera, a gym with a window overlooking the caldera and was gorgeously decorated. They had treats and a Greek desert wine waiting for us in our room, with a note congratulating us. They had a beautiful infinity pool overlooking the caldera, however be advised that the pools are not heated in Greece. We stayed at a few properties in Santorini and all the pools were Ice Cold in May. At night they put candles all around the pool and bar and its an incredible sight. We loved the bartender! He was a riot and gave us great recommendations on local places to go at night. Breakfast there has got to be the best included breakfast I have ever had at a hotel. Instead of a buffet, they give you a menu and you can pick anything you want made to order. We had Mimosa’s with fresh squeezed OJ and the breakfast was so good, I’ve been trying to replicate every Saturday since your return. The hotel is a short walk from the center of Oia and Amoudi Beach. Amoudi Beach is beautiful and should definitely be a stop. You can jump off cliffs into the ocean and swim out to an island with a little church. Restaurants at Amoudi are awesome with beautiful views of the sunset and very good fish dishes. Amoudi is a must see and we actually got a confirmation on the Beyonce story too from our waitress. She said Beyonce had rented out the entire hotel for herself last summer.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 22 August 2011

My husband and I stayed here for a three days on our honeymoon. It was truly a magical place. The staff were extremely accommodating, friendly, kind and informative. They had "intuitive service"; they knew what you needed before you had to ask. Eirini, Katrina, Maria just to name a few of the service staff were excellent. We experienced a theft and they called four different people within Aegean Airlines to try and get information that would help us; now that is service. We were upgraded immediately to an amazing suite which was well worth the money spent! I will never stay anywhere else on the island after the wonderful experience. If you decide to wine taste, Kostas is very knowledgeable and gives a great introduction on the island wines. Dora, Marta, Mattesch and Drasco at the restaurant deliver impeccable service as well. Thank you for making our honeymoon complete :)

Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 19 August 2011

We stayed here for a week for our honeymoon at the end of June. The hotel is beautiful, and the service was second to none. Still, some things that weren't perfect:

- Price. Whether a hotel is worth the price is a matter of opinion, of course. In my view it wasn't. While I haven't stayed anywhere else on Santorini, research indicated that it is possible to get slightly less service for a much lower price

- As a Starwood Gold member, I expected to be upgraded on arrival. The hotel was full, and so they couldn't do that for us until the last two nights (which is fair enough, and was very nice when it happened), but I would have preferred to be told that straight on check-in, rather than have to ask (twice) before it was addressed.

- On an island where the tap water is undrinkable, and at a hotel of this price, it was a bit of a pisstake to charge for bottled water. We got two small bottles in our room a day, and for any more we had to pay €4.50 a bottle. It really should be provided free. I went to the grocery store each day, and bought large plastic bottles for €0.50 each.

- the room had a nice patio area, but there was virtually no shade, just a little thin tarp that only provided a bit of shade, and then only for part of the day. So we never used it.

- The room had only one standard electric outlet, which was used for the telephone. We disconnected that, but had to use that one outlet for a laptop, 2 mobile phones, a digital camera and an electric kettle. More power outlets would have been very useful.

- the film selection was quite small, and a bit weird for a hotel mostly for couples (Resident Evil? Lassie?)

- We ate at the restaurant once. The food was good, but the place had zero atmosphere. It's apparently restricted to hotel guests, but there are enough tables to the accomodate the whole hotel at once. The result was that we were eating in a cavernous, empty restaurant, with staff constantly hovering around. The international wine selection was pretty small (pretty standard for Santorini, I discovered!), and most of it was out of stock, (which is unforgivable for a restaurant of this standard).

- on one night we were upgraded to a room with a jacuzzi, it was nice, but it made the room very muggy and hot, and we asked for it to be turned off. we didn't want to use the AC or the fan because we prefer the fresh air, even if it's hot.

Would we come back? Probably not, to be honest, the price was very high, and we discovered we like a bit more DIY to our stays. But that's a matter of taste.

1  Thank tree507
MysOia, General Manager at Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor and for your great comments on our service.

Please allow us to make some notes on your other comments.

- As you mention, the price is indeed a matter of opinion, but it is always relevant to the level of service, the quality of product, the actual establishment, the quality of equipment, and the location as well.

- Due to the small inventory of the hotel and the high occupancy, sometimes there is no availability for a room upgrade. Of course we always advise our guests that if an opportunity comes up during their stay, we will be more than happy to offer it. And when it comes up, we definitely advise them and arrange everything for the room move. Exactly the way we acted in your case and offered you one Spiritual Suite for a night and one Villa for the last night of your stay.

- The tap water in Oia is officially drinkable. Indeed at the rest part of the island the water is undrinkable, but in Oia there is a very good desalination and filtration system used, which produces a very good quality water, which is drinkable. Despite that, we still offer complementary to every room, two 500ml bottles of water every evening.

- The reason why we use tents in the terraces of the room and not umbrellas, is because of the sudden winds that blow in the Aegean Sea and might cause an accident by lifting the umbrella off its position. It is a matter of safety. Of course if the guests request, we always move their sunbeds under shade.

- All our rooms, except the electric outlet where the TV, DVD player, and stereo are plugged in, offer more than 3 extra outlets in different positions in the room. Specifically, in the room where you stayed there are 5 extra electric outlets, 2 on the two sides of the bed, 2 on the left side of the sofa and one on the right side of the sofa. Of course if these are not enough for our guests, we do provide a power strip upon request.

- Our DVD selection includes more than 50 different theme movies. We offer a variety of movies between comedy, drama, romance, thriller, action, family, fiction, and musical. Even if our guests request to have a movie that is not included in our list, we try to provide it.

- Regarding the restaurant, this is exactly why we keep it available to our guests only, because of the privacy, which most people enjoy. Of course not all nights are that quite as the night you had dinner. Some evenings are more busy and some more peaceful. Our wine list includes 105 labels, 60 Greek and 45 international. This is objectively a very large list for a 22 room hotel, and we make sure to keep sufficient stock of all labels.

- The Jacuzzis are always kept at an average of 30 degrees Celsius. Yes, they do create an expected sense of humidity, therefore, we always recommend to our guests to keep the fan at the bathroom on and the door closed. In addition, we provide a dehumidifier in all rooms, in case the guests would like to use them.

We hope that we will have the opportunity to welcome you back at the Mystique, to give us the chance to alter your opinion.

Reviewed 13 August 2011

Mystique is beautiful, but that's mostly due to the island and the caldera and nothing to do with Mystique. Walking from Oia to Fira we saw tons of places that looked equally nice or nicer. Everyone says Mystique is the best property in Santorini. I find this very difficult to believe. First off, I booked an Allure Suite, the bottom level, because from the website it is virtually impossible to tell any difference between that and the Spiritual, which is effectively $250/night more. Maybe the Spiritual are nicer but the Allure are quite tiny, the shower is awkward, and the balcony offer no privacy. I was surprised to find a hotel that has such a high honeymooner contingent offer so little privacy. Room 5 is terrible. We moved to room 6 which is twice the size for the same price. The pool is essentially a dipping pool. People tell me they are planning to lounge around when they get there and I say, not going to happen. The chairs at the pool are unbelievably bad. Your bad just slides right off the chair. Apparently every other hotel with a pool in the world was able to get chairs you could comfortably sit in but Mystique wasn't. Rooms also felt dirty. Couch had a liquid stain in room 6 and floors and tub seems grimy. Room 5 reeked of smoke and seemed grimy everywhere. Can't watch TV in bed and showers are very awkward.

Now, the breakfast is amazing. Huge add to the value. Also nice that the A/C stays on when you're not in the room -- something even many high end European hotels lack. Unfortunately the restaurant is outrageous. A tiny chocolate souffle with ice cream we got one evening effectively cost $34 dollars! Service is great. Everyone makes you feel like you are at a small boutique hotel.

The hotel has a private beach, which is nice, but no way to get there. You can rent a car and good luck staying alive and not getting lost, or you can take a taxi for basically $100 rountrip. How about a shuttle even once going in the AM and once coming back in the PM? Also help getting to/from Fira would be nice. Getting a cab home in the high season is literally impossible.

Overall, this is a fine hotel. Its nice and it tries, but is it way overpriced for what you get and it seems to be this hyped up hotel that everyone calls the best hotel in Santorini. My sense was that it was one of many nice hotels and in no way deserves to be singled out. For the pool and lounge chairs alone I would never return.

Room Tip: Stay away from room 5!
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
4  Thank JML1817
MysOia, General Manager at Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 August 2011

Dear Guest,

Thank you for posting a review on Trip Advisor and for your wonderful comments on our staff and breakfast. We would also like to thank you for your recommendation on the sunbed mattresses, which is something we will look into. We truly appreciate your contribution in helping us to improve.

Kindly allow us to make some comments on your concerns. We need to note that we have never advertised our hotel to be the best in Santorini. This is said by the majority of our guests that had a memorable experience at Mystique and indeed this is our biggest recognition.

Your reservation was actually made for a Vibrant Suite, which is the entry level category and it measures 40 sq.meters. Keeping in mind the specific location and the typical architecture of Santorini with cave houses, this is a very good size accommodation when staying on the cliff side of Santorini.
Regarding the cleanliness in the rooms, the hotel is certified with ISO and we can guarantee that our rooms are immaculately clean.
As regards to the feeling the bath and floor gave you, this is the way the material is supposed to be. This construction style is called “patito” and it is the traditional style they have been using in Santorini for many years now, and since Mystique was build with great respect of the traditional architecture, there was no other way, but to use the typical Santorini style and construction materials.
Regarding the privacy, Mystique offers the advantage of being built horizontally on the cliff site, therefore offers more private balconies than many other properties that are built vertically where the rooms are unavoidably packed one close to each other.
As far as the pool is concerned, there are very strict laws in Oia about the architecture and the size of pools or Jacuzzis. Now that the number of hotels on the cliff side has significantly increased, it is a matter of weight, therefore it is not allowed to construct a large pool. As a result of that fact, the pool at Mystique is an average and a very good size Caldera pool.

Hoping that we will have the chance to welcome you back to Mystique in the future, please feel free to contact me in person in case you would like to discuss further.

Reviewed 4 August 2011

I recently planned a romantic get-away for my boyfriend and me. I was hoping for Santorini to be the special part of our vacation. I cannot express how disappointed I was for the price we paid and how "elite" of a place they advertise this spot to be. Far from a luxurious boutique, there is absolutely no privacy, no decent size pool, the people haven't a clue how to run a luxury hotel and the worst part of all: THE SMELL. I felt like I was eating people's feces that's how potent the sewage was draining off the hill next door to this place. On top of everything else, the service is HORRIBLE. We requested a restaurant with a view and they had us go to a place with no view at all... When we called for things, the phone rang and rang again until finally someone answered only to basically tell us to figure things out for ourselves... They had no clue what they were talking about with anything we asked. We had to call for fresh towels. The bath was cold and not working. I recommend staying further into the town of Oia, there seemed to be much better and nicer luxury hotels that had no smell at all with a pool and private Jacuzzi’s, which by the way we were so falsely advertised for… NEVER STAY HERE. I am trying to do you a favor and save you a waste of money.

12  Thank vvalentine218
MysOia, General Manager at Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2011

Thank you for your review on Trip Advisor.

Mystique is a true 5 star Luxury Collection Hotel and this is proven by the many detailed reviews we have received in the past. We are really surprised, but additionally very sorry if indeed this is the impression you received from our hotel, however we believe that at least something out of these concerns should have been mentioned to our members of staff while staying with us. We feel that your feedback is highly biased and it does not reflect our level of service and quality. We would appreciate if you could grant us a few minutes of your precious time to call or email us at a convenient time for you, to follow up on your visit and comments.

Reviewed 2 August 2011

Everything about Mystique is fine, but I don’t think it would be my choice for a return visit to Santorini. The clientele is largely American (much more so than any other hotel we stayed at in Greece), which isn’t bad in itself, but the fact that it is a Starwood property really works against it in terms of charm – it just feels a little more corporate and a little more “cookie-cutter” than other luxury hotels in Oia. If you do choose to stay here, you should know that the steps from the hotel up to the road are more difficult than at some other hotels in the area – there are 48 very uneven cobblestone steps from the road down to reception (the steps are actually a street, as there are residences along the path between the hotel and the main road). Oh the positive side, the hotel is only about a two or three minute walk down the road to the beginning of the marble sidewalks of Oia proper, so the location works well. The resort sits in an interesting spot along the cliff – it is actually in a crook that maximizes the view of the caldera. At first I was disappointed at the fact that you don’t have the classic view of Oia that you see from several of the other hotels (the white buildings spilling down the cliff), but then I came to appreciate the advantages of the solitary view – the lack of other buildings in your line of sight makes you feel like this is the only hotel in the area. The rooms themselves are fine (great bathrooms, with huge showers and most with hottubs in the bathroom), but they seem to be arranged more for form than function (you can’t watch tv from bed, the big “rocks” that substitute for a coffee table are not stable enough to actually balance a glass on). And if you do stay here, I would advise you to NOT stay in Room 11, since it sits directly behind the pool deck and your view of the caldera from your front porch area is filled almost entirely by sunbed umbrellas. While the hotel is certainly adequate (the beds are comfortable and the rooms are large), I don’t think I would recommend it unless you were able to stay here on Starwood points. Any place that charges this much should be described in more glowing terms that “adequate.” There are much more charming hotels in Oia in the same class and the same price range.

1  Thank beachy17
Reviewed 28 July 2011

We had an Allure Suite in mystique..our flights were delayed and we arrived at midnight from Athens. Antonia greeted us with a great smile, enthusiasm and a promise of an amazing surprise (the views) the following morning which really were breathtaking. The hotel is situated a 10min walk from main strip of oia, and there are quite a few steps to get down/up from the hotel but the exercise was welcomed! We had dinner at the hotel once, and room service another time and of course daily breakfasts. I must say the restaurant was very good with good service and really Lovely views (although not of the sunset which the hotel does not get). The room
Was large, well equipped and the daily fresh fruit were a nice touch. bathroom was huge with a jacquizzi. The infinity pool is a bit small but most pools in oia were smallish. The highlight of the hotel was staff who were very friendly and full of handy hints about what to do, where to eat etc.. Thanks Antonia, Irini and Maria!
Our only complaint was the haphazard nature of the room cleaning and turndown service. Some items never got replaced once used and the placement of white sheet on the floor for turndown service only happened once..I realize these are not huge deals but when u pay around €800 per night you except a 5star service all around.
Overall a lovely place to stay.

• Stayed: July 2011