“At home in Oia”
Review of Aethrio Hotel

Aethrio Hotel
Ranked #4 of 34 Oia B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 January 2013

Stayed at Aethrio hotel for a week long yoga retreat. I arrived early and was one of the last to leave the group and the staff members were very friendly and accomodating. They knew my name immediately and remembered me and were always helping; from giving travels tips, ideas of things to do in town, sights to see, also helped me find another hotel for my two day return from Milos at a small, cheap hotel near the airport. I was warned about scheduled strikes ahead of time and would love LOVE to go back and stay with my new friends at Aethrio. This hotel is perfectly located and withing walking distance from just about any where you'd like to go in Oia and has beautiful views of the sunset. Nice pool, wi-fi, and a lovely free breakfast every morning. Georgia is such a sweetheart and took care of me like I was family. The only hard time I had in Greece were the mattresses, but I found that everywhere. Even though I came to be part of a yoga group, this hotel is perfect for a family getaway but also still quiet and calming for a solo or romantic getaway!

2  Thank CDCarriere

Reviewed 30 November 2012

I stayed at Hotel Aethrio with a large group of people this past September. The location of the hotel is great, right in the center of everything. Good restaurants, shops and cafes are within walking distance.

The hotel itself has an eclectic collection of rooms. They are all vastly different from each other. Our room was huge with a loft for the beds. However, it was oddly arranged. There wasn't a close or bureau for clothes. There was just a small wooden wardrobe in the center of the living room, which made it hard to unpack and get dressed conveniently. Our shower overflowed pretty much every day and ran into the small little kitchenette. On a plus side, we had a small little courtyard with chairs to ourselves. Some of the others in our group had rooms with balconies (and closets) that were much more comfortable. I would recommend going for one of those rooms.

The beds aren't the most comfortable. We had too small single beds in our room. The rooms are a great option if traveling with groups or families- not great for couples.

The hotel is charming with really interesting architecture. The staff is very friendly and helpful. The hotel was very clean in the rooms and in the public areas. The pool area is very pretty and relaxing; the water was still warm in September.

There were two large terraces with fantastic views of Santorini and the water. You can take your coffee or drinks up there and watch the sunrise or sunset. That was the highlight of this hotel.

Room Tip: Choose a superior room with a balcony
5  Thank dinake
Reviewed 6 November 2012

Well if you want the full experience of the most stunning island in the world, you need to stay here!

This hotel was in a great spot, was so clean and the pool and view from the pool is awesome, breakfast was lovely, and the girl at the desk (Georgia) was so helpful and very sweet. Catch a taxi to get here, the bus is also convenient if you don't have too much luggage to carry.

All guests have a private balcony to view the sunset away from the crowd, though watching at least once amongst the crowd is a must. Oia is where you want to be, if you're into the party scene then maybe stay in Fira or you'll need to catch the bus to and fro.

Would recommend this place to anyone, easily a 5 star experience!

Room Tip: Not sure you can go wrong here, this place is like a little town. Each room looks to be as good as t...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 4 November 2012

It's hard to explain but the rooms were very oddly designed. I felt like I was staying in a creepy cave. Two doors into the room - one door could only be un/locked from the inside and had a crazy steep/long stairway directly into the bedroom. The other door could be un/locked from inside and out but had a crazy steep/long stairway to the ground/courtyard. The doors and key/lock systems are old school so it was hard to tell if they were locked.

Bed was very hard and the breakfast was below average with flies everywhere (on the cold cuts and in the powered juices).

Caught the front desk manager oggling/checking out my wife in a creepy kind of way...didn't feel too comfortable staying there.

By the way, Santorini is a much better value, has more restaurant, cafes, bars, and clubs, is an easy 30-40min bus ride to Oia for sunsets, and is the central bus hub to all the beaches. The bus system is extremely easy to use so I highly recommend staying in Santorini and taking the bus out to the beaches or to Oia to catch the sunset and back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank J T
Reviewed 10 October 2012 via mobile

My husband and I just got back from a 5 day vacation in Greece. Luckily we decided to spend 3 days in santorini specifically at hotel aethrio! This place is gorgeous and everything you expect from a Greek hotel in santorini. Beautiful and unique apartment rooms complete with blue doors and shutters! We booked a studio but little did we know this really meant a foyer with a kitchen family room and an upstairs with the bedroom bathroom and an awesome porch complete with table and chairs and an awesome view of the pool. The staff were awesome! So helpful friendly and just overall great! The location is amazing. I would definitely recommend travelers stay in oia vs other parts of the island. All the beach towns are cool to see and travel to but oia is truly special. The included breakfast isn't fantastic but it's free coffee and toast! The pool is phenom and the hotel is just very authentic.

• Stayed: October 2012
Reviewed 23 September 2012

We hosted a yoga retreat here. The staff went out of their way to ensure everything was perfect for our stay. The rooms are traditional and basic. The pool is great and the location is perfect. Tucked away from everything but very close by. I would come again for sure.

Room Tip: Apartment bedrooms are not completely private from main sitting areas so just keep this in mind.
1  Thank ssmithyoga
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Budget hotel but good location. My wife and I weren't very happy with the hotel. The breakfast was very average and it isn't in the best part of Oia. Good sunset though and extremely friendly staff. What really ticked us off was the transport the hotel had arranged. The cab came good 30 minutes late to pick us up from the port and we almost missed our flight on the way back. Tip - Definitely do not book the cab through the hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple