“Warm Experience and Mesmerizing View”
Review of Thea Studios-Rooms

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Oia
Thea Studios-Rooms
Ranked #49 of 74 Speciality Lodging in Oia
Reviewed 6 January 2013

The experience with Thea Studio is quite unlike a typical hotel stay. The rooms were tastefully decorated with traditional furniture and personal touch; freshly picked flowers are put in the vase; cut and peeled seasonal fruits are placed on the kitchenette table, lighted lanterns are placed on the balcony table every evening....

In the two weeks there, we live in Oia leisurely like a local, in our balcony studio. In the morning, we are awake by the natural light as we kept the windows opened. We go out to get breakfast from a local mart or bakery steps away from the studio, then come back and enjoy the freshly baked goods on our private balcony. When the sun becomes unbearable in the peak afternoon, we retrieve back into the cool cave room for siesta. In the evenings, it's an easy stroll to the sunset strip. While we cannot see the sun directly from our windows and balcony, the reflection of the setting sun on the Aegean sea also creates a breathtaking view facing the studio. At nights, we sip wine and snack under the starry sky on the balcony. The full moon and constellation is beautifully visible under the Santorini sky.

Anna, who hosted us from Thea Studio, is especially helpful and provided us guidance with travel arrangements and accommodated our last-minute changes with the stay. Thanks for your hospitality that had made the Santorini experience so completed.

Room Tip: Pay Cash Only so ensure you take enough from ATM.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank SirahcY

Reviewed 7 November 2012

We were a group of 9 women traveling together. We had 2 apartments and 2 studios. Both were great. Very spacious with a little kitchen area. The rooms are simple, but tasteful. The location is awesome. There are several steps to take to the room, but don't worry they carry your bags for you. There is a little market right at the top of the steps which was very nice to have. The beds are a little hard and the towels, well, they are very thin and rough. But, you can see that they do not have a dryer. They hang everything out to dry. Believe me though, the view was well worth, thin towels, especially for the price of the room. It really was a great bargain. Anna and her family are so warm and welcoming. You can tell she really enjoys what she is doing there. There is free wi-fi on the shared balcony. There is no breakfast, so a few times we cooked our own, which was nice too. There is a little cafe very close by that had a great breakfast and a great view too. I really wish there was a pool, that would have made it perfect. Again, for the price.....
Hurry and go before it becomes too well known and you won't be able to get a room. Anna has just this year put it on the internet. This is a small family run place. I left my passport there and realized it while I was on the ferry towards Naxos. I called Anna and she had it on the next ferry! Thank you Anna and family for a wonderful few days!

Room Tip: Definitely go for a studio or an apartment. You will have a much more private balcony.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 October 2012

Incredible bargain. Great location in Oia. You have fantastic views and not too many steps down the mountain. Don't get excited when you come down though, the beautiful pool you see belongs t a private house. So close and yet far out of reach!! There is no pool in the studios, so beware if that is important to you. However, I think the value way overcomes this disadvantage. The studio I stayed in is the one with the bougainville view you see in the posted photos (i think it is #2) It is very comfortable. Bed in the cave end, a small table and day bed at the front. The private bathroom on the small side with hand-held shower, but comfortable just do not expect fluffy towels.(bring shampoo! And ask Anna for a hair dryer if you need one). In the kitchenette, you can boil water for instant coffee or tea (you can bring your own or buy it cheaply in the next door mini market). You can make pasta or eggs. Simple stuff. There is also a small fridge. The place is immaculate! Free wifi in your room and terraces. Be sure to buy wine to toast the sunset...
Unfortunately, the studio i stayed in, did not have a private terrace and it always felt weird to be walking by someone's room on the way to mine. They obviously had no privacy either. Be sure to ask for a private terrace if it is important to you. Also, be prepared to see properties sitting on top of each other. It is like cobblestoned caves. See pictures to get a sense of it. I can't stress that enough. Otherwise it is a bit of a shock. This is true for both hotels and restaurants in Oia. It doesn't take away from the experience i think it makes it more special. It is nice to look up and down and see it all. Especially at night when all the lights are on, it is a bit magic since the place quiets down and you can enjoy the night even though there are so many people around you (at least towards the end of the season).
It can be difficult to find so make sure you ask Anna for instructions. It is at the southern end of Oia, off the beginning of the pedestrian way. Near one of the famous churches with the blue roof. One stop before last on the bus from Fira. As I said earlier, perfect location, since you are within minutes of the restaurants, shops, etc. I arrived at night and Anna arranged for a cab ride from the airport that delivered me straight to the entrance to the pedestrian way where someone met me and carried my bags :) Strongly recommend it if fits your budget (€25 door to door).
I would stay here again and tell all my friends (and now you) about it. THANKS ANNA!!

• Stayed: October 2012, travelled solo
2  Thank Mtm12_12
Reviewed 15 October 2012

My friend and I spent 9 wonderful days at Thea Studios in Oia (there’s also a Thea Studio in Fira, they are not affiliated, don’t get it confused… I did at first). Honestly when my friend first made the reservation we were a bit doubtful, it all sounded too good to be true for the price charged especially since we were there in peak season. We took a chance and so happy we did. It turned out to be many times better than it was described on their website. Even when we stood on the balcony staring at the view we alternated between disbelief and complete giddiness at what laid before our eyes.

The studios are nestled among whitewash buildings and abundant pink of the Bougainville with a wonderful open caldera view. The location… can’t be beat, steps away from a minimart, restaurant, close to a travel agency, bus stop and bakery, it is right off the sunset walk, away from the noisy main crowds but still in the center of things. There are hotels immediately above, below and next to Thea Studios so they all share the same exceptional view except those hotels charge at least 2 to 3 times more(I got curious and googled them while I was there, so yes there is also good wifi signal!). Lack of a pool seemed to be an issue for some but for me, you can have a pool anywhere but only in Oia can you have that wonderful view and there is so much to do, why waste time in a large tub of water?

I stayed in both the studio and the double room at Thea. Both spacious and comfortable but the studio has a balcony which I loved, one of the best part of my stay is sitting out on the balcony early in the morning with a cup of coffee, easily done because there is a kitchenette with tea kettle, stove, refrigerator, pots and pans, dishes, wine glasses and utensils. My friend and I are obsessed with cleanliness and we found everything to be spotless. And it stayed clean throughout our stay because the cleaning lady comes every day and did a very thorough job. We were there in August and the air conditioning worked very well (but we found we did not need it on most nights), the beds were comfortable, perfect for a good nights’ sleep and restful siestas.

Thea is family owned and Anna who manages the studios is amazing, the face and heart and soul of Thea, she speaks English fluently and is helpful, friendly, sincere and warm without being a bit intrusive. She is involved in all aspects of running the studios and proudly so… and her little touches makes the studios even more special, the rooms are not the sterile rooms of a modern hotel, they feel more like a cozy home, large smooth rocks placed just so, fresh flowers, light gauze curtains over the door, candle lite lantern each evening. I was so spoiled by Thea studios and Anna, I left with the misconception that most Greek island hotels were similar to Thea Studios, I continued to travel thru the other Cyclades island for a month and found that though many hotels are family owned, none…none came closed to Thea studios, just on physical location and price they have all other beat but with Anna and her family, they leave all others far far out of sight.

I have done a bit of traveling and stayed in many hotels and Thea so far is my favorite. I think the final word is would I stay there again? Definite yes, I planned to take my family to Santorini in a year or two and we will most definitely stay with Anna again.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank DonkeyL
Reviewed 13 July 2012

What a gem!! We stayed for 5 nights and would do it all over again. Fantastic rooms, clean and big. Has its own kitchen, a/c and private balcony. Yes there is no pool but you are surrounded by beaches so who cares! The owners are so lovely and helpful, free wifi. Great location in Oia and an absolute bargain!

Room Tip: Go for a higher floor, you will definitely get a private balcony.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank EleniChara
Reviewed 3 July 2012

We spent 2 months travelling around Europe and our stay at the Thea Studio-Rooms was the best of all. After meeting us and escorting us to our cave house, Anna went away and came back carrying a tray with chilled wine and nibbles, we were surely in heaven! Don't think it's of a low standard because the price is low....it's a genuine bargain. We loved our cave house. It was super clean, spacious and COOL, even without using the air conditioning. It had a loft bedroom which was SOOOO charming. Without a doubt though, the million dollar view from our delicious little private terrace was enchanting. With a bottle of the local Ouzo (yum) or without, it simply can't be beat. You sit there looking down over your own personal postcard. Nearby are VERY expensive hotels and you are enjoying the same magic for a fraction of the price. We hired a smart car and toured all over the island and saw nothing better. It turns out that all the beautiful photos you see in books etc are taken on Santorini and you are snuggled in amongst the best of it. Just above is a wonderful labrynth of cobbled alleyways with great restaurants and shops. Less chaotic and prettier by far than Fira. It was so relaxing and beautiful that I never wanted to leave.
Add to all that your perfect hostess Anna. Nothing is too much trouble but she is not obtrusive. We had just fled Athens after being mugged and having our Ipad stolen. She offered us the use of her own computer in her own home. She was such an angel, it was like having an instant best friend. We felt safe again. I can't praise her highly enough. Not only that, she upgraded us at no extra cost WOW! Thank you again Anna. From Ursula

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
5  Thank NiolandUrsula
Reviewed 13 June 2012

I stay at Thea studios-rooms oia and I had a parfect holidays, from this year they change all the studios and rooms, new painting new decoration !!!
Perfect stay and perfect prices !!!
I will return for sure !!!!

• Stayed: May 2012