“Astro Palace”

Ranked #9 of 80 Hotels in Fira
Toms River, NJ
“Astro Palace”
Reviewed 13 July 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Astro Palace for 4 days. The staff is helpful. The rooms are spacious and clean. On the first day, the wifi did not work, but after that it was fine. The breakfast selection was awful. Not a lot to choose from and only one type of fruit. We did not eat dinner or lunch at the hotel. Room rate included fruit and wine but we were not given it until we asked where it was. The pool and pool bar were nice. If you need a taxi be sure to tell the front desk you need it half hour before the actual time. When asking the front desk to call a taxi we waited over 40 minutes each time for the taxi to arrive. The location of the hotel is nice. It's a ten minute walk into the center of FIRA where you will find lots of retaurants and shopping. Overall, the hotel was nice but next time I would visit a different area of Santorini.

• Stayed July 2014

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (156)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
Reviewed 12 July 2014

The staff was extremely friendly and the hotel was nice - 4 star. The only downside to the hotel was the location. While it was in the middle of the island, it still had an ocean view. The hotel had a decent spa and rooms were mediocre in terms of size.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Toms River, New Jersey
Reviewed 10 July 2014

We had a great experience at Astro Palace. The breakfast was not that great, there is not a lot to choose from. There are only 35 taxis on the Island of Santorini, so taking the bus is more reliable. On our last day we had made reservations with the front desk to have a taxi come get us to take us to the airport an we waited over 30 minutes passed the time we expected. If you need a car, I recommend you telling the front desk an earlier time because the taxis take an extremely long time.

The staff was very friendly and welcoming, and the rooms were very spacious.

Next time, I would probably stay in Kamari Beach because there is more going on, Thira is a very quiet area.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Sara O
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is located just East of Fira town (which is great) but note that there is a decent uphill walk from the hotel to town (so those of advanced age or physical hindrances might have issues with the walk). Otherwise, good location in all.

The grounds and facilities were very nice and tasteful. Nice pool (small but nice), beautiful masonry work, nice poolside bar (small but nice). Nice breakfast eating area (again, small but nice).

Rooms were large and tastefully appointed.

Two issues for us:

1. Wi-Fi was abysmal. Don't expect internet access while at the hotel.
2. Air conditioning was not working well either (in two separate rooms)

But for us, the location was key as well as the facilities. Get to stay close to town without the "traffic" to keep you up at night.

Fix the A/C and internet and I'd rate it Excellent.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed 6 July 2014

This is a modern spacious hotel with wonderful friendly staff who will go out of their way to make your stay perfect. The room we had was large and comfortable, we even had our own cooling off pool , loungers, sun umbrella, outdoor table and settee.Just for our use and we noted the staff around every morning , cleaning and leaving fresh towels out for us.The main big pool and bar area is perfect as well.It is an easy 5 - 10 minute walk from the town of Fira , but hey , we are on holiday so we needed the exercise.If we were lucky enough to return, we would stay here.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed 30 June 2014

Hi fellow travellers, My husband & I spent a week at Astro Palace from 25th May - 1st June...25th Wedding Anniversary & my husband's 50th Birthday recently celebrated. We stayed in the Honeymoon suite...lovely, all lovely. 2nd floor private view of ocean & pool area from balcony relaxing.
The daily breakfast had lots of variety, fresh foods and lots of hot coffee served. Great start to the day when one had to tackle the 4 block walk up to the caldera & take in that gorgeous view of the bay. Local bus stop & laundrette very close by (2 blocks away). Dinner by pool or cocktails all fresh, cool and yummy.
We will be back!!!!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 June 2014

I stayed at this hotel for five nights. On the 6th night I moved, but only to be nearer the Caldera as was suggested by this hotel. It may have been that they had overbooked, but nevertheless the hotel moved me on to a superb hotel the last two nights and I have no qualms about that. It is a little out of the way for someone like me that has osteoarthritis and so doesn't walk that well. It's situated four blocks from the Caldera and on my own I didn't like to walk back late at night as the last part is situated around fields, although I'm sure I would have been fine as generally the Greek people are lovely. The staff generally are very friendly and helpful, I found Natalie a lovely girl who worked at the swimming pool bar and restaurant always had a smile on her face. However I did book a tour with the Reception Desk on the understanding it had a guide, which I later found wasn't the case, but they did give me my money back, so I would just double check things like that. Also the lift never went to my floor all the time I was there and as I say, with osteoarthritis they do need to pay a little more attention to detail! Room lovely, absolutely lovely although it said there was food in the fridge on the list I only found drinks. The room was spacious and had lovely patio, albeit not private. Breakfast good, dinner and lunch menu good, if limited.

Room Tip: If you want a private patio, do ask for one. I checked out a suite whilst there and that was lovel...