“Perfect Location”

Ranked #25 of 56 Hotels in Oia
Chicago, Illinois
“Perfect Location”
Reviewed 15 October 2012

Trying to book a hotel from halfway across the world is not easy. I wanted to be in a traditional white-washed cave house with amazing views of the caldera, within walking distance to all the shops and restaurants. This place met all of my basic criteria so after reading all the other reviews, I made the leap of faith and booked it online. When we got there, we fell in love. I paid for the airport transfers which made everything so much more convenient. A man was waiting with our names on a card at the airport. Then another hotel staffer was waiting at the end of the street near the hotel to carry our suitcase. The hotel is beautifully located in a pedestrian zone that sparkles at night. We were served a bottle of local sparkling wine as a welcome to our room. When we awoke the next morning to see the caldera view, it was breathtaking. We probably spent the first 5 hours just looking at the view without even leaving the privacy of our hotel terrace. Breakfast was lovely, served right at our own little table. I had read reviews that said the hotel is only half-updated, and that is true. The bed was small, low, and hard. The towels were not plush, in fact probably over-washed and fraying. The TV....? We didn't even turn it on but it was small in a corner. But if you want absolute luxury, then you have to pay those prices. This place was perfect for what we wanted and I would recommend it to those who prioritize location, view, and service over some of the other features of hotels. Too bad we couldn't stay longer!!!

Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank JulianaKV11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
  • Turkish first
Dorchester, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 1 October 2012

This hotel will not let you down. The rooms were comfortable and cozy yet spacious. The shared balconies are surprisingly private since people mostly keep to themselves. (though some rooms do have private balconies). The staff was unbelievably helpful! Breakfast is sent down to your room and set up for you on the balcony as soon as you call in the morning. They also helped us book a boat tour which we loved. Everything about staying here was easy and wonderful (except the stairs, but those are everywhere!). It's a great place to watch the sunset and looks gorgeous as you wake up to the morning side beating down on all the white cave houses. You also have a nice view of Fira and the caldera from any room here. It's all amazing! And easy to get to from the bus stop in Oia. It's all together wonderful.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
Imerovigli
Reviewed 23 September 2012

Armeni Village is a beautiful boutique hotel centrally located in Oia but somehow disconnected from its crowds. Exquisite views and friendly efficient service made this a brilliant place to stay. There are a lot of steps so not ideal for small children or those with difficulty managing steps. For everyone else, great aerobic workout.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled solo
Vernet-Les-Bains, France
Reviewed 10 September 2012 via mobile

Loads of people told us how wonderful Santorini is but you have to see it to believe it. Oia is by far the smartest place on the island with sea views on both sides and Armeni has just about the best position of all to enjoy the caldera. Nestling on the side of the cliff, it really is a very special place. Our room is actually a suite with large sitting area with TV, spacious bedroom and well equipped shower room. Breakfast is served to order in your room or out on the terrace. The staff are friendly and helpful. There are two very small pools which are really only for a refreshing dunk not swimming.
Turn either way at the top of the steps and there are loads of smart boutiques selling very nice arty stuff and restaurants of every price range. The local wine is surprisingly excellent. It would be a fabulous place to spend your honeymoon.

• Stayed September 2012
Reviewed 27 August 2012

The location and view are amazing, among the best I have ever seen in my life.
Breakfast served on a private terrace in front of your room overlooking the caldera is worth the price on its own.
Staff was friendly and helpful (I asked for some glue, they did not have it in-hosue so they bought it for me and did not even charge me. Also, after checkout time they let us shower before our transfer to the airport not in a common bathroom in a superior room which was available - both of these things were very nice and appreciated, I would not give them for granted in any property and definitely mean "kudos" to the staff!).
Overall definitely a positive experience.
On the down side, from what I have seen, there are more modern properties in Oia, albeit they come at a price (Armeni village is not cheap in absolute terms but relatively cheap if you compare it to other properties with a similar view). Our Standard room (number 9) was very basic and probably needed refurbishment - especially the bathroom resembled more that of a 3-star rather than of a 4-star property. However we have also seen a Superior room (number 12), which was only slightly more expensive and yet in a completely different class (very recent refurbishment) - too bad it was not available when we booked! Our shower was completely lacking water pressure, which I thought was a general issue at Oia but after using the shower in room 12, which was perfectly fine, I realized that might have also been a room-specific issue. This leads me to think that the few minor issues we encountered in our room had to do with the fact that we booked quite late, at the peak of the season and found the "last available room" which normally tends not to be the best at any property... Probably more "room 9 minor issues" rather than "Armeni village minor issues".

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We spent 3.5 days in Santorini…the most beautiful place on earth! We could have easily spent a week or more in this heaven.
6 of us (3 couples) that are all about 30 years old travelled here for a vacation. This hotel is awesome awesome awesome! I personally dealt with George via email and phone calls to make the arrangements and he was nothing but a pleasure. I can be a little nervous and I do ask a ton of questions, but George never lost his patience with me. When we arrived to this hotel we were blown away by how gorgeous the view is. Its situated right on the caldera so you are surrounded by snow white cliffs and houses. It doesn’t get prettier than that. When I met George he knew which client I was right away and he was joking around with me about all my questions. He’s a young guy that has a great personality. We got rooms 4, 5, and 6 which all shared a terrace and the small pool was located right outside of our rooms. We were put in room 4 which was by far the better room, so if you can you should request room 4. We had a big living room area and a good size bedroom with an updated cave-like bathroom. We were very impressed. This hotel offered a fantastic view of the sea, volcano, and of the caldera that you can just sit and stare at for hours!. The service in the hotel was great, the location (Oia) was awesome too. This area isn’t as busy and bustling as Fira which we loved because you truly got the island feel. Fira will give you a more energetic, touristy feel. It only took about 10-15 mins to get to Fira so it wasn’t very far.
The only negatives I have to say about Armeni Hotel were that the breakfasts were monotonous. Every day you get served the same assortment of pastries, cereal, yogurt, egg, and bread. It would have been nice if they could mix it up so that day after day you aren’t forced to eat the same things, or at least the same flavor of things. Our shower was great but my friends didn’t like the showers in their rooms (rooms 5 and 6). Oh and keep in mind that because its on the Caldera you will have a lot of steps to walk to get to your room. May be problematic for the elderly or people with joint issues. Most hotels in Santorini will have steps though.
Some restaurants I recommend were Skala, Cacao e Pepe (probably the best Italian food ive had!!), China King (greattttt Chinese food), and there was a restaurant in Oia which we cant remember the name of but it says “Mediterranean food” out front and it was delicious!! They have a rooftop so you can watch the sunset too! To be honest, one thing we noticed about Greece in general is that the food was delicious wherever we went! Don’t go to Ochre! We went here because we heard it’s a really nice spot to get a view of the gorgeous Oia sunset. It was exceptionally windy here that we were just uncomfortable. I don’t know if it was that day or if its always like that, but I think its always like that. The service was terrible, but they were clearly understaffed. If they are known for their sunset drinks then I’d think they’d make sure they have enough staff. When we would try to take matters into our own hands or ask someone for help we got attitude. The only words we heard out of our server’s mouth was im sorry to every single table. We were dying to get out of there.
You must rent ATVs and drive around. We decided to rent the ATVs in Fira itself and we drove down to Perivolos which I highly recommend you do. If you rent the ATVs in Oia you’ll waste a lot of time slowly driving down the mountain to Fira and that drive isn’t really worth it (and it’s a bit unsafe). The drive from Fira to Perivolos was way more fun. We were driving on the roads amongst all the locals! We drove by vineyards and we stopped over to have a wine tasting. The view was awesome. Perivolos is where you can see the black beach and see all of the beach bars which are a fun time too. We went to JoJos which was fun and it looked like they’d have a great pool party here. Go bar hopping in Fira to places like Koo Club, and all of the other fun places on that strip. The view is awesome and the scene is great!
Santorini is a dream. I miss it already! It’s a place everyone must visit and I highly recommend you stay at Armeni Villiage. The location and service for the price cant be beat!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NYadvisor22
Rio de Janeiro, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed 7 August 2012

Its was a suprise for my family and I to find the hotel so well localized and with one of the best views of the Caldera. Both Maria and George made our stay perfect, from the booking of the hotel , the arrangement of a rent a car, thru all of our stay in wonderful Santorini. The rooms was beautiful, clean and spacious which made our stay enjoyable and restfull.

Room Tip: All rooms have a wonderful view...it all depends on the number of people which will styay in the roo...