“Exceptional and extraordinary”

Ranked #36 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Bangkok, Thailand
“Exceptional and extraordinary”
Reviewed 14 August 2012

Ecoxenia surely isn't your typical Santorini hideaway. You do not have a caldera view but it's a great property with a beautiful, tranquil garden - which is a stunning achievement on a desert island! Perfect to relax of the hustle and bustle of Oia which is only 1 mile away. The owners are amazingly friendly, arranging for anything you wish for and having great advice on where to go and what to do. Don't miss out on the fabulous Delfini tavern close by where nana still cooks herself and you feel you have landed Ina big fat Greek family get together....

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Sebastian746

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Alberta, Canada
Reviewed 3 August 2012

If you are looking for a beautiful refuge place away from the thousands of tourists but still close to Oia, Ecoxenia is perfect. No more than a three minute drive up to the car rental Oia parking lot, or 15 minutes by foot. Ecoxenia is also only a 150 metres from a quiet beach. This beach extends east to Baxedes and Kolombous, which are much quieter and less developed than Kamari and Perissa. At dusk I enjoyed walking west from Kolombous along the quiet beach, and marvelled at the amazing sunset once I reached Ecoxenia. I also enjoyed the beauty of Ecoxenia's well designed and maintained garden, especially when the dry savanah conditions surrounding Ecoxenia are considered. The internet pictures are accurate. The lush garden (and jacuzzi) is a serene quiet refuge from all the tourists on the ferry, developed beaches, and Oia or Fira. And Chris, our host, does an excellent job welcoming you into this slower restful refuge. Chris will invite you into the nice reception area of the garden and offer you a drink. My wife, Chris, and I enjoyed iced cappucinos and relaxed easy conversation. Chris gave us a map and made helpful suggestions, including an excellent restaurant in Finikia, which we would not have known otherwise. Chris knows the island well, since he has lived on Santorini for twenty years.
Ecoxenia met our family's needs. Our suite was spotless and clean,
perhaps a bit tight for five people. Bed matresses were good, all sleeping well. Airconditioning was effective.Bathroom and shower were excellent. Kitchen and appliances were very good. We appreciated the daily sevice. Overall value was excellent when considering the price.
We wish we had spent more time at Ecoxenia as we were busy exploring the island during the day. I would have enjoyed reading a book on our balcony overlooking the garden, taking in one more sunset, or using one of the free bikes to explore north Santorini.
We wish Chris all the best as he resumes teaching physics to secondary students in September.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank roosten
Galway
Reviewed 10 March 2012

I stayed here with friends in one of the triple rooms on the first floor, and I can't wait to return with my husband... the hotel is very romantic, which was, sadly, a bit lost when you're traveling with friends.

In any event, upon arrival, we were greeted with drinks, an appetizer, and maps of the area, while our bags were brought to our room. The area surrounding Ecoxenia is a bit desolate and the topography is almost desert-like, which just serves to make the gardens on the premises feel more lush. Our room had its own patio with deck chairs from which we could watch the better portion of the magnificent Santorini sunset. As for the rooms, the beds were comfortable, the bathrooms were clean, Wifi was fast, and the kitchenette was suitably outfitted with pots / pans, etc.: there were even supplies for coffee and tea (including small cartons of milk!), as well as cold bottles of water. Ecoxenia also has bicycles that you can borrow to roam around the island (although, after seeing the Santorini roads and witnessing the way in which cars whip around the corners, we thought better of borrowing the bikes!). Plus, the hot tub as heavenly - particularly later in the day when the water was still warm, but the outside temperature was dipping back down.

All of the serenity, however, does come at a cost: the property is about a 20 minute walk uphill to Oia, and about a 15 minute walk to the local black-rock beach. All of this is to say if you mind exerting youreself in the Greek sun, either rent a car / scooter or stay closer to Oia. We thought it was lovely, though, and I look forward to returning soon!

• Stayed April 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank aroush1
Florence, Italy
Reviewed 1 September 2011

We stayed at ecoxenia this august and it was a wonderfull stay. Chris the Owner is really an excellent guest and the studio are managed in a very perfect way. He is very helpfull and all the complex garden, spa, etc. are very nice. The rooms are clean and have all the conforts. We will go back to ecoxenia again fore sure. The location is very near to the beautifull Oia and also from our balcony we had a romantic view of the sunset. I strongly raccomend this place!

• Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Baless
Yakima, Washington
Reviewed 16 August 2011

My vacation in Santorini was made complete with my stay in Ecoxenia. The service was great. The owners/hosts were unfailingly welcoming and warm. Kristofer took time explaining the geography of the island and made helpful recommendations. He went out of his way to help me get to the hotel and back to the airport. The room I was in (good for 1-2 people) was vey clean, elegantly simple and unpretentious. I had a gorgeous view of both the sunrise and sunset. The bed had a right firmness to it. The kitchenette provided me with everything I needed. The bathroom was basic and clean. Water is not scarce, and to add to that, potable. They had excellent wi-fi, which helped me get in touch with friends and family over the net. The location is such that you're walking distance (though uphill) to Oia, but far enough to be away from the hustle and bustle of people. Their garden is very peaceful, as was their jacuzzi. You can hear yourself in this place, being so quiet and serene. The only thing I didn't quite like was that I could hear my neighbors. I would definitely recommend this inn to anyone! It has great value.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled solo
4 Thank rossmd1
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 May 2011

Ecoxenia is the most lovely place. It`s in a quiet location, away from the bustle of Oia, two minutes from the sea. You have a clear view of the famous Santorini sunset. It feels a little wild, and is very romantic. This is a place to forget the stresses of the world. The room we had was clean, the hosts friendly and helpful. Good value for money. Can`t praise this place enough really. Wish I was there now.

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Pandanao
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 May 2011

This hotel made our trip to Santorini the best it could ever have been. It is at a quiet location, helpfully close to the beautiful town of Oia, just 3 minutes away by scooter (and possibly quicker if you rent a car) - so you have convenience and privacy in a package. Christopher our host was warm, kind and extremely helpful throughout our week's stay. He welcomed us with drinks and gave us a run-through of interesting things to do/places to eat in the whole of Santorini. Christopher's family were also very kind and helpful. The room we stayed in was very comfortable and well-equipped, which included a kitchenette. The balcony gave a superb view of the sea and sunset - where I proposed to my girlfriend who is now my fiancée. We had a great time spending the day-time exploring the various cities in Santorini and always came back to an immaculately serviced room. The BBQ, jacuzzi and deckchair facilities were a bonus. The hotel also fitted a better wifi reception during our stay, which made great internet access from within our room. This place made our holiday perfect!

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple