“Excellent place to stay when visiting the most beautiful island on the planet!”
Review of Ecoxenia

Ecoxenia
Ranked #36 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Reviewed 11 April 2014

We stayed here for five days, and it was fantastic. The accommodations were simple, but met our needs. There was a balcony available off of our unit with beautiful views of the Oia sunsets that travelers rave about! There was a small kitchenette available so that you didn't have to eat out for every meal. There were bicycles available to rent for a quick ride into town.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Marisa J

Reviewed 5 December 2013

Ecoxenia is truly a sanctuary! It is tucked away in the east coast of Oia, away from the hustle & bustle of touristy Fira... Christopher and his wife Maria & Pedro keep this lovely property in excellent shape. We love our studio. It was spotless, the linens were crisp and came with a kitchenette & private terrace. The room was cleaned everyday. The bathroom is spacious & there is hot water all day & good water pressure. There is also a beautiful landscape lush big garden facing the sea with plenty of sun loungers, tables/chairs, hammocks and a jacuzzi to read a book or gaze at the stars, sea or watch the beautiful sunset. There is also a spit (Santorini BBQ grill) for the guests. The best of all is the wonderful host, Christopher who is very helpful and knowledgeable about Santorini. We enjoyed the long conversations with Christopher and we feel like a family not guests. Thank you, Christopher to your warm hospitality. We had a wonderful time at Ecoxenia. Josephine/Teddy Note - I have checked off Excellent for Fitness Centre & Restaurant - by that I meant Natural Fitness Centre - where you can go walk for miles on the beach, walk to Oia and along the caldera to Fira, or from Oia along the trails to Amoudi Bay. I believe that is the best fitness one can get so readily available :) As for Restaurant there is none on Ecoxenia but if go to Oia, which is about 1km, there are plenty excellent restaurants.

Room Tip: All rooms are great!
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank happyjose
Reviewed 1 December 2013

Very rarely does one travel to a hotel wherein the owner comes forward to help you with the luggage, takes you for a walk around the property, rolls you a cigarette and then makes hot coffee for you and your partner. This is a review of not only the hotel but also the owner, Christopher (and his brother, as he always says !!) . We loved our stay with him. An encyclopedia of knowledge , he can surely give you a lot of info about the good restaurants in the area and the car rentals as well. Speak to him about anything you need or want. Agreed the hotel is a bit far from Oia (20 mins, and no one gives you lifts in an uphill walk :( and it is a bit for someone who is not used to a walk!!) . Ask him for a lift and he will oblige. A wonderful person and a great guide on our short trip to Santorini. Thumbs up :)

PS : Carry a insect repellent as the flies can be an irritant. For guys loving a garden , book the lower rooms

Room Tip: For guys loving a garden , book the lower rooms
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank sidraina
Reviewed 24 November 2013

Ecoxenia was ideal for my 1/2 retreat, 1/2 adventure solo stay on Santorini. Affordable, adorable well-maintained studio with fabulous grounds and hosts was the perfect finale to three weeks in Greece. Christopher is truly an ambassador of Greek hospitality. From the moment of arranging a taxi pickup and orienting to the islands charms and offerings over a glass of wine at the beginning of the trip, to sharing experiences of the locals at the end of my stay, I couldn't have felt more supported. The gifts for me included: A quiet affordable respite with a gorgeous view and well equipped for my needs; Attentive hosts who helped me not only navigate my stay in terms of experiences, but who enhanced it through sharing who they are; A well-rounded sampling of life on the island..(i.e. well beyond the cruise ship experience, seeing the transition from the tourists season of 25000 inhabitants to the off season when only 1/2 remain); An appreciation of the unique historical, agricultural and geologic conditions that have shaped the island (enhanced by books loaned to me during my stay and trips to the volcano, Akrotiri, the prehistoric museum); a twenty minute uphill walk to town, and downhill under the stars, which was great exercise; an authentic experience with locals on all parts of the island sharing what they love and what is challenging ; and an opportunity for me to comfortably slow down to plan my next steps in life. Ecoxenia was the ideal container for the last leg of an unforgettable Greek experience.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
4  Thank sosborn55
Reviewed 22 November 2013

I was travelling alone in Santorini, the couples-capital of the Greek Islands, so I chose this little getaway away from the main hustle and bustle of town. I'd read all the TripAdvisor reviews and they all raved about it. And rightly so. My experience with Ecoxenia was amazing.

Christopher, the host, made my trip feel like a VIP private tour of Santorini. With the flexibility of travelling on my own, Christopher took me under his wing, introduced me to all the local delights, including the local wineries, the best places to eat and also introduced me to his friends. By the time I left, I felt like a one of the locals. His hospitality went above and beyond anything I would have expected of a hotel owner and I am ever so grateful for the company and the local knowledge he provided.

I would highly recommend this hotel. It is beautifully decked out, quiet and suitable for all types of travellers, whether travelling alone, in a couple of with a family. On top of this, it is very affordable, a great price for the service you get. I loved this place and if I'm ever back in Santorini, I would not stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank FlickaE
Reviewed 10 November 2013

This beautiful property was the perfect haven. Close to Oia but far enough away to escape the bustle of the town. My studio apartment was more than pleasant with a beautiful deck to enjoy the sun or the sunset. The gardens are immaculate and welcoming. Christopher was a charming host, and seemed to know exactly what I required. I had a great vacation!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Mitzi D
Reviewed 23 October 2013

I honestly don't know where to begin- the host, the spectacular grounds, the perfect studio and porch overlooking the sea...This was by far our favorite place we stayed on our trip to Greece.

From my initial e-mail with Christopher I knew we had the right place. He was very patient and accommodating. He set up a shuttle for us from the port which I HIGHLY recommend (@12,50 euro/pp) and then a cab back when it was time to go (25 euro as well). Once we arrived at the grounds Christopher offered us beverages and went over the map of the island and the specifics- bakery, supermarket, restaurants, beaches, of Oia.

The studio itself is perfect- very spacious by Europe standards and was perfect for our needs. Keep in mind, we live in a very small city house. The studio had a hotplate, sink, and all necessary cooking tools, plates, etc.. Remember you're surrounded by farms so you may be woken up by a rooster or donkey bells but the experience is well worth the minor disturbance.

It's a 20 or so minute walk mostly uphill to town but the surrounding area is so beautiful I don't think you'll mind. If, however, you're not used to walking, Christopher or his brother will drive you up to town. If you're walking you'll notice dogs along the way- startling at first but they're tied up and my guess is guard the farm animals along the way. If you're planning on walking back from town after dark, bring a small flashlight! It really helped us navigate the first time.

Also if you're interested in visiting a beach, ask Christopher to point you in the right direction... we took a long walk one day to a more hidden beach he described and were well rewarded with beautiful views and only a few other people there at the time.

As I mentioned, the grounds are incredible... a garden, palm trees, hammocks, lounge chairs, a jacuzzi.. on our last day we simply relaxed out there and it was fantastic.

If you're looking for an off-beat spot to stay that will allow you to truly appreciate the real Oia, stay here. I can't wait to go back.

Thank you, Christopher!

Lisa

PS: Please see the link to my personal blog in my profile as I blogged about our Greece trip and included several other photos of the hotel there (though TripAdvisor won't let me post the direct link here).

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple