I am writing this review sitting on the balcony behind Niko's office... We checked out at 11:00am this morning, but had booked a late flight out of Santorini, wanting to maximize our last day here. Niko, consistent with his outstanding hospitality all week allowed us to store our bags at his office and let us hang out by the pool all day - savoring every last drop of the Santorini sun before we reluctantly head to the airport.
I was a little concerned upon arrival at the airport as the taxi driver that was to meet us - arranged by Niko - was no where to be found. After waiting about 10 minutes I called Niko and he assured me the taxi driver would be there... sure enough, about the time I hung up the phone, the driver appeared. No doubt hung up in traffic through Fira. About 30 minutes later, we were greeted by Niko and checked in. We were celebrating our 10 year wedding anniversary, and Niko presented us with a bottle of wine made from his family's grapes and when we arrived in our room (Afoura), there was a bottle of white sparkling wine for us as well!
Afoura is a traditional cave house, a deep room with a kitchenette and sitting room at the front end and the bedroom area at the back. Off to the left immediately upon entering is the bathroom. This was a large sized room for the two of us, but completely comfortable. There was a faint smell when we first moved into the room... I think maybe from the room having been closed up prior to our arrival. This smell quickly went away upon opening the windows.
The bathroom - carved into the wall of the caldera, just as the room, is not small, but has a low ceiling, The 'shower' is a large jacuzzi tub with an handheld shower attachment. There's a place to park your bottom on the side of the tub closest to the wall (kind of in the corner) and it's a perfectly serviceable shower. I mention this not to disuade you from booking, but just so you know what to expect.
The pool is perfect, just large enough for the number of guests, although only a few manage to get hot at the same time and get in to cool off. There are plenty of chairs and lounges and umbrellas.
It's a family affair here at Filotera. Niko and his family take a lot of pride in managing their property. We found it clean and everything was in working order.
The location is very good. It's got roughly the same view as the much more expensive Katikies (tho we did look longingly at Katikies and their pool side service - food and drinks - then remembered the price delta and looked at Niko's wonderful property and were once again happy)! It's near the end of the Oia pedestrian sidewalk, and at first I feared 'too far outside main Oia'. I couldn't have been more wrong. We avoided the 'crush of humanity that decends on the point of Oia for sunset everynight, and were seconds walk of markets, tavernas and one of the best restaurants in town - Feredini.
Niko arranged breakfast on our patio every morning, and it was great. Breads, pastries, yogurt, fruit... all in varying combinations. Each morning was a surprise, but a pleasant one each morning.
I researched MANY places in Oia in this budget range, and I went to many of them to check out the options I had passed up. They were all similar, but I have to say that of the places I was considering, none of them, when viewed in person made me second guess my choice.
Location - outstanding
Hospitality - outstanding
Price - for Oia, it was a good value :)
Niko goes out of his way to recommend some activities and places to eat, but I found that the things I had researched and decided to do fit better with the expectations of our trip than what he had recommended... Not saying his recommendations would have been bad, but he points you to some of the more 'mass market' type activities, and we were purposely looking for smaller, more intimate (albeit slightly more expensive) experiences.
At the end of the day, in this budget range, I could not recommend someplace more!
Bravo to Niko and his family for making our 10 year wedding anniversary trip everything we hoped it would be!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Portray your Santorini holiday with exclusive experiences. Santorini... A half-moon shaped paradise with dove-white houses and superb suites, engulfed by the calm cobalt blue Aegean Sea and cherishing volcanic sandy beaches all around. A magical place on earth, an island that constitutes a top international destination seen in personal wish-lists of millions of people worldwide! You have made your dream come true and you are finally here! This small island certainly looks nothing like what you have left back home. You are not only mesmerized by the beauty of the 'black diamond' of the Aegean, but eager with enthusiasm to portray your holidays with exclusive experiences. Oia Luxury Suites are waiting for you! Brand new. Unbeatably luxurious. Memorable holidays in the Aegean archipelago. Relax and take a breath of fresh air. The landscapes will overwhelm you, the sunsets will enchant you, the history will fascinate you! You have made the perfect decision, having selected to stay at a beautiful boutique hotel in the atmospheric settlement of Oia in Santorini - the heavenly, brand new Filotera Suites, which is bound to offer you an incredible and memorable stay, thanks to its quality services and its perfect Oia private pool. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Agoda, HotelsClick, HRS and HotelQuickly so you can book your Filotera Suites reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Filotera Villas Hotel Oia
- Filotera Suites Santorini/Oia