“Never.”

Ranked #167 of 203 Restaurants in Fira
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We passed by it on the first day visiting Fira and the board of cactus juice caught our eye.
On the last day in Santorini we had time, walked to it and decided to try it.
The prices were not clearly written in the menu book and we were TOLD to pay 20 euros for 2 small glasses of cactus juices and finally no one sent us a bill to check how much indeed it cost. Five euros each would be already overpriced but in fact we were charged 20 in total.

Nice view but terrible experience. We then ended up with eating a budget meal to keep the expense in a reasonable range.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Atrocious, appalling. Never step foot if you respect yourself and the people with you. Someone needs to shut this place down.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

We've traveled yearly to Greece for the past 20 years and never experienced a longer wait time, or,more importantly, the worst food--ever. Avoid at ALL costs;this review comes from a 100% honest patron.

Reviewed 5 July 2014

I couldn't remember the name of this restaurant, but I knew it had something to do with cactus so I looked for that and was so surprised to read about other patrons' unpleasant experiences.

I have to agree that the food is incredibly overpriced, generally, I was almost outraged upon reading the menu. Especially the fish/seafood, which in my opinion should be less expensive, since there's so much of it around. However, I have seen similar prices in restaurants that offer "the view" so it didn't come as the biggest shock. Also, the menu is presented at the entrance, you can actually browse through it and ask questions, and maybe decide it's too expensive.

Having said that, I will write about *my* experience, which was actually rather pleasant. I was given a table on the pretty terrace, with a great view of Thira. The waiter was very polite, I didn't feel he was pushier than what would be normal here. He spoke good English, took my pictures and guided me through the menu. Even though I didn't order a lot of food, he didn't force me to.

I had the grilled octopus with cactus liquor sauce as a starter and dolmades (stuffed vine leaves) as the main dish. The cactus theme was what got me in there in the first place, I thought it sounded interesting. The grill as well, as you could smell that from the street and it was very inviting.

I really can't complain about the food. It was marvelous! The octopus was fantastic and the sauce spicy and fresh. The dolmades were also very tasty and large. I couldn't even eat all of them. I thought the octopus starter would be smaller, that's why I ordered more food. I did feel bad for not finishing them, because they really tasted great.

Like others have written, you will most probably be served a few slices of garlic bread with a creamy butter before the actual food arrives.

And yes, the restaurant is on the donkey trail so the smell is inevitable. But in all honesty, it's not the only restaurant on the donkey trail...

I wanted to pay with a card first, but on "second thought" the waiter preferred cash. If anything is the matter with this restaurant, like others imply, which I really don't know anything about, it was definitely better this way, I know for sure that my card details are safe and cash did the job just as well.

When the bill arrived, the waiter politely showed me all of the items I was being charged for. It was exactly as I had expected, plus the surcharge for the bread and butter (which isn't unusual, it's about 50-50 in these places, some will offer it, some will charge for it). So it really wasn't an unpleasant surprise, I knew I was going to splurge on this one. I don't usually eat dinner for 40 euros, but once in a while I indulge myself and this was quite alright because the food was delicious and the atmosphere very nice.

After paying, I was given a small dessert wine, on the house.

To be honest, I don't know if I was regarded as a pretty girl from Sweden or if the restaurant is into ripping people off. I read about the name change and maybe that's why I couldn't remember what it was called, I don't even remember seeing a name on the menu. I can only hope that the pleasant treatment I received will be applied to other customers as well and that maybe the owners start to reconsider their prices. If not, this is the way to lose customers, because people write reviews and spread the word.

To conclude, if it hadn't been for the very expensive dishes, I would have given this experience a full Excellent rating, because my dinner was very nice.

1  Thank cristinablendea
Reviewed 3 July 2014

We have just eaten at this restaurant and I couldn't get to my computer quick enough to write this and prevent anyone else from dining here!! Our bill came to just under €200 for 4 people and we only received four drinks, one appetiser and two mains. We were welcomed by a pushy older man who offered us a cactus cocktail each that was implied as 'on the house' and then tried to sell us into the seafood appetisers and fresh seafood per person however we had a vegetarian so decided against it. Luckily we did because looking at other comments we got off lightly. We received a basket of bread and butter, a standard on the house item and something we DIDN'T ORDER, and got charged €12 including €1 for each person who ate from the small butter cup. The meals that we did order didn't arrive until one and a half hours and by then the food cold and basic at best. And unfortunately we ate it because we were famished The appetiser plate was a grease filled pile of non-descript items not worth it's €30. The meat main was called a gourmet meat selection for two costing €70 which was nothing more than a cup full of stroganoff, cold fries and rice - have no idea how that was supposed to resemble a meat selection. The second main was a vegetable risotto the size of a baby's hand - a packet mix would have tasted better. We ordered all food to share as we had learnt in Crete that the servings were large in Greece, however this was not the case here. When it came to the bill, we asked for it three times and had to walk up to the cashier before we finally saw the bill. When we saw it, we were shocked with the price and were also slapped with a €12 'tax' on our bill, even after on the menu it said this was included in the price. When we confronted them on the food and cost, they palmed us onto the nastiest women we have ever met who pulled us into a quiet area away from everyone and started shouting at us after we said we didn't want to pay the full price for the meat tray. I have never met anyone or any place like it, and coming from Crete where you will find the nicest people ever, it was a shock to deal with this. After a half hour discussion on our concerns with this woman on the entire scam, they refused to budge and put the blame on us, we ended up paying the bill and never want to see that place again. Upon leaving we were discussing how upsetting the entire night had been and someone overheard, telling us that this has been happening for ages and they keep changing the name to avoid bad reviews, just like everyone else has said in their reviews. If you sit down at a restaurant in Fera and are offered a cactus cocktail, LEAVE IMMEDIATELY. This is the only time we haven't looked at trip advisor, big mistake. Never again.

3  Thank Londontravelchic14