See what travellers are saying:
Reviewed 17 August 2011

Oia is the most beautiful place to stay in Santorini. Lauda Hotel has the best location (just in the middle of main street and very close where buses stop) with probably the best view of the caldera. Also, you don´t have to forget that this is a traditional hotel and apartment so don´t expect the luxuries of a five stars hotel because the concept is different but it is a wonderful experience. The swimming pool is great. If you compare the reasonable money you pay here with the price of other surrounding hotels the decision is absolutely clear. It is the best choice. Also, we had a problem with a forgotten bag in a bus and after reporting to the police, Nectarina (the lady in charge of the reception) helped us all the time and she solved the problem and sent it to me to our next hotel in Mykonos. Best service is impossible. You feel like at home. We travelled with a 18 months baby and she was very considered giving us a room on the very top in order to avoid many stairs (of course with a baby cot with no extra charge).

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank nacho280472
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I went for a holiday around Greece with my husband and my parents. We had already spent a few days in Crete and Athens before we headed to Santorini. I booked hotels in Crete and Athens based on Lonely Planet (midrange hotels) and both the hotels we stayed in were amazing till we reached Lauda in Santorini. I had booked 2 rooms over 3 months in advance based on the pictures I saw on their website. They do not take bookings by email so the only way to book is by calling them directly or faxing. The lady on the phone seemed friendly and asked me to call very few weeks to confirm my booking, which I did. I booked 2 rooms for 100 euros a night each and based on the pictures of the room and its location in Oia I thought it was a good deal. When all four of us reached there I was blown away by the view- but that’s where the charm ends. We were taken to our rooms right by the pool – but I was shocked at how small and unpleasant the rooms looked. There was no space for anything other than the bed- the taps in the washroom looked dilapidated and broken overall it was like a pigeon hole and completely different from what was on her website! My husband and I went up to request her to change our rooms but she insisted that all other rooms were booked and she could do nothing. We were all disappointed but very tired to argue more so just went out and had dinner. At night we got back and saw there were other empty rooms and also other people’s rooms were twice the size of ours. Honestly even with the view I would not pay more than 50 euros for our room, and putting up some different pictures on the website and giving us completely different rooms is plain cheating. The next day in the morning I again went and requested her but she said “ all our rooms are different they are all booked already”, and when I said “ I booked over 3 months in advance and what is on your website and the rooms we have are completely different” she had no answer. Anyways we went around looking and I found a place called “Filotera Villas” just down the street with amazing views, pool and gorgeous cave rooms, with great linen, fridge, good cutlery, Jacuzzi, shampoo, shower gels, plenty of towels, TV, stereo system, great high quality traditional furniture and paintings, your own little balcony – none of which our rooms in Lauda had – all for 140 euros a night. When I went back to Lauda I saw several more people checking in so it was again very obvious she was lying to me and just wanted to palm off those horrible rooms to someone. I told her we wanted to check out, so my parents, husband and I packed our stuff and headed out. At that point she said she could show us more rooms but I had enough of her lies so said I was not interested. When I went to make the payment of 200 euros for 2 rooms for one night – she was so rude, mean and aggressive and all the time her daughter sat in a corner and glared at me. I felt so angry and hurt – I had come all the way with my family for a good vacation, and here she cheats us by giving us crappy rooms completely different from her website and she had the audacity to give me attitude. Her question to me was “how much should I charge you?” I said we stayed 1 night so 200 euros for 2 rooms. She said that I should pay more because I had booked for 3 nights! I said the rooms she gave were completely different, and after asking repeatedly she was refusing to accommodate us. For 15 minutes she kept saying all sorts of horrible things to us, while refusing to listen to how she had not honored her side of the commitment by giving us such terrible rooms even after booking so far in advance. Anyways we finally left that place with a bad taste in our mouths. I was honestly very disappointed and felt cheated. I would recommend people to instead head to Filotera Villas just down the street with much nicer rooms and much warmer and honest owners. Lauda was a complete waste of time, money, energy and nerves and that lady’s attitude and behaviour was the worst I have seen in Greece!

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
9  Thank Aalisha_c
Reviewed 7 August 2011

Lauda hotel is one of the most friendly, beautiful and pleasurable places we have stayed in. In a bustling city like Oia in mid-July, it was a haven of calm where we could relax by the pool or on our room balconies, and the views were spectacular. We spent many hours chilling in the pool reading a book. The owners and staff were so warm and welcoming, and also offering great tips for where to eat and what to do in the area. Finally, it is unpretentious (unlike some of the upscale hotels in the Greek islands) In our 2-week experience of island hopping through santorini, paros and mykonos, it was the most memorable place we stayed in.

Room Tip: We had a suite with kitchenette and balcony - i would strongly recommend this option.
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank elizabethlndn
Reviewed 6 August 2011

Spent 3 nights at the Lauda Hotel at the end of June, and it was a wonderful experience. A week prior to arrival I called the hotel to see if they had availability, and Nectarina pencilled us in. She was so kind and helpful on the phone, and made me feel comfortable with their phone-in reservation system. Upon arrival, Nectarina greeted us warmly. She is a gem - so kind and friendly. I felt like she was my long lost cousin - as she treated me like family during my entire stay, and her smile and laugh were infectious. She makes the Lauda the charming hotel that it is. Nectarina showed us 2 room choices - one a few steps up from the pool, and the 2nd one right directly in front of the pool. Chose the one right on the pool level due to its proximity to the pool and the view of the caldera from the outdoor tables and chairs by the railing. The room was quite small and very basic, but had everything we needed, including a small refrigerator. Nectarina let us use a coffee pot, and we were able to enjoy coffee overlooking the caldera each morning. Perfection!!! We enjoyed meeting guests poolside, and the hotel had a fun, relaxed atmosphere. It is a family-run operation, and everyone aims to please. The pool is GREAT!! The location is in the heart of Oia, neighboring hotels cost 4 times as much! If you are looking for a good location, nice view of the caldera, reasonable rates, and a true Greek experience, then the Lauda is for you! If you had difficulty with stairs, look elsewhere. There were about 86 steps down to pool level - part of the charm of Oia! The Lauda met our needs perfectly, and we hope to return in the future. Go there! You will love it!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SenoritaSuzieCapeCod
Reviewed 4 August 2011

While we usually try to travel on a budget, we were visiting our friend in Oia who owns a bookstore there, and wanted to stay close. We splurged a bit on Lauda Hotel, but considering what we got for our money, I would do it again in a heartbeat! To tell you the truth, while it was a splurge to us, it was definitely a real bargain!

First, the location is breathtakingly beautiful. There are over 100 steps down to the rooms (which are built in caves, soooo cool!) so this hotel is not good for those who can't walk stairs. Otherwise, this location is fabulous, and the stairs are good exercise considering the amazing desire to relax and take in the surroundings. Every angle overlooks the sea, including from the pool (cool, clean, crisp, luxurious), and there was nothing better then preparing breakfast in our little kitchenette and enjoying it out on our patio. I could have stayed all day, everyday, by the hotel pool and felt satisfied with my vacation (which is not my usual travel style, especially not for an entire week).

The staff is really friendly and helpful, including helping to take your bags up and down the stairs. The buildings are well maintained and the rooms are cleaned daily (and cleaned well). I felt like royalty living in luxurious accommodations. It is also one of the most romantic places I've every stayed, although there are rooms set up for families and groups of friends also. I can't wait for my next stay at Lauda Hotel!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple