“Highlight of the trip”

and up
Santorini Wine Roads Tour with Wine Tastings
Ranked #3 of 10 Food & Drink in Fira
More attraction details
Owner description: Visit traditional wineries,and try wines made from indigenous grape varieties of Santorini. Enjoy a unique experience with our expertise Sommelier Vaio who greatly enjoys conducting wine education presentations, sharing his passion for wine with all levels of wine consumers from the novice to the most discerning wine connoisseur and traveler.Enjoy private or semi-private Food & Wine Tours, hands-on Cooking Classes, exclusive dinners and scenic island tours with us.
London
17 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Highlight of the trip”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2014

Husband and I booked a wine tasting tour with Santorini Wines tour. Our sommelier, Vaios, certainly knew his wines. He made the trip so much more, though. He brought his personal touch into the tour. He included everyone in his lessons. He didn't make you feel stupid because you are not that person who knows all about the complexity of a wine, etc. I would highly recommend this trip. We learned a lot about wine from Vaios.

Visited May 2014

• Greek first
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
142 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 275 helpful votes
“Cooking class and tasting”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2014

I booked the cooking class and tasting tour in June and it was a great experience.

Pros:
* Interesting wine museum
* Tasting 4 very different wines at the museum
* Scenic drive around the island
* Amazing food and all you can drink wine during cooking class
* George, our guide, was kind, funny and attentive. He truly made the day!

Cons:
* Not a cooking class, it's more of a demonstration
* No vineyard visit
* Sommelier at the wine museum did not give detailed information on the tasting samples

Details:
George picked me up in Firostefani exactly on time. I was paired with a wonderful family of 5 for the day. We were a bit cramped in the car, so we got to know each other quickly! On our way to the Wine Museum, he told us about Santorini and Greek culture in general while driving, making the ride fun and informative.

The wine museum was cool, the audio-guide was very useful. George explained about viticulture before we went in, showing us how the vines are grown by weaving them into basket-like shapes. The wines we tasted were delicious! I purchased some from their boutique.

The cooking demonstration we attended was at Ochre restaurant in Oia, and it was one of the best experiences I've had while traveling, EVER! We spent 3 hours with the chef and his assistant and learned to make 5 complete dishes, each more succulent than the last! My favourites were his version of the tomatokeftedes (cheese and herbs, sandwiched between 2 slices of tomatoes, fried to perfection and served with the tzatziki we'd just made) and the pork tigania made with vinsanto! TO DIE FOR!!!

The activity took place on the terrace overlooking the cliffs and the sea, in a shaded area under a canopy. We were served white wine while we cooked and enjoyed chatting with the chef, and learning tons of culinary techniques. AMAZING!

My issues with the Cooking class and Tasting Tour:

1- The tasting felt rushed. I was expecting more information on the wines we tasted. It felt like we were being lined up at a bar on a pub crawl and given shots.

2- It is not really a cooking class. It is more of a demonstration. You only get to chop half a tomato, a piece of cucumber, a chunk of pepper and a quarter of an onion. The chef does everything with his assistant, you don't get to cook. It was a great experience, but that's not what they describe in the brochure...

3- The website description said that we would be visiting selected vineyards, but we never did :( I don't know if it's because the museum visit or the cooking class took too long, but I was disappointed. I'm sure if we'd known in advance, we would have shortened our museum visit to be able to stop at actual vineyards. The small patch of vines at the museum doesn't make for a very authentic vineyard experience.

I still highly recommend booking a tour with this company. Next time, I would ask for a detailed itinerary before booking and I would confirm it before the tour.

Thank you George for the wonderful day!!!

Visited June 2014
2 Thank Julie P
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 27 helpful votes
“Vaios is a true professional”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2014

He knows his wine, that's for sure. But he's also very personable and patient with his customers. you're picked up in a very nice van. From that point on you are in good hands. The group in our tour was for the most part fun to be around. I was amazed at how Vaios handled himself with a few people who couldn't handle their wine. I highly recommend this tour, although if I had to do it again... I'd go private tour or semiprivate with food.

Bucharest, Romania
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Great Wine Museum in Santorini”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2014

Incredible story of the Santorini wines and the different grape types that are growing on the island . We went 8 meters underground, following a great story about the islanders and their crafting along the time, their habits and houses they had built, the culture , the food and wines. In the end we had a wine testing as a gift - 4 different Santorini wines , I would not know which was the best !

Midland, Michigan
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“A great experience!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 July 2014

My wife and I had a great time on the wine tour. We had the opportunity to learn more about the unique wines in Santorini, see parts of the island that we probably wouldn't have seen and since it's semi-private, got to meet great people from all over the world that were on the tour with us. Vaios was very knowledgeable about the wines, and encouraged participation and involvement. The wine tasting was one of the highlights of our trip to Santorini and we would definitely recommend this to others!

1 Thank apagan4182