“Oia at its best”

Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel
Ranked #17 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed 19 June 2014

Oia is a fantastic location early morning and evenings. Mystique is a great place to stay. If you come to Santorini and want a great view this is it but don't expect easy level access anywhere! A certain level of fitness is required. If you are claustrophobic spend money on a room that is he biggest you can afford as most of the rooms are set in the hills/caves and all vary in shape and size. We stayed in a wet allure room which was lovely but we didn't need two jacuzzis let alone one in the summer heat. There are two share pools in this small hotel but it is a long way to the beach. We still made the journey to the beach each day as we love the saltwater. It is however 25 euros each way by taxi and there is no complimentary shuttle from mystique to the beach. This would be my only criticism. Staff exceptional, experience overall treat! Oia village the prettiest on the island in my opinion. Would recommend this starwood property!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank becinsydney
There are newer reviews for Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel

Reviewed 11 June 2014

Having visited and enjoyed Mykonos a few years ago my wife P and I decided to try what we believed to be the "beautiful" Santorini on our most recent trip through Europe and, based on much TA advice, chose a cliff-side hotel with a view of the caldera: Mystique. I knew about Santorini's donkeys and the steep staircases, but nothing prepared us for this! (I'd assumed, foolishly, that like cliff-edge hotels in other places, eg Amalfi, Sorrento, Mykonos there would be a carefully concealed lift/tunnel arrangement allowing comfortable access and transport of goods, luggage, people etc between levels.) Certainly the photos of Mystique showed differing levels joined by staircases, but they didn't seem too daunting. What the photos didn't show was the almost vertical climb down a very rough staircase (the original Santorini builders must have called in the Maquis de Sade to lay their paths with pointed lava stones poking inches above the cement, deliberately, or so it seemed, designed to slice through shoe leather before lacerating delicate soles. High heels country this ain't! Cobblestones seem gloriously smooth by comparison) before reaching reception, where we were told, as SPG Platinum members, that we had been upgraded. Unfortunately for us (and the porters) this meant a journey to the far end of the resort, about 100 metres as the crow would fly but at least 200 on the up/down/up/down, mainly rough pathways. Our upgraded room was a "Wet Allure" which had an outdoor bath with sides so high I would have found difficulty climbing into it (or out) in my youth. Inside was a nice but smallish room, another filled with an exercise machine which seemed a little superfluous given the exercise entailed going from reception to the room, and a bathroom that I suspect the Maquis designed with Houdini in mind. Even our hotel escort conceded the bath/shower would be almost impossible to enter without major contortions, and even then standing upright would have ensured head injuries for anyone above 1.6 m high (if their head survived clambering into the tub area). Fortunately for the porters we agreed our remaining (heavier) luggage should be kept at reception until a room with a walk in shower was located. Our replacement, an ordinary Allure as originally booked was light, airy, with a spa that we found impossible to enter but might appeal to the more agile, and a shower with a small but manageable entry step. Again those not height challenged needed to exercise care with the rainshower, but the suite itself was pleasant enough, with a good view over the caldera from the outside veranda. It appeared the season had just begun so the resort was in shakedown mode when we arrived, which perhaps excused the kitchen's difficulties that night (three separate tables either rejected or just didn't eat their lobster)! It was still cold and except for a few diehards (they'd paid to go there and were damned well going to eat outside even if they got pneumonia) most patrons elected to use the internal section, which wasn't designed for crowds, but the staff, for whom I have nothing but praise, managed more or less ok. But the big problem was the steps: simply too daunting for us to mount regularly, we faced the prospect of being imprisoned in our room for a week or moving elsewhere. Two days later we moved to the sister resort, Vedema (see separate review) where we should have gone in the first place. Although management noted and agreed with our problems they didn't offer any rebate of our pre payment for the week: I didn't expect it, but is something to remember about hotels which insist on a substantial deposit or full pre payment for a booking: check everything out carefully before you pay and take note of any criticism :it might not be justified, but then again it might.
Don't get me wrong: the staff were excellent, and did everything they could to try to help. We felt for them as they trudged down the steep paths and stairs, carrying not just luggage but all the supplies for the restaurant on the lower level, and all the garbage,laundry etc up the cliffside. Young and fit as they were, even many of them had to pause, sweating and heaving, to regain their breath from time to time. Australian OHS laws obviously don't apply on Santorini or the cliff face hotels would all be closed.
Mystique is probably a very nice place if you're young, fit, and don't mind either hiking up and down steep cliffs throughout the day or spending all day in your room (honeymooners please note the Panini with grilled white eggplant, tomato feta and basil is exceptional). But if you're older, have arthritis, heart or other health problems, tender feet or knees (or like wearing high heels) this is not the place for you.

Room Tip: Unless you like rough walking, ask for something close to reception/restaurant. Make sure you bring...
1  Thank Russell S
MystiqueOia, Operation Manager at Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

Dear Valued Guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your recent stay at Mystique, a Luxury Collection Hotel as well as for dedicating time to write a review.

We highly appreciate your words of praise for our associates, who take great pride in their work and providing excellent service.

The village of Oia, where Mystique is located, is built along a volcanic cliff and all buildings have a complex architectural formation. This results in many steps up and down which are required in order for the hotels to be approached from the main road and to preserve legislation of this protected settling.

We are always trying to allocate to our valued guests the best possible room at the time of check in and we are truly sorry you have found location and layout of your upgraded suite not as per your expectations. Being a hotel built on the cliff, all suites are actually traditional caves and are different in style and character from a tradition hotel room. Let me point out that Mystique has received several awards, for our design and conception, however we fully understand and accept that that layout of your suite was not according to your personal taste.

Thank you once again for staying with us and for offering us the opportunity to demonstrate our outmost commitment to deliver the highest level of service and we do hope your road will bring you again to the beautiful island of Santorini and Mystique!

With kindest regards,

Dragana Kakouratou
Operation Manager

Reviewed 10 June 2014

Stayed based on a last minute decision to go to Santorini for the weekend, and their connection to the starwood chain. Got a lovely room and enjoyed the weather. Breakfast was divine with a
Overly lookout. The only minor downside, the bath was a little dated and hard to climb into and the sun beds in the balcony faced the wrong way and couldn't be moved easily, but overall a very pleasant stay, location and outlook! Staff were also friendly.

Room Tip: Not too close to the pol, restaurant or reception seems good
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank L M
Reviewed 9 June 2014

Our honeymoon stay in early May was nice, although a little bumpy. The staff is really the best part of this hotel, everyone is very friendly and willing to help. Of special note were Kostas who showed us into the hotel, Georgia the manager who is very personable and gracious when addressing our concerns, the two bald men working at the restaurant (I missed their names unfortunately), and the two waitresses (also missed their names!) serving breakfast. The cave-like atmosphere of the room was really special, unlike anything we had experienced, and the views were unforgettable. We were satisfied with the cleanliness of our room, and the fresh fruit each day was a nice addition. The hotel itself is just a short walk from Oia town. We had lunch at the hotel twice, once at the restaurant and once through room service, and both times the food was tasty and nicely prepared. The hotel concierge (a woman who's name I don't remember) made a reservation for us at Sunset at Ammoudi, and it was probably the best meal we had during our entire stay. I also want to recommend the 5 hour catamaran sunset cruise around the island - one of the highlights of our trip.

The bad parts of our stay were not in and of themselves overwhelming, but when put together ended up being frustrating. We had some problems with our whirlpool tub, our safe, our bathroom drain, the electricity, the water pressure, and our breakfast. Some of these things were out of the control of the hotel, like the electricity and the water pressure - these are problems all across the caldera. I tried to alert the staff as quickly as possible when other problems arose. I do understand why a hotel such as mystique wants their customers to report issues immediately - things sometimes go wrong, and it is the only way they have of addressing any problems. They are not mind readers or magicians. But after some time the guest begins to feel like a nuisance when calling to report problems, and it becomes uncomfortable. I must say that the saving grace was Georgia and her apologies at check out. Not only was she sincere in her concern, but she also covered our extra charges (such as our two lunches) which was a really nice gesture.

I guess the bottom line is that this is a nice hotel with a well-meaning staff, but even in nice hotels things can go wrong, especially in a remote area like Santorini. The most important thing is that the hotel makes an effort to address the problems, and make the customer feel as though their business is important to them. This hotel did both of those things, and I would stay there again.

Reviewed 7 June 2014

We stayed at Mystique for our honeymoon the first week of june.We had an exceptional stay and everyone from the staff was so nice and helpful ,they went beyond their way to make us feel that this was our best stay of the entire trip.
Our room , a wet allure suite had a very nice outdoor jaccuzzi which we enjoyed so much, especially during the evening enjoying our wine with view,oh what a view!!
Thank you Mystique!
we will be back on our anniversary.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank JOANNA N
Reviewed 27 May 2014

Me and wife are celebrating our 20th anniversary and had high hopes. It has been 3 hrs since we have walked in to our room (room# 15) and let me be very honest why this has to be pure rip off.

1. Bathroom shower has major issues. As you take shower, there is no way for the water to drain. You are standing in the puddle of soapy, dirty water. I got in the shower not realizing there is issue and I could not stand it. Got out in the middle of shower. What a start?

2. Bathroom sink gets filled with water and takes forever to drain.

3. The worst wi-fi in the world.

Called the hotel (may be 8-10 times) and first they send a plumber and they realize there are issues. Called and spoke with the supervisor, she came and showed her the issues. She offered me a room, smaller and less appealing view than room #15, just b'se shower works there. Kidding me.....

I am SPG GOLD and I am basically offered a downgrade. Moreover, she thinks we are here for 2 nights (we're here for 5 nights). No attention to details. Also we arrive to the hotel at noon time and we're told rooms were not ready and I understand that. They told that guest have checked out at 12:30 and it may take time (which is OK by us). We took walk towards Oia town to get our familiarize. We were told by 2:00 it should be ready. If there is something wrong with this bathroom, why would you assign this room to your guest without fixing it. Bathroom sink is still draining and making noise as I am typing this (no kidding).

There is almost no wi-fi. I understand, this ain't silicon valley, but please let your guest know that you may have no connection or slowest connection. Technician came to help me connect and left by saying "we're working on increasing the speed". Thank you Mystique.

I would never stay here and I would not recommend this. I am not being nose picky. Try taking shower in puddle, try washing hands in dirty water, stay without internet and you will know.

As I said hopes were high...but this place is a pure dump. Cannot stand this place.

58  Thank 1,931,092
MystiqueOia, Ιδιοκτήτης at Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 June 2014

Dear guest,

We are really sorry that you have not enjoyed your stay at Mystique. We understand that the issues that you mention in your review, were prior to offering you the upgrade and the free breakfast, both of which you were constantly asking since your arrival. To be honest we always upgrade our guests without being “forced”, given that our availability permits.
We regret that you will not be in our repeaters list and we would like to mention that any comment should always be objective and not expressed as a method of pressure to succeed a goal.

Yours faithfully,

Antonis Eliopoulos

Reviewed 26 May 2014

I work at a lot of resorts around the world and it was so refreshing to walk into a resort and have real life be even more spectacular than the photos they have online. The view from this resort is something special. A different perspective than most other views of the Caldera from Oia. Rooms are clean, crisp and luxurious. I think all have private terraces with actual lounge chairs, not just a table and chairs (which is a plus for a resort in Oia). Staff are so friendly and go out of their way to make sure you have everything you need and more. I was here for a wedding which if anyone is looking to get married, this property makes for an incredible experience for everyone in attendance. Planners and catering staff I worked with went above and beyond! The food at Charisma was beyond wonderful (particularly loved the Sea Bass) and the secret wine cave on property is a must do. They are about to open a new restaurant as well, which looks even more amazing if that is even possible. Yes, many steps from the resort to the street, but this is typical for many luxury hotels in Oia I have been to. Don't worry, there is a bench at the top where you can sit for a moment, take in the view and catch your breath.

Room Tip: The resort is spread out, which is great as there is something for everyone. If you think you will b...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Oia
Andronis Luxury Suites
Katikies Hotel
Katikies Hotel
#14 of 56 in Oia
Perivolas
Perivolas
#18 of 56 in Oia
Iconic Santorini, a boutique cave hotel
Kirini Suites & Spa
Kirini Suites & Spa
#11 of 56 in Oia
Atrina Canava 1894

Been to Mystique Luxury Collection Hotel? Share your experiences!